The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

I suppose I just got burned by the whole VMP FOMO machine and ended up with a pile of albums I didn’t like. One of the many things I don't like about that company, but we diagress. I like a nice colour as much as anyone but it’s the whole fake fomo culture surrounding average remasters/presses on artificially limited things. I’m some ways I’ve enjoyed the second hand OGa that I’ve been hunting on discogs much more!
Yeh I can get that. I caught onto it pretty early and as a result only will have under a handful of albums I'm not sure I'll play much. No point unless the packaging is really something extra, like with Blade Runner 2049, and even then I'm pretty sure that's a bias stemming from my background in design. I only own a couple of old albums still (I really must sort the grabs post tomorrow) but one of them is Albert King's "I Wanna Get Funky", the 1974 UK release, and it's a beauty. Sounds great, looks great. I don't think it would have had the same 'tangibility' if it were a new VMP pressing in blue/purple nebula so it's certainly far from a clear cut "the more frills the better". Sometimes it can be fun and be a boon to it but I get pretty turned off seeing 10 variants for a record, especially if they're staggered in release.

Yeh I can get that. I caught onto it pretty early and as a result only will have under a handful of albums I'm not sure I'll play much. No point unless the packaging is really something extra, like with Blade Runner 2049, and even then I'm pretty sure that's a bias stemming from my background in design. I only own a couple of old albums still (I really must sort the grabs post tomorrow) but one of them is Albert King's "I Wanna Get Funky", the 1974 UK release, and it's a beauty. Sounds great, looks great. I don't think it would have had the same 'tangibility' if it were a new VMP pressing in blue/purple nebula so it's certainly far from a clear cut "the more frills the better". Sometimes it can be fun and be a boon to it but I get pretty turned off seeing 10 variants for a record, especially if they're staggered in release.

Yeah and to be honest beyond tangability a lot of new masters/presses are trash. All my 70s/80s presses that are clean and have been looked after sound infinitely better than almost all modern presses I own.

Yeah and to be honest beyond tangability a lot of new masters/presses are trash. All my 70s/80s presses that are clean and have been looked after sound infinitely better than almost all modern presses I own.
As someone still needing to get a copy of After The Gold Rush by Neil Young this is useful to know as general advice, thanks. Have a number of other old records I've held off of buying from Rough Trade etc. because I wondered if it was a better idea to try and find an original or older pressing.

As someone still needing to get a copy of After The Gold Rush by Neil Young this is useful to know as general advice, thanks. Have a number of other old records I've held off of buying from Rough Trade etc. because I wondered if it was a better idea to try and find an original or older pressing.

Neil Young’s represses are exceptional. He really gives a shit about how his releases sound. They’re a definite exception to the “modern records sound trash” rule 😂

Last edited:
Neil Young’s represses are exceptional. He really gives a shit about how his releases sound. They’re a definite exception to the “modern recorda sound trash” rule 😂
Oh wow! Fantastic to hear that as a large fan of his, cheers. Will order ATGR tomorrrow!
What were we just saying about orders being under control? 😆

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your table, hopefully it's an easy and quick fix. I picked up a copy of ATGR a bit ago and I'm really happy with it (and found a copy of Live Rust this weekend).

My Debut Carbon - Walnut showed up today. Hooking it up to my Pioneer SX-450 later today, and finally upgrading from my Audio Technica ATLP60. The LP60 has served me well, but really excited to get this new table up and running!
Let's see a photo when you do! I findi think the walnut had been released yet when I bought mine or I definitely would have gone in that direction!

Let's see a photo when you do! I findi think the walnut had been released yet when I bought mine or I definitely would have gone in that direction!

Got it up an running last night. I was hoping the walnut would be a solid piece of stained wood from the pics, but it's a laminate. Matches my desk & receiver nicely though. Absolutely love the look & sound of this turntable. The silence might be the most striking thing to me so far. I can really hear the absence of noise on the quiet tracks. Got some louder albums lined up for today to put it through it's paces.

IMG_7424.jpgIMG_7425.jpg

Got it up an running last night. I was hoping the walnut would be a solid piece of stained wood from the pics, but it's a laminate. Matches my desk & receiver nicely though. Absolutely love the look & sound of this turntable. The silence might be the most striking thing to me so far. I can really hear the absence of noise on the quiet tracks. Got some louder albums lined up for today to put it through it's paces.

View attachment 53858View attachment 53859
Too bad about the laminate, but it's still gorgeous!

I should have used this for my pic I suppose.

Also, I'm a bit intimidated about the prospect of replacing the cartridge someday, the fact that it came with a Turntable Protractor tells me it's going to be complicated!

View attachment 53870

It’s easier that you might think but it requires a little time, patience and care. If my clumsy self can do it anyone can 😂

After some time with searching for the turntable to replace the defective Thorens TD-160, I eventually went for a Pro-ject turntable. My setup current consists of:

Amplifier: Advanced Acoustic X-i 105
Speakers: Tannoy Revolution XT8F with Ogata speaker cables
Turntable: Pro-ject The Classic EVO equipped with the Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge
CD Player: Sony CDP 497

Last edited:
I'm finding that the Anti-Skate weight attached to the microfilament falls off infrequently. Any advice to get it to stick?

Back