Television

We take long-ish breaks from watching Downton Abbey, and during that time away I convince myself that it's boring. Then we get back to it, and it really brings me in. That show is masterfully done; it's not edgy or intense yet so many other things make it work.

I finished watching Tell Me Your Secrets yesterday.

I thought the show was pretty good. It's a real mind bender. It's on Prime Video if anyone want's to check it out.

We take long-ish breaks from watching Downton Abbey, and during that time away I convince myself that it's boring. Then we get back to it, and it really brings me in. That show is masterfully done; it's not edgy or intense yet so many other things make it work.
Yeah, I really enjoyed Downton Abbey and, similarly to Mad Men; though not quite at that same level quality though not too far off, the setting and the fact it’s an immaculate crafted period piece are the real reasons to tune in.

I wanna throw a recommendation out there for ya based on what you have watched and enjoyed...

Have you ever seen or heard of Babylon Berlin?

Phenomenal period piece set in 1929 Berlin during the Weimar Republic. It’s ultimately a neo noir detective show but it is done exquisitely well. The biggest issue is it’s in German but Netflix gives you plenty the option of either subtitles or dubbing. It reminds me a bit of HBO’s recent remake of Perry Mason. Definitely worth a watch if you comfortable with the sub/dub nature of the dialogue. Also, you get at least one amazing Bryan Ferry performance.

Last edited:
Yeah, I really enjoyed Downton Abbey and, similarly to Mad Men; though not quite at that same level quality though not too far off, the setting and the fact it’s an immaculate period piece are the real reasons to turn in.

I wanna throw a recommendation out there for ya based on what you have watched and enjoyed...

Have you ever seen or heard Babylon Berlin?

I haven't heard of it, but I am going to be looking for another show soon. Thinking a Peaky Blinders re-watch will fit in there somewhere too.

So what's the story with Babylon Berlin?

Downton Abbey is such a beautifully crafted show. It's one of my favorites.

Finally got into Schitts Creek. I believe I mentioned pages back - when they were gobbling up awards for the final season and people were going on about it here - that I had watched the first 2-3 episodes but it didn't really grab my interest.

I knew - given all the praise here and, specifically to me, from @MsLoganHenney - that I'd eventually revisit it. It just wasn't on the top of my list. I feel like, for me, it became like the most recent version of A Star is Born. I knew I'd eventually watch it but put if off for a while 'cause I figured it would be a fine watch, but I wasn't necessarily champing at the bit. It became a "when I didn't have anything else to watch" movie. And...boy was I wrong 'cause it was a great movie. So much like that, Schitt's Creek has held that place for me - when I didn't have anything else I really wanted to watch. When Schitt's Creek should have been something I really wanted to watch all along.

I rewatched through the few episodes I'd seen and about 2/3 through the first season I knew I was hooked. I'm now mid-way through S03.

What a great set of characters. I like the way they're developing them all - the tightening relationship (albeit at a somewhat glacial pace, but it fits the Roses' whole attitude) between the family members (especially the parents to the children and Alexis and David to one another - I just finished the episode where David takes his driver's test and he and Alexis have a moment on the way home and it was sweet).

I am just on edge wanting to see how the relationships between David and Stevie and Alexis and Mutt develop. Now, I have little doubt they will revisit a relationship between Alexis and Mutt (don't correct me if I'm wrong); but David and Stevie I'm not so sure. I could see that relationship having a pin put in it as a strict friendship. Speaking of Stevie, I like how she is kind of becoming a kind of surrogate Rose - Johnny just took over her books after she inherited the motel and I appreciated the crying embrace she gave him (even if it was prompted by a moment's relief of desperation he brought).

The ending of S02 was so beautiful - gave me a warm feeling. It's the Roses' anniversary and they go to the restaurant and run into their old friends. The tongue-lashing that Johnny gives to them and in defense - replete with some Rose-esque backhandedness - of Roland and Joceyln was a lovely moment. And the shot of them all dancing at Mutt's barn party at the end, both as a family and becoming - to varying individual degrees - more integrated into Schitt's Creek capped off the episode and season very well.

Finally, all of the characters and their respective characters are wonderful. But, hot damn Daniel Levy and Catherine O' Hara! Levy is wonderful in his facial expressions and conveyance of (mostly) disgust with them.

