The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

Talisker only gently smoky, but has this gorgeous briny quality that is pretty special. It’s absolutely worth a go! Talisker 10 if you can get it, Storm if that’s what’s available.
I bought this in CT last weekend. $70~ which is at the limit for what I want to spend normally but it’s really nice. The past few Scotches I’ve had have been all peated, heavily smoky, that during my first sip I thought, “holy shit, I forgot how good non-peated whisky can be.” My go-to used to be The Glenlivet 12 which was easily attainable for like $40 pre-Covid, now it’s also $60-70~ WTF

This one is very caramel-y, kind of sweet but in a warming way, not sickly. Overall very smooth. I’d buy this again for sure.

IMG_1461.jpeg

I bought this in CT last weekend. $70~ which is at the limit for what I want to spend normally but it’s really nice. The past few Scotches I’ve had have been all peated, heavily smoky, that during my first sip I thought, “holy shit, I forgot how good non-peated whisky can be.” My go-to used to be The Glenlivet 12 which was easily attainable for like $40 pre-Covid, now it’s also $60-70~ WTF

This one is very caramel-y, kind of sweet but in a warming way, not sickly. Overall very smooth. I’d buy this again for sure.

View attachment 193418
I’m glad you like it!!

Wilderness Trail Bourbon. A slightly off the beaten path brand that's always really good and worth a try. They do Bourbon, Wheat and Rye. This one is a single barrel bourbon at cask strength, but like most (all?) Wilderness, its a relatively low 110 proof.

20240216_193651.jpg

Oh that's weird... It was an ad. For booze. That was funny.

One moment...

Had a few different sips with friends while watching 3 Body Problem this evening:

Basil Hayden Malted Rye: This one’s a no thank you from me, and I typically enjoy both rye whiskey (including other 100% ryes). Weak nose and thin mouthfeel. Maybe it was just an off night for my palate?

Wild Turkey Single Barrel: It’s a WT101 single barrel. It was good.

Noah’s Mill: A Willett whiskey that’s not afraid to throw some elbows. Bit of ethanol in there, but a burly, nose and palate with quite a bit going on. Tastes like it’s got
more rye than it does.

Had a few different sips with friends while watching 3 Body Problem this evening:

Basil Hayden Malted Rye: This one’s a no thank you from me, and I typically enjoy both rye whiskey (including other 100% ryes). Weak nose and thin mouthfeel. Maybe it was just an off night for my palate?

Wild Turkey Single Barrel: It’s a WT101 single barrel. It was good.

Noah’s Mill: A Willett whiskey that’s not afraid to throw some elbows. Bit of ethanol in there, but a burly, nose and palate with quite a bit going on. Tastes like it’s got
more rye than it does.
The Basil Hayden weird stuff is so hit or miss for me, mostly miss but when it hits it really hits

Thankfully, this was a friend’s bottle.

I am open to suggestions though!
I like the dark rye but it is absolutely not for whiskey purists. I'm pretty sure it's mixed with port but I really like it as an after dinner drink. Other than that I'm not sure I like any of their regular offerings. I remember some of their one offs as being, at the very least, interesting. I like their standard bourbon because I generally like high ryes, but at the price point I'll get mid tier Four Roses if that's available instead.

I like the dark rye but it is absolutely not for whiskey purists. I'm pretty sure it's mixed with port but I really like it as an after dinner drink. Other than that I'm not sure I like any of their regular offerings. I remember some of their one offs as being, at the very least, interesting. I like their standard bourbon because I generally like high ryes, but at the price point I'll get mid tier Four Roses if that's available instead.
Four Roses all day. Even if I wanted a BH distillate I prefer Old Grand-Dad.

Back