Sounds Delicious

As mentioned earlier, I've been waiting with anticipation for something that hits me like the Gibbard, Yumi Zouma, and Mutual Benefit albums did in the very beginning. It looks like this release will do just that. 🤘
I have the Gibbard and Ava Luna. The Gainsbourg was interesting to hear with a female singer, based around the subject matter.

I liked the Ava Luna album too. I like almost all of them, with a few exceptions. Here's my quick off-the-top-of-my-head thoughts for each so far.

Yumi Zouma - (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
Perfect amount of synth-pop for me, leaning more into indie pop than modern-Coachella-electro-pop. A really breezy, clean, clear, fun way to re-intepret a poppy rock record from my childhood.

Jonathan Rado - Born To Run
I like this one but it is pretty straight-forward and easy to forget. I had *not* listened to the original album in full before hearing this.

Mutual Benefit - Just Another Diamond Day
Like electro/synth-pop, folk is a dicey genre for me. Sometimes I am all in and in love and sometimes folk can veer into an end of the spectrum that really grates on me. And like Yumi Zuoma, Mutual Benefit finds the perfect balance for me. This is tied with the Ben Gibbard for my favorite of the series. I had *not* listened to the original album in full before hearing this.

Ben Gibbard - Bandwagonesque
DCFC haven't released anything in a decade that hits me and turns my critical brain off, so I was curious how this would turn out. This is the right amount of saccharine Gibbard-ness and really well balanced. I had *not* listened to the original album in full before hearing this.

Quilt - Spirit Of The Golden Juice
Quilt are a good band and this cover album is good but I am not at all a fan of psychedelic rock, so I don't dig this very much. It did get me to listen to the F.J. McMahon original album though and I love that record.

Frankie Rose - Seventeen Seconds
This one is rad but, from what I remember, it's weirdly short in length. I could be remembering that wrong but, as you can tell, I haven't returned to this. It's one of the many "this is good..." albums in the series that I eventually forget about.

Ava Luna - Histoire De Melody Nelson
This one is another rad one. I put it just a tick behind my top 3-4 and I am making a mental note to listen to it again next time I'm by the record player. I had *not* listened to the original album in full before hearing this.

Gems - Imagine
This is a great example of where synth/electro pop goes wrong for me. Not a fan at all. No disrespect to Gems or people who like it. It's on me and my tricky relationship with the genre.

Hats - Pure Bathing Culture
Not into this one at all. It's not the same synth thing that I have an aversion to as the Gems album but it's a flavor of new wave that I never really dug. I had *not* listened to the original album in full before hearing this.

Cults - Motels
I dig this one. I have to listen to it again. It's in the same solid, middle enjoyment category as Frankie Rose and Rado for me. I had *not* listened to the original album in full before hearing this.

The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Full Moon Fever
I wanted to like this more but it's solid. It's in the same solid, middle enjoyment category as Frankie Rose, Cults, and Rado for me.

Chewing - Pacific Ocean Blue
This is in the same "not for me" category as Gems and Hats for me. At this point, I was a little worried that I might be drifting away from the target customer for the series, since I had really not enjoyed 3 of the last 5 albums. I had *not* listened to the original album in full before hearing this.

No Vacation - Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?
I like this one. I was glad to see the band and original album when they were announced because No Vacation are great and I love the original album. It put to rest the concern about whether there'd be more indie rock/pop in the series.

Hey guys! Sorry for being slow to get in here. If I'm being entirely honest, I did kinda forget about this forum for a minute but new releases have a way of snapping be back to my senses.

I've kinda skimmed over the thread to date and wanted to address the praise, criticisms, and questions I've seen.

I'll first say: Thanks for all the kind words friends! It honestly and truly energizes us. It's even rad to see folks rate their favorite releases. I'd be lying if I pretended I love them all equally but I also can't publicly play favorites cause it wouldn't be very cool to the artists who have been kind enough to work with us - but I still love seeing other people's lists. I'll give you a little insight into the general direction I'd like the series to take moving forward. First, while I leave the final decision of which album to cover up to each participating artist, recently I have been encouraging artists to select well known records but to also be creative with their selections. I also let each artist know that I prefer albums in which the artist reimagines the album they are covering in their own image and that I think note-for-note covers are boring.

