The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

I would really love to try a Luxman 550 with the Spatial Audio M3 Sapphires. Probably never happen but I can dream.
I really wish there were more opportunities to hear Spatials. I've only heard one set, but they still have me curious to give them another listen. I can't help but imagine they'd pair well with my Mastersound.

What do different DAC chips sound like

I'm planning on getting an ifi hipdac but the burr Brown chip isn't the must trusted chip for hifi

What do different DAC chips sound like

I'm planning on getting an ifi hipdac but the burr Brown chip isn't the must trusted chip for hifi

The 'sound' of DAC chips is considerably less significant than their implementation- filtering, output stage, power supply etc. Case in point, vast swathes of stuff uses the ESS Sabre but it emphatically doesn't sound all the same. FWIW, Burr Brown is still the basis of every Naim Audio digital product and none of that sounds shabby.

The 'sound' of DAC chips is considerably less significant than their implementation- filtering, output stage, power supply etc. Case in point, vast swathes of stuff uses the ESS Sabre but it emphatically doesn't sound all the same. FWIW, Burr Brown is still the basis of every Naim Audio digital product and none of that sounds shabby.
i just dunno what DAC sound i want... because too warm would be there would be a major issue of blurring out all highs and vocals being muffled... my 58X already sound kind of muddy on some bassier vinyl records like QOTSA (though its better on my computer) or even the blackalicious album

You'll need an ADC rather than a DAC to do needle drops!

Whoops, spent too much time looking at connectors and not enough at which direction they’re pointed. At least it’s returnable. :/

Any decent ADC recommendations? I have a cheapie but I don’t really trust the quality.

I might finally go for the Marantz HD-DAC1 (unless someone else has a solid DAC recommendation for under $500)...has anybody had experience buying open box from Music Direct? Seems like the HD-DAC1 is no longer in production so options are a little limited but there’s a demo open box on their site.

it would be to pair with an Auralic Aries Mini.

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It works great for the price.

Was able to cancel the Topping, so hurrah. I’ll check this out!

There’s also a Korg that looks good, but it makes me question how much I want to spend to have this capability. I don’t own any particularly rare records.

edit: I was able to get a Scarlett Solo from B&H for less than the Topping, with free Friday delivery. Thanks, @topofthedial!

Last edited:
I might finally go for the Marantz HD-DAC1 (unless someone else has a solid DAC recommendation for under $500)...has anybody had experience buying open box from Music Direct? Seems like the HD-DAC1 is no longer in production so options are a little limited but there’s a demo open box on their site.

it would be to pair with an Auralic Aries Mini.

I have purchased open box from MD. You’ll have no issues.

Was able to cancel the Topping, so hurrah. I’ll check this out!

There’s also a Korg that looks good, but it makes me question how much I want to spend to have this capability. I don’t own any particularly rare records.

edit: I was able to get a Scarlett Solo from B&H for less than the Topping, with free Friday delivery. Thanks, @topofthedial!

Please double-check my understanding, but I believe the Solo only has one input. That will work fine for mono records but not stereo.

The 2i2 can capture in stereo.

Please double-check my understanding, but I believe the Solo only has one input. That will work fine for mono records but not stereo.

The 2i2 can capture in stereo.

Ahh, I assumed the single input was stereo-capable, but of course it wouldn't be if it's intended for instruments and mics. D'oh.

Welp, I'll lose a few bucks on shipping doing the return, but I guess this is why you do your research first.

Last edited:
I ended up ordering a Behringer interface. It’s got two TRS line level inputs, so I should be doubly covered.

My plan is to get a hipdac or idsd nano and see if that makes a real difference

My sound card can't even natively do 16/44

It's stuck at 16/48

Back