The football thread RenegadeMonster is looking for: NFL talk

NFL Week 3 thoughts/observations:

1. The 49ers are probably the most under the radar 3-0 team (Buffalo might be the other). This week in particular, their offense frustrated me to no end. Not many times you win by having a -3 turnover differential. The botched handoffs alone nearly threw the game for San Francisco. Kyle Shanahan called an excellent game, but player execution was the worst of all teams this week. But like the previous two weeks, their defense has played tight and kept them in each and every contest. Limiting Pittsburgh to only 6 points off of 5 turnovers was the story of the game.

2. We are witnessing a generational talent at the QB position now. At the age of 24, Patrick Mahomes is averaging nearly 400 passing yards per game...on pace for 6000 yds for the season. The crazy thing is, I think that he can do it if/when *shudders* Tyreek Hill comes back. Couple that with a 10/0 TD/INT ratio, he is truly amazing to watch. An obvious lock for the postseason. Kansas City's offense is even more dynamic when you consider that LeSean McCoy is their 2nd option at RB. Defense is still a question mark on some levels of the unit, as there will be nights where they will be asked to close out games when 30 points is not enough.

3. Again, more bullshit from the zebras. While I understand that refereeing an NFL game is difficult as there are a multitude of moving parts, I absolutely am on the committee that believes refs SHOULD be fined for gross negligence/incompetence. How do they miss something as egregious as this?
    Sorry @Woob_woob and other Philly fans. :mad:

4. Outside of the Patriots and Chiefs at 1 and 2 respectively, not sure how I would assemble a Top 10 power rankings list. Each of the other 2 and 3 win teams have some clear or questionable weakness that make me hesitant to even pick a 3rd best team right now. It has been a very interesting first three weeks for sure.

Let me know of any other interesting observations! 🏈

NFL Week 4 thoughts/observations:

1. Shame on Washington to throw Dwayne Haskins to the wolves when he had no reps with the first-stringers. Of course Case Keenum sucks and is reckless with the ball, but you need to ride him out for the game. OBVIOUSLY Haskins couldn't perform well in that situation. On the other hand, it's early and he has had his share of mistakes, but Daniel Jones looks like he can play. The game was a pretty ugly offensive display (both teams had 4 turnovers!!!!), but one thing is clear...Jay Gruden needs to be fired ASAP.

2. Lots of upsets this week (I counted 7). Always a great thing to see in any sport. Would've been nice to see the Lions (and especially the Bills) add to it, but it's hard to score 35+ in this league for any team not named KC.

3. As a Bengals fan, I have mixed feelings about Vontaze Burfict. A great player for my team for many seasons, but enough was enough. I am of the opinion that the helmet-to-helmet call on Sunday was, although correct, was not worthy of a season long ban BUT him kissing to the audience and smiling while heading to the locker room changed my mind. A permanent ban may be what the league needs to do, but this is certainly something to debate.

Sorry that this took a while to post (and with not much content), as I had been out with my father doing random errands. Quarter of the reg season is over already :(

1. Shame on Washington to throw Dwayne Haskins to the wolves when he had no reps with the first-stringers. Of course Case Keenum sucks and is reckless with the ball, but you need to ride him out for the game. OBVIOUSLY Haskins couldn't perform well in that situation. On the other hand, it's early and he has had his share of mistakes, but Daniel Jones looks like he can play. The game was a pretty ugly offensive display (both teams had 4 turnovers!!!!), but one thing is clear...Jay Gruden needs to be fired ASAP.

As a Redskins fan I was pretty mad they threw Haskins out there too, especially knowing the next game was going to be against the Patriots and that once you play him, it's going to be hard to not continue to do so. I pray they don't start him this weekend, it wouldn't be good. I like Gruden, I think his offense gets guys open, but it's time for him to go, it's just not working. I am glad Snyder and Co. gave him plenty of time. Previously they were firing and hiring new coaches every couple years, I'm glad they've shown they'll give whoever the new coach is, a chance to build the team and fully implement their system.

2. Lots of upsets this week (I counted 7). Always a great thing to see in any sport. Would've been nice to see the Lions (and especially the Bills) add to it, but it's hard to score 35+ in this league for any team not named KC.