As for Jenn Champion's cover of Weezer, it's my feeling that if you liked the Yumi Zouma release you'll really like this latest one. They're different creatures for sure but I feel like there are a number of similarities. I kinda love this album from front to back but a few standouts include her take on Undone (The Sweater Song), which she's been playing live recently and she says gets the crowd going bananas; Buddy Holly (her version is a kinda plaintive piano ballad); Surf Wax America; and In The Garage. That said, I think the album is solid enough that everyone will have different favorites. For example, I've always loved "In The Garage" because it has Kitty Pride and Nightcrawler references in it and I'm a complete and total nerd and that's part of the reason I love this version as well. Also, as an FYI, it's my understanding that Jenn will be playing stuff from this at her shows on her tour.

In terms of the criticism some folks have brought up of SOUNDS DELICIOUS as a whole, I'd agree that they are all legitimate. I know that our two biggest failings to date have been 1) not keeping to a reliable release schedule and 2) not getting the vinyl case into production. I consider both to be officially "not okay."

In terms of the release schedule, all I can say is that we're trying and working really hard to address it. It's trickier than it probably seems from the outside. I could write a lengthy essay on the issues that confront us on this but at risk of over-simplifying it I'll just say that we're a small business and we can only pay so many advances at a time and recording delays have been depressingly common and far far longer than I ever anticipated. We've had more than one delayed by roughly two years already. Because we can only pay so many advances at a time - those delays really affect us on multiple levels because we have to pay their advance up front. Obviously we try to address this in our agreements but, let's be honest, we're not going to sue a band we love unless things get insanely out of hand and we also don't really want to apply too much pressure to them about schedules because we don't think that would lend itself to getting the best possible albums.

Meanwhile, the record delays have caused the delay on the vinyl case. Someone else summarized it pretty well here. We were working on it back around SD008. Then the designer/illustrator we were working with basically said she was too busy with a few big projects she picked up and we had to put it on the back burner while we looked for a new illustrator. Our second illustrator had it on her schedule but we later told her to put it on the back burner so that we could divert the funds to paying another couple of advances in order to try to address the delays.

For what it's worth, it's always near top of mind and I'm as eager as anyone to not just get that done but also to have one myself. When I envisioned the series I always envisioned a case every 12 releases to contain that part of the series. So, not only do I want to get this one done, but I eventually would like to get a second one produced to collect releases 13-24; then one for 25-36; etc.

It's not something we've talked about much but we did shut down the recurring subscription option several months back so that no one new can sign up for a recurring subscription. We've also been emailing existing recurring subscribers once they get far enough ahead and suggest that we cancel the subscription and convert the balance into a prepaid subscription without further recurring charges until we catch up. If you're a recurring subscriber and are worried about how far ahead you've gotten - just shoot me an email. We'll get you straightened out.

Also, when I've mentioned in updates that people can apply a balance towards past releases or other subs - that isn't meant to suggest they can't request a refund instead. That's definitely always an option. I guess I just presume people know that option is always out there. But anytime we let people know they can apply their balance towards past releases or other subs (particularly the coffee & vinyl series which is more expensive) we have people happily take us up on it. We're trying to be responsible about how we run the club and always do right by our members. I can only ask you to take my word for it but my integrity is everything to me.

Finally, I saw that there was some confusion about the color options, so I wanted to clarify. We have three variants:

1) Black vinyl - for anyone who buys just one record and is done
2) Single color vinyl - If you sign up for a recurring sub (when they were available) or a 6-month or 12-month pre-paid subscription
3) Deluxe multi-color vinyl - Anyone who has received the last 12 consecutive releases whether via Kickstarter, a renewed gift subscription, or a recurring subscription. Once you hit your 13th release, you're eligible so long as you continue to stay in.

Anyways, thanks again guys! I'll try to make sure I don't wait so long to stop in next time.