But O' Hara's Moira is in a league of its own on that show - and that's saying something because, again, it's a great ensemble cast (both main and supporting). I've, of course, seen O' Hara in many things throughout the years. But, I was saying to the wife that no matter what I saw her in I think there was always the "Oh, Home Alone mom" in the back of my mind; mainly because of the age I was when it came out (we had it on VHS so it's greatly tied into the childhood nostalgia factory). But I think her portrayal of Moira Rose may be the best role I've ever seen her in. I'm not going to say anything new about what makes her so great in it that hasn't already been said by the numerous accolades of critics, but....

The affectation of her voice (the way she pronounces words get me all the time), her almost signature way of dressing, etc....so wonderful. I've read a couple things online about the character and it seems most of these things that make the character so great were not written by the show writers but were choices made and brought by O'Hara herself. Total respect!

Any way, I'm glad I couldn't think of what else to watch 'cause it is a total gem of a show.

Finally got into Schitts Creek. I believe I mentioned pages back - when they were gobbling up awards for the final season and people were going on about it here - that I had watched the first 2-3 episodes but it didn't really grab my interest.

I knew - given all the praise here and, specifically to me, from @MsLoganHenney - that I'd eventually revisit it. It just wasn't on the top of my list. I feel like, for me, it became like the most recent version of A Star is Born. I knew I'd eventually watch it but put if off for a while 'cause I figured it would be a fine watch, but I wasn't necessarily champing at the bit. It became a "when I didn't have anything else to watch" movie. And...boy was I wrong 'cause it was a great movie. So much like that, Schitt's Creek has held that place for me - when I didn't have anything else I really wanted to watch. When Schitt's Creek should have been something I really wanted to watch all along.

I rewatched through the few episodes I'd seen and about 2/3 through the first season I knew I was hooked. I'm now mid-way through S03.

What a great set of characters. I like the way they're developing them all - the tightening relationship (albeit at a somewhat glacial pace, but it fits the Roses' whole attitude) between the family members (especially the parents to the children and Alexis and David to one another - I just finished the episode where David takes his driver's test and he and Alexis have a moment on the way home and it was sweet).

I am just on edge wanting to see how the relationships between David and Stevie and Alexis and Mutt develop. Now, I have little doubt they will revisit a relationship between Alexis and Mutt (don't correct me if I'm wrong); but David and Stevie I'm not so sure. I could see that relationship having a pin put in it as a strict friendship. Speaking of Stevie, I like how she is kind of becoming a kind of surrogate Rose - Johnny just took over her books after she inherited the motel and I appreciated the crying embrace she gave him (even if it was prompted by a moment's relief of desperation he brought).

The ending of S02 was so beautiful - gave me a warm feeling. It's the Roses' anniversary and they go to the restaurant and run into their old friends. The tongue-lashing that Johnny gives to them and in defense - replete with some Rose-esque backhandedness - of Roland and Joceyln was a lovely moment. And the shot of them all dancing at Mutt's barn party at the end, both as a family and becoming - to varying individual degrees - more integrated into Schitt's Creek capped off the episode and season very well.

Finally, all of the characters and their respective characters are wonderful. But, hot damn Daniel Levy and Catherine O' Hara! Levy is wonderful in his facial expressions and conveyance of (mostly) disgust with them.

But O' Hara's Moira is in a league of its own on that show - and that's saying something because, again, it's a great ensemble cast (both main and supporting). I've, of course, seen O' Hara in many things throughout the years. But, I was saying to the wife that no matter what I saw her in I think there was always the "Oh, Home Alone mom" in the back of my mind; mainly because of the age I was when it came out (we had it on VHS so it's greatly tied into the childhood nostalgia factory). But I think her portrayal of Moira Rose may be the best role I've ever seen her in. I'm not going to say anything new about what makes her so great in it that hasn't already been said by the numerous accolades of critics, but....

The affectation of her voice (the way she pronounces words get me all the time), her almost signature way of dressing, etc....so wonderful. I've read a couple things online about the character and it seems most of these things that make the character so great were not written by the show writers but were choices made and brought by O'Hara herself. Total respect!

Any way, I'm glad I couldn't think of what else to watch 'cause it is a total gem of a show.
I caught a random episode that a friend was watching a year or two ago, and it didn’t seem like something I was interested in. Finally gave it a shot a few months ago when like you, I couldn’t figure out what else to watch.

Slogged through the first season, but starting at the end of season 1 and through season 2, I was hooked. Knocked the rest of the series out in 1 week 😂

Wonder if this reboot will be worth checking out.
Both John Mahoney and Eddie are dead so It’s definitely gonna have a different vibe. Has anyone from the original cast signed on?

Back