3. As a Bengals fan, I have mixed feelings about Vontaze Burfict. A great player for my team for many seasons, but enough was enough. I am of the opinion that the helmet-to-helmet call on Sunday was, although correct, was not worthy of a season long ban BUT him kissing to the audience and smiling while heading to the locker room changed my mind. A permanent ban may be what the league needs to do, but this is certainly something to debate.

Sorry that this took a while to post (and with not much content), as I had been out with my father doing random errands. Quarter of the reg season is over already :(
As a Redskins fan I was pretty mad they threw Haskins out there too, especially knowing the next game was going to be against the Patriots and that once you play him, it's going to be hard to not continue to do so. I pray they don't start him this weekend, it wouldn't be good. I like Gruden, I think his offense gets guys open, but it's time for him to go, it's just not working. I am glad Snyder and Co. gave him plenty of time. Previously they were firing and hiring new coaches every couple years, I'm glad they've shown they'll give whoever the new coach is, a chance to build the team and fully implement their system.

Reformed DC football team fan here (I will not cheer for a team with a racist name or that is owned by Danny boy), man, I watch my family agonize through the football season year after year after year. And it has been a good 20 years since I dropped them as my team. They've been not very good for the entirety of it. But this team has the opportunity to be the worst of the bunch. Racing the Dolphins to the bottom. Dan is awful for that team and he needs to go. He won't, so the DC team will continue to cause my family pain.

The Saints though. See, told ya they were stacked! The Bucs could give them a bit of trouble this weekend. I think if they win this game, we can count on seeing the Saints in the post season.

The Burfict hit in a silo was not worthy of a season long ban. But it is the continued resistance to change that is worthy of the ban. He is simply not going to change how he hits people or how dirty he is. He just isn't. He's been given tons of chances and warnings. I think if the ban is for the full season (or most of it), and when he returns, if he has another dirty hit, he's gone for life.

NFL Week 5 thoughts/observations:

1. The 49ers look like a complete team and will be my team I look most forward to watching this season. They may have the best defense out of the entire NFC. Their scheme reminds me a lot like the SB winning Seahawks from 2013:
    • Get after the quarterback with fierce pass rushers. This is the benefit of stacking 1st round picks with DL year after year.
    • Excellent tackling technique and angles (youth in the LB corps certainly helps), and
    • Pounding the rock. For Seattle's team, it was a one man wrecking crew with Marshawn Lynch. For this year's 49ers, it is with a deep RB stable. Matt Brieda, Tevin Coleman, and Raheem Mostert are not marquee RB names, but they are all efficient in their opportunities and provide for excellent versatility in their attack.
    • Leadership from the secondary. Although not the famed "Legion of Boom" of Seattle (their leadership comes from one former member!), their secondary has been able to shut down opposing pass catchers downfield on the strength of bullet point 1.
  2. The Carolina Panthers are 3-0 these past few weeks with a backup QB (who has played respectable, to his credit). But the real star? Christian McCaffrey. The man has piled up 866 scrimmage yards so far, more than Ezekiel Elliott and Todd Gurley COMBINED. He's on the board as a dark-horse MVP candidate as the Panthers have entered back into the fold.

