The Quarantine Time Machine Record Rediscovery Roundtable

Yer Ol' Uncle D

I listen to a lot of records. In these strange days we're mired in with pretty much everything except essential employment and food runs eliminated, I'm listening to even more.

I'm purposefully pulling out things I haven't listened to in a long time. A long, long time. Really long. And it's been quite a blast. I thought it may make a fun thread so here we go...

The gist-

Whip out a record you haven't listened to in an age. Might be something you played to death and then put on the shelf for 10 years. Might be something you bought and forgot you even owned. Might be anything that's gathered some dust.

Give it a spin and share your thoughts.

My hope is y'all will have as much fun rediscovering your collection as I have, revisiting a record will ignite some old memories and stories to share, folks here may get turned on to a new old gem and everyone will have an enjoyable respite from the leaky boat we're all drifting in right now.

I'll go first...

Kansas - Monolith 1979

20200402_011207.jpg

Bought this copy when it was released in 1979. It's probably been a good 35 years since I sat down and listened to this LP front to back. As a high school junior, I really liked this record. Kansas was kind of a dust bowl Yes and their tractor prog pleased 17 year old me. Listening today it's still enjoyable with no songs overtly spectacular, no songs overtly poor. From what I recall this record wasn't a huge success. Of course, it had the odds stacked against it following Leftoverture and Point Of Know Return. It was pretty much predetermined Monolith would be a bit of a letdown. One thing that's undeniable - the cover of this record is great.

So, here's a related story. Kansas toured for Monolith and 3 friends and I went to see them on October 27th, 1979 in Greensboro, NC. The opener was Sniff 'N' The Tears. On this tour Kansas was playing the entire Monolith record front to back (pretty ballsy for that day and age) for the first set and then doing a hits set afterwards. As the first set came to a close, someone set off a smoke bomb in the middle of the floor. People started scrambling around erratically and like any upstanding, buzzed 17 year olds, we started to laugh. The smoke drifted up to us and it was in that moment I discovered it was not smoke at all - it was tear gas. At that point things pretty much turned into a stampede. We made it out in one piece. As we sat down to have our good cry together, one of the guys with us (not a logical thinker) said "Aw, man, I left my coat." and proceeded to go back inside and retrieve his prized garment. I lost touch with him after high school but always wondered if he or Darwin won.

A photo and news blurb from "the incident"...

Greensboro Coliseum

Heather Davis, 14, gets her eyes washed out by firemen on Oct. 27, 1979. About 60 people were treated for eye irritation after someone set off a tear gas grenade at the end of a concert by the rock group Kansas. Police said it was a miracle that no one was seriously hurt in the panic. News & Record archives.

Two things here -
Check out those gameday jerseys on the Greensboro Fire Dept.
This newspaper article is when Heather Davis' parents discovered she wasn't really spending the night a Julie's house.

Found my ticket stub. It's a shorty but it's the one. Yes kids, $8.00 used to get you an arena rock show.

20200402_011127.jpg

Last edited:
Back