The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

I've recently discovered the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. I read four of them over the past two weeks. They're really enjoyable and much better than the film series. Whats great is that they aren't in order, you can pick up any of them and its a self contained story, so I have been buying them at charity shops without having to worry about the order.

I started reading The Satanic Verses a little while back. About 200 pages in now and it hasn't really hooked me yet, but I'm very stubborn and I almost never quit books I've started. Midnight's Children was one of my favourite books when I read it in 2011, and I've really liked the other three Rushdie novels I've read, so I'm expecting I'll still like it.

Anyone else use Goodreads? I could use some new friends there; most of my circle is family and friends who read mostly tripe and it's fun to follow along with what other people are reading.

Is this going to be followed up by a "Then work came and made us free" thread about our jobs?

No! I try not to talk shop...

Funny story, will tell you all about senior civil servants...

My uncle is nearly at retirement in social welfare, he was in a meeting last week and was asked about suggestions on how to promote a back to work drive for the long term unemployed. He doesn’t give a shit anymore and suggested “Work Brings Freedom”. He was congratulated for his uncharacteristic good idea...

Anyone else use Goodreads? I could use some new friends there; most of my circle is family and friends who read mostly tripe and it's fun to follow along with what other people are reading.

I'm currently reading The Buried: An Archaeology of the Egyptian Revolution by Peter Hessler. It was one of my book options from BOTM club. Also reading The Book of M by Peng Shepherd.

Last edited:
I started reading The Satanic Verses a little while back. About 200 pages in now and it hasn't really hooked me yet, but I'm very stubborn and I almost never quit books I've started. Midnight's Children was one of my favourite books when I read it in 2011, and I've really liked the other three Rushdie novels I've read, so I'm expecting I'll still like it.

Keep at it - it’s a wild trip. There will be points that don’t make sense, and I really believe in riding those waves/not letting that get to you or affect your reading of the book. It’s an important book for its content, form, narrative, history, and cultural critique now as much as in the 80s when Rushdie wrote it.

What are the other 3?

Yeah, Shame and Haroun especially are great. Ground Beneath Her Feet, The Moor’s Last Sigh, Enchantress of Florenece are all definitely worth your time, too.
Definitely, I'll get to the rest eventually. I've got most of them on shelves or in boxes waiting.

Does anyone read Joan Didion’s work?

I’ve read a few, with ‘Slouching Towards Bethlehem’ being my favorite, and I just started ‘The Year of Magical Thinking’.

“I would always be guarded against artificial roses.” This book is going to rip me apart.

Does anyone read Joan Didion’s work?

I’ve read a few, with ‘Slouching Towards Bethlehem’ being my favorite, and I just started ‘The Year of Magical Thinking’.

“I would always be guarded against artificial roses.” This book is going to rip me apart.
I’ve only read Slouching Towards Bethlehem, just last year. But I loved it. She’s fantastic. Once I have the time, I’m gonna pick up that big anthology that came out a while back. It has a handful of her books in it, but not all of them.

This is what I've read so far this year. It's been my goal to read at least 12 books for the past two years now.
  1. The Incomplete Guide To Running - Peter Sagal
  2. Medium Raw - Anthony Bourdain
  3. Beastie Boys Book - Michael Diamond/Adam Horovitz
  4. I’ll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman’s Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer - Michelle McNamara
  5. Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
  6. Vacationland: True Stories from Painful Beaches - John Hodgman
  7. Let’s Go (So We Can Get Back) - Jeff Tweedy
  8. Maeve in America - Maeve Higgins
  9. Born to Run - Christopher McDougall
  10. Hot Sauce Nation - Denver Nicks
  11. Shortest Way Home - Pete Buttigieg
  12. Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
  13. All That You Leave Behind - Erin Lee Carr

Just coming to the end of Meet Me In The Bathroom.

It's been a rip roaring read. I love how everyone is so candid and bitchy and willing to spill all the beans. Some bits are really quite sad, like the split between Tim Goldsworthy and James Murphy. On that subject James comes across as a complete **** (the words of everyone who knows and worked with him, not mine) haha He's a genius, but a complete sociopath with it.

Back