3. Back to the drawing board for the Cleveland Browns. What a nightmare of a game; I can't think of any positive takeaways for them.
    • Baker Mayfield: 8/22 for 100 yds, 0 TD/2 INT, 2 fumbles (1 lost). Took 4 sacks for a loss of 42 yards. Absolutely putrid. To be fair, one of the INTs was a drop from Callaway in the endzone. Not much else to salvage.
    • Nick Chubb may have had a nice YPC, but there was no impact. He is integral to the success of the offense, but the OL stinks to high heaven.
    • Rush defense got taken behind the woodshed to the tune 275 total yards, averaging nearly 7 yards allowed per rush. Browns DL has some young and veteran talent, but it's nearly impossible for any defense to have the energy to be on the field so often and overcome 4 turnovers to none (don't forget the laughably bad OBJ fumble on special teams).
    • Nick Bosa got his revenge from the Ohio State / Oklahoma battle. He just feasted tonight. Defining moment was on a TWO MAN RUSH.
  4. Other than maybe Week 4, there has been a slip up in every week for the NFL. This week, it was the handling of Mason Rudolph's concussion. So much embarrassment went down:
    • The moment Earl Thomas made helmet contact with Mason Rudolph, you could see from the slow motion replay that Rudolph's body was lifeless and limp when falling to the field. After the people on the sideline were able to get him conscious, they tried to get the cart out for him. Only one problem...THE CART FAILED TO START UP ON THE FIELD. So, you'd think medical stretchers would be next, right? Wrong! They literally made the rookie QB have to WALK OFF THE FIELD, with the help of team staff. The NFL seriously doesn't have a second cart ready? Or if the first cart doesn't work, have several people push the first cart? What a shameful display of unpreparedness by the NFL.
    • Former NFL punter Pat McAfee offered some pretty damning thoughts on the ordeal: "There's no way a billion dollar operation should have people pushing the stretcher cart off the field. And then they said Mason Rudolph wanted to walk off the field. Was Mason Rudolph in ANY condition to answer any questions about what he wanted and what he didn't want?"
    • We can debate all we want about Earl Thomas's QB hit on Mason Rudolph and whether his intentions were malicious or not. We can debate if he should've been ejected (he's always been a physical safety and hasn't been tossed in his career), and I hope he doesn't get a suspension. It's not about him though. It's about the fact that NFL player safety is still not being given the priority it desperately deserves, and it's fucking embarrassing.
Let me know of some other observations!
Rudolph was exhibiting the fencing posture. There is zero way he should have been allowed to walk off that field. Why wasn't an ambulance brought out? Another cart? The Steelers should be punished in a big way for this. And if he plays this weekend or even this month, oh man. No.

You have been ignoring the Saints and how scary they look even without Drew and his bible! ;)

NFL Week 6 thoughts/observations:

1. Pretty glad that I didn't have a power rankings list after Week 3 now, hm? After three weeks, Dallas and LA Rams were undefeated and looked solid on both sides of the trenches. Both of these teams have now dropped three in a row. I wouldn't have either of these teams in my top 10, even if the Rams just acquired Jalen Ramsey.

2. On the topic of Jalen Ramsey, why did the Rams get him? They sacrificed a lot of their future assets (2 first rounders + a future 4th), and he's in a contract year!!! I understand that Peters may have been getting cooked frequently, but I think that the Rams will regret getting Ramsey. I don't even know how they are going to have the cap space to sign him to a long term deal. Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, and Aaron Donald are the highest paid players at their respective positions. Sounds like they're betting the house this year on the young CB. Weird time to do it too, since Seattle and SF have the likely MVP and the league's second best defense, respectively.

3. Gotta talk about the Saints, since @Teeeee brought them up. They are indeed loaded. Even on a week where the offense was not firing on all cylinders, the defense locked in and held Minshew to under 50% completion, and under 240 yards of offense. Teddy Bridgewater, while not flashy at all, doesn't need to be. His game kind of reminds me Alex Smith's, and in a very good way (limiting turnovers, plays within his limits, does not force the ball, not quite as athletic as Alex in his prime though). Looks like this team will have a playoff bye assuming no injuries.

4. Not really a Lions fan, but they got robbed. I do understand that the Lions settled for 5 FGs, but they were controlling the game for all of the first half and a big majority of the second. The NFL had to set it up for viewers so Aaron Rodgers could complete another one of his "heroic comebacks." Don't think anyone other than Packers fans are going to argue.
Feel free to comment or make other interesting observations! 🏈

1. Pretty glad that I didn't have a power rankings list after Week 3 now, hm? After three weeks, Dallas and LA Rams were undefeated and looked solid on both sides of the trenches. Both of these teams have now dropped three in a row. I wouldn't have either of these teams in my top 10, even if the Rams just acquired Jalen Ramsey.

