The Next Thing You Should Listen To Is A Tone Sweep

psemeraro

In pro audio we measure, tune, measure, tune, etc until a system sounds good or is at least wrestled under control. Tools like SMAART Smaart v8 allow "transfer function" measurements which look at the DIFFERENCE between the source signal and the measurement mic.

After looking at hundreds of systems forensically, what if I told you that you can look deeply into the sound/performance of your own audio system for free and in just a few seconds/minutes?

Meet the "tone sweep". You can install software on your phone (I use "audio tools") and your phone is the ideal way to do this. What matters is you need the ability to slowly and smoothly "sweep" the entire frequency range and be able to stop at any point along the way while the tone plays. Audio Tools allows a smooth sweep from 5HZ to 23000 HZ. We want the sweep to be manually driven, move at your pace, and to activate the room as its part of the total system. Keep the level low/modest at first and get comfortable before you start to add power.

What you're listening for is a clean sine wave (MUST be sine wave!) "tone" that is perfectly consistent in level as you sweep through the frequencies. As a mono tone it should be located at a definable point dead center between your speakers and not move it's position. You'll also want to "sweep" one speaker at a time vs both combined. What you'll find will be enlightening.

Again, we're looking for a perfectly clean tone that is consistent in level and position as you sweep the frequency. This does NOT require a golden ear, I PROMISE you will learn things about your room and system in mere minutes. Try it on-axis, off-axis and in a few different locations.

Last edited:
Back