The Beatles

This is the same guy that thought we needed a 3 and a half hour adaptation of King Kong as well.
His movies are hella long. However, Return of the King feels longer than it is, as does Get Back. I don’t feel that way with the rest of his movies. Even the Hobbit.

His movies are hella long. However, Return of the King feels longer than it is, as does Get Back. I don’t feel that way with the rest of his movies. Even the Hobbit.
Agreed, although Get Back was a little different, he didn't shoot it, but it sure feels like he was hell bent on using every single scrap of film there was.

Hahaha! I was slagging the hobbit to be fair! At least he cut shit out of lotr, he clearly didn’t with this and he actually added a load of extra bollocks to the hobbit lol!
I mean he cut stuff out of lotr and added other stuff. It’s baffling.

When I saw Return of the King in theaters there was a time I swore credits were about to roll but there was still about an hour left.
When I saw it in theater there were about five times everyone got up because we were sure it was finally done.

I like Get Back but it is too long, like with all his movies. However, I think that’s almost the point. The tiny details and chit chat and aimless footage rehearsing all adds up to what I assume is an accurate portrayal of what it’s like making an album. I think the point is how much and how little goes on during the sessions - and how you can feel the tension is some parts but also the lightness. But just because that’s the point, it doesn’t mean the film (or series?) is great. It lacks a driving force of progression, and sometimes I like that, other times I wish it would get going more. It’s kind of a mixed bag. But hey getting this much footage of the Beatles just being themselves and making an album is actually pretty cool. It just isn’t a super successful documentary from an entertaining perspective.

I like Get Back but it is too long, like with all his movies. However, I think that’s almost the point. The tiny details and chit chat and aimless footage rehearsing all adds up to what I assume is an accurate portrayal of what it’s like making an album. I think the point is how much and how little goes on during the sessions - and how you can feel the tension is some parts but also the lightness. But just because that’s the point, it doesn’t mean the film (or series?) is great. It lacks a driving force of progression, and sometimes I like that, other times I wish it would get going more. It’s kind of a mixed bag. But hey getting this much footage of the Beatles just being themselves and making an album is actually pretty cool. It just isn’t a super successful documentary from an entertaining perspective.
Not all albums are made that way. They had the luxary of their own studio spaces. Someone early on mentions the price of tape. This was an example of premiere artists getting to do it their way.

Not all albums are made that way. They had the luxary of their own studio spaces. Someone early on mentions the price of tape. This was an example of premiere artists getting to do it their way.

Yeah totally. They’d reached that point in their career where they called the shots and were worth any cost to the record company. In stark contrast to recording Please Please Me in one day only 8 years before.

Small side bar, but Beatles related. I got a nice Union Jacks record case for my birthday and I'm going to make a make-shift Beatles MoFi box set out of it, only short two albums. The MoFi & Beatles logo are photoshoped, planning on getting some vinyl stickers cut for the box and playing around with ideas :)

20211130_211115.jpg

Best part of the documentary...

3EkKmX.gif

I can't stop thinking abut Get Back. I loved it, and am sad there aren't another 6 hours to watch.
So many highlights throughout...

George working on Old Brown Shoe on the piano
Billy Preston's smile
Ringo just simply being the the exact thing the Beatles needed. Solid drumming, always on task.
The version of Shake Rattle and Roll and a few other tunes they messed around with. I think I'd like to hear those again. The band was really really tight by then.
Paul singing Let it Be. I just can't get enough of it. (Same with Long and Winding Road)
George working out Something. Glad he ditched Moth to Flame line.
John's goofiness in small doses but also John's singing voice when he really chose to dial it in.
The smiles shared between John and Paul during the rooftop performance.
So many more!

Now I think I need the Let it Be boxset. Who here has it?

Last edited:
I can't stop thinking abut Get Back. I loved it, and am sad there aren't another 6 hours to watch.
So many highlights throughout...

George working on Old Brown Shoe on the piano
Billy Preston's smile
Ringo just simply being the the exact thing the Beatles needed. Solid drumming, always on task.
The version of Shake Rattle and Roll and a few other tunes they messed around with. I think I'd like to hear those again. The band was really really tight by then.
Paul singing Let it Be. I just can't get enough of it. (Same with Long and Winding Road)
George working out Something. Glad he ditched Moth to Flame line.
John's goofiness in small doses but also John's singing voice when he really chose to dial it in.
The smiles shared between John and Paul during the rooftop performance.
So many more!

Now I think I need the Let if Be boxset. Who here has it?
Ringo has always been a bit of the unsung Beatle, I've always appreciated him as a drummer and what he brought to the group, but have a new/elevated appreciation for him now.

Back