2. On the topic of Jalen Ramsey, why did the Rams get him? They sacrificed a lot of their future assets (2 first rounders + a future 4th), and he's in a contract year!!! I understand that Peters may have been getting cooked frequently, but I think that the Rams will regret getting Ramsey. I don't even know how they are going to have the cap space to sign him to a long term deal. Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, and Aaron Donald are the highest paid players at their respective positions. Sounds like they're betting the house this year on the young CB. Weird time to do it too, since Seattle and SF have the likely MVP and the league's second best defense, respectively.

3. Gotta talk about the Saints, since @Teeeee brought them up. They are indeed loaded. Even on a week where the offense was not firing on all cylinders, the defense locked in and held Minshew to under 50% completion, and under 240 yards of offense. Teddy Bridgewater, while not flashy at all, doesn't need to be. His game kind of reminds me Alex Smith's, and in a very good way (limiting turnovers, plays within his limits, does not force the ball, not quite as athletic as Alex in his prime though). Looks like this team will have a playoff bye assuming no injuries.

4. Not really a Lions fan, but they got robbed. I do understand that the Lions settled for 5 FGs, but they were controlling the game for all of the first half and a big majority of the second. The NFL had to set it up for viewers so Aaron Rodgers could complete another one of his "heroic comebacks." Don't think anyone other than Packers fans are going to argue.
NINERS!!!!

Let me just say that after a number of awful years it's really nice to see the Niners playing this well again. Still a number of tough games ahead (vs. Packers, @ Seattle, @ New Orleans) but I'm really proud of and excited for the way the defense is playing. Hopefully once we starting getting some guys back from injury on the O line and our FB we'll see the running game back to full strength. Jimmy G hasn't turned out to be the greatest of QB's but with a great running game he does a pretty good job of managing the game. Plus he's dead sexy. :)

giphy.gif

Thank you! ;)

Also - damn - this season is ROUGH on the QBs. I hate to see QBs going down like this.

Did anyone read the article about Alex Smith and his 17 surgeries on his leg?!?! I knew it was bad, I had heard the rumors that amputation was in discussion at one point. But I didn't know it was 17 surgeries bad. Damn.

Apologies for not posting earlier, but not really feeling an update for Week 7. Didn't really see anything too important to mention.

I will say though @Teeeee, since you mentioned Alex Smith, he seems to be rehabbing well. He's been throwing passes at the team facility to get himself ready when he's 100% (although his age makes me doubt 100% will ever be possible). He's a good human being, got a raw deal in SF, and been through so much dysfunction that he didn't deserve. I'm pulling for him.

Apologies for not posting earlier, but not really feeling an update for Week 7. Didn't really see anything too important to mention.

I will say though @Teeeee, since you mentioned Alex Smith, he seems to be rehabbing well. He's been throwing passes at the team facility to get himself ready when he's 100% (although his age makes me doubt 100% will ever be possible). He's a good human being, got a raw deal in SF, and been through so much dysfunction that he didn't deserve. I'm pulling for him.
I'm pulling for him also. And I hope he gets far far far away from that DC team that just chews up people, ruins them and spits them out.

NFL Week 8 thoughts/observations:

1. I honestly expected more trades at the deadline. On specific teams that engaged or declined trades:
    • Chicago Bears. I am shocked that they did not pursue a QB upgrade. At 3-4, their season seems to be on the brink, especially with the Packers at 7-1, and the Vikings ripping off 4 straight since their loss at Chicago. The defense of the Bears is being asked to do too much, and Trubisky is too much of a liability, despite their skill position players being competent. They have some rough matchups ahead, so I will be stunned if they finish the season 8-8 or above.
    • Los Angeles Rams. Trading Aqib Talib for not much in return seems like a salary dump to be in position to sign Jalen Ramsey to a sizeable extension. The team they have now is what they have for the next 3 or 4 years, essentially. They will go as far as Goff can take them. Unfortunate timing considering the presence of the Seahawks and the rebirth of the 49ers. Speaking of the 49ers...
    • San Francisco 49ers. Trading for Emmanuel Sanders may end up being an underrated trade that completes this offense. While not quite the WR1 he was with Denver, he can become a "WR 1.5" as he can still get separation. So many weapons for head coach Kyle Shanahan to experiment with for the remaining half of the season, and the run game should still be top-tier.
    • Cincinnati Bengals. I've been facepalming the (lack of) moves that my team has been making. The benching of Andy Dalton was such a brain-dead move; it killed his potential trade value to upgrade a team's QB situation (I'm thinking Chicago mostly). Not moving any of the other valuable assets (Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap) was also ridiculous. I feel sorry for AJ Green, who actually wants to be a Bengal for life. I almost cried when I read the article. This organization doesn't deserve a player like Green. They'll probably lose him for nothing in the offseason. 😭
    • The AFC as a whole. No sensible trades in this conference that could move the needle. It seems a foregone conclusion that the New England Patriots will make their fourth straight SB appearance.

