Toronto Weird Boys

@BattleFlag Any further info on what your schedule might look like while you're here? I feel like we should lock down an evening soon-ish before one of us forgets. @Mather @juiceless

Good thinking. Looks like the Monday evening will still work the best for me. My flight gets in at 5:15 PM, so by the time I get sorted, take the UP Express and walk the six-ish blocks to my Airbnb, it will probably be 7:00. I'll be staying a couple blocks south of Nathan Phillips Square, so I'm within walking distance of a lot of places.

It will likely be all sorts of insane with Game 5 going on, which will be fun for drinking establishments. As @Mather pointed out, I think the only record store that will be open will be Sonic Boom if we wanted to include some digging. But I am down for whatever.

Good thinking. Looks like the Monday evening will still work the best for me. My flight gets in at 5:15 PM, so by the time I get sorted, take the UP Express and walk the six-ish blocks to my Airbnb, it will probably be 7:00. I'll be staying a couple blocks south of Nathan Phillips Square, so I'm within walking distance of a lot of places.

It will likely be all sorts of insane with Game 5 going on, which will be fun for drinking establishments. As @Mather pointed out, I think the only record store that will be open will be Sonic Boom if we wanted to include some digging. But I am down for whatever.
Monday June 10, ya? I'm down to clown.

It might also be tough to find space with the Raptors game going on that night (though I'm definitely fine with a bar with at least one TV to check on the game once in a while, heh).

Now the question is, where do we drink? @Mather works in that area-ish, maybe he could recommend a non-bullshit bar?
Well last time @DeadwaxDude @BjorgenFjorgen and myself met at The Banknote which is my old local. Its got TVs and decent food and lots of beer. That's King and Bathurst... It will certainly be full for the game but if we get there a bit early I don't think it should be too much trouble to get a seat. That's pretty close to Nathan Philips Square, about a 25 minute walk or a 10 minute TTC ride... Or....

There's the Jason George at Jarvis and Front... There's always the Monarch... But right around Nathan Philip's is rough for places that wont be bonkers with Raps fans. Rotate This and Banknote are fairly close to each other, however if we went there first we'd be getting to a bar after the game started and that could be tough... But somewhere like Cameron House or Foggy Dew would probably also have room, though I don't think Cameron House has a tv for the game...

Given that Game 5 is happening, it may also not work out to do records prior to. That's cool too, I can find some vinyl digging time somewhere during the week.

Given that Game 5 is happening, it may also not work out to do records prior to. That's cool too, I can find some vinyl digging time somewhere during the week.
Yeah we generally just drink too many beers when we get together. Based on when you're arriving I don't think digging would work out well that night.

Yeah we generally just drink too many beers when we get together. Based on when you're arriving I don't think digging would work out well that night.
Yeah I mean I can certainly grab a table for us before it gets too crazy as long as a few others arrive around the same time but I would think 6-630 should be fine

Yeah I mean I can certainly grab a table for us before it gets too crazy as long as a few others arrive around the same time but I would think 6-630 should be fine
Yeah I could probably get wherever just after 6. Another thing to think about though is how loud it'll be if the Raps game is like the main thing, instead of just on in the background. But I haven't been out any of the Raps game nights recently so I don't know what it's like anywhere.

Yeah I could probably get wherever just after 6. Another thing to think about though is how loud it'll be if the Raps game is like the main thing, instead of just on in the background. But I haven't been out any of the Raps game nights recently so I don't know what it's like anywhere.
Actually, it might be easier than ever to find a patio table...

From a casual look, both The Banknote and The Jason George look like my kind of places. Both look pretty walkable as well, which is a bonus. I might be a little bit after 6:30, given travel from YYZ, but likely not long after.

I find the Banknote TENDS to be a more casual sports crowd however I've also never been there with the Raps in the finals so who knows, but I don't think it's generally peoples first or even second choice for watching. If it's nuts there's also the Foggy Dew down the street and if not that then also the Old York which is just down the street from both of them and definitely will not have a crowd as I don't think they have tvs, Foggy Dew and Old York have patios... Foggy Dew is not the greatest as it's kinda like a Fionn McCools but it's fine, lots of different beer and a few tvs for the game... Jason George is good but it's much farther east and it MAY be harder to find an alternate place over that way... But I'm open to more suggestions too. The Maverick has a big patio at Bathurst and King as well but it might be crazy. But anyhow, fair amount of choice around there... I think if we secure a spot at six on a Monday should be fine wherever we want to go...

Back