2. Contenders should be getting healthier (Brees is back for the Saints, Mahomes for the Chiefs soon, etc.) for the upcoming week. Looking to see which of these will rip off 5 of 8 or better during the back half of the regular season. People making a lot of hype of San Francisco possibly finishing undefeated, but that's a little extreme.

Not a lot of observations, mainly just trade deadline comments. Let me know of anything else interesting! :)

• Cincinnati Bengals. I've been facepalming the (lack of) moves that my team has been making. The benching of Andy Dalton was such a brain-dead move; it killed his potential trade value to upgrade a team's QB situation (I'm thinking Chicago mostly). Not moving any of the other valuable assets (Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap) was also ridiculous. I feel sorry for AJ Green, who actually wants to be a Bengal for life. I almost cried when I read the article. This organization doesn't deserve a player like Green. They'll probably lose him for nothing in the offseason. 😭

At this point I'm honestly saying good riddance and I hope Brown up and leaves for another city once the stadium deal is up. He has no clue how to run a team and has done nothing good for the city in years. Yes, we definitely should have made multiple trades before the deadline, including Andy if anyone would have taken him for a worthwhile return. No matter how well FInley does the rest of the year, I still think we have to draft QB for the long term health of the offense. Then OL. Then LB. Man, there are just way too many needs on this team to have any chance of getting better in just 1 draft unless you have multiple picks per round, which is possible IF YOU MAKE TRADES.

I've watched less football this season that I ever have, paying as little attention as I need to to take care of my fantasy teams. I've been so much happier on Sundays.

NFL Week 8 thoughts/observations:

1. I honestly expected more trades at the deadline. On specific teams that engaged or declined trades:
    • Chicago Bears. I am shocked that they did not pursue a QB upgrade. At 3-4, their season seems to be on the brink, especially with the Packers at 7-1, and the Vikings ripping off 4 straight since their loss at Chicago. The defense of the Bears is being asked to do too much, and Trubisky is too much of a liability, despite their skill position players being competent. They have some rough matchups ahead, so I will be stunned if they finish the season 8-8 or above.
    • Los Angeles Rams. Trading Aqib Talib for not much in return seems like a salary dump to be in position to sign Jalen Ramsey to a sizeable extension. The team they have now is what they have for the next 3 or 4 years, essentially. They will go as far as Goff can take them. Unfortunate timing considering the presence of the Seahawks and the rebirth of the 49ers. Speaking of the 49ers...
    • San Francisco 49ers. Trading for Emmanuel Sanders may end up being an underrated trade that completes this offense. While not quite the WR1 he was with Denver, he can become a "WR 1.5" as he can still get separation. So many weapons for head coach Kyle Shanahan to experiment with for the remaining half of the season, and the run game should still be top-tier.
    • The AFC as a whole. No sensible trades in this conference that could move the needle. It seems a foregone conclusion that the New England Patriots will make their fourth straight SB appearance.
  2. Contenders should be getting healthier (Brees is back for the Saints, Mahomes for the Chiefs soon, etc.) for the upcoming week. Looking to see which of these will rip off 5 of 8 or better during the back half of the regular season. People making a lot of hype of San Francisco possibly finishing undefeated, but that's a little extreme.

Not a lot of observations, mainly just trade deadline comments. Let me know of anything else interesting! :)
I'm looking forward to tonight's Niners vs Cardinals game but am a bit worried...I know the Niners should win easily but they haven't beaten the Cards in years plus it feels a bit like a trap game with the Niners possibly looking ahead to their next game vs the Seahawks.

Back