Hey guys! Sorry for being slow to get in here. If I'm being entirely honest, I did kinda forget about this forum for a minute but new releases have a way of snapping be back to my senses.

I've kinda skimmed over the thread to date and wanted to address the praise, criticisms, and questions I've seen.

I'll first say: Thanks for all the kind words friends! It honestly and truly energizes us. It's even rad to see folks rate their favorite releases. I'd be lying if I pretended I love them all equally but I also can't publicly play favorites cause it wouldn't be very cool to the artists who have been kind enough to work with us - but I still love seeing other people's lists. I'll give you a little insight into the general direction I'd like the series to take moving forward. First, while I leave the final decision of which album to cover up to each participating artist, recently I have been encouraging artists to select well known records but to also be creative with their selections. I also let each artist know that I prefer albums in which the artist reimagines the album they are covering in their own image and that I think note-for-note covers are boring.

As for Jenn Champion's cover of Weezer, it's my feeling that if you liked the Yumi Zouma release you'll really like this latest one. They're different creatures for sure but I feel like there are a number of similarities. I kinda love this album from front to back but a few standouts include her take on Undone (The Sweater Song), which she's been playing live recently and she says gets the crowd going bananas; Buddy Holly (her version is a kinda plaintive piano ballad); Surf Wax America; and In The Garage. That said, I think the album is solid enough that everyone will have different favorites. For example, I've always loved "In The Garage" because it has Kitty Pride and Nightcrawler references in it and I'm a complete and total nerd and that's part of the reason I love this version as well. Also, as an FYI, it's my understanding that Jenn will be playing stuff from this at her shows on her tour.

In terms of the criticism some folks have brought up of SOUNDS DELICIOUS as a whole, I'd agree that they are all legitimate. I know that our two biggest failings to date have been 1) not keeping to a reliable release schedule and 2) not getting the vinyl case into production. I consider both to be officially "not okay."

In terms of the release schedule, all I can say is that we're trying and working really hard to address it. It's trickier than it probably seems from the outside. I could write a lengthy essay on the issues that confront us on this but at risk of over-simplifying it I'll just say that we're a small business and we can only pay so many advances at a time and recording delays have been depressingly common and far far longer than I ever anticipated. We've had more than one delayed by roughly two years already. Because we can only pay so many advances at a time - those delays really affect us on multiple levels because we have to pay their advance up front. Obviously we try to address this in our agreements but, let's be honest, we're not going to sue a band we love unless things get insanely out of hand and we also don't really want to apply too much pressure to them about schedules because we don't think that would lend itself to getting the best possible albums.

Meanwhile, the record delays have caused the delay on the vinyl case. Someone else summarized it pretty well here. We were working on it back around SD008. Then the designer/illustrator we were working with basically said she was too busy with a few big projects she picked up and we had to put it on the back burner while we looked for a new illustrator. Our second illustrator had it on her schedule but we later told her to put it on the back burner so that we could divert the funds to paying another couple of advances in order to try to address the delays.

For what it's worth, it's always near top of mind and I'm as eager as anyone to not just get that done but also to have one myself. When I envisioned the series I always envisioned a case every 12 releases to contain that part of the series. So, not only do I want to get this one done, but I eventually would like to get a second one produced to collect releases 13-24; then one for 25-36; etc.

It's not something we've talked about much but we did shut down the recurring subscription option several months back so that no one new can sign up for a recurring subscription. We've also been emailing existing recurring subscribers once they get far enough ahead and suggest that we cancel the subscription and convert the balance into a prepaid subscription without further recurring charges until we catch up. If you're a recurring subscriber and are worried about how far ahead you've gotten - just shoot me an email. We'll get you straightened out.

Also, when I've mentioned in updates that people can apply a balance towards past releases or other subs - that isn't meant to suggest they can't request a refund instead. That's definitely always an option. I guess I just presume people know that option is always out there. But anytime we let people know they can apply their balance towards past releases or other subs (particularly the coffee & vinyl series which is more expensive) we have people happily take us up on it. We're trying to be responsible about how we run the club and always do right by our members. I can only ask you to take my word for it but my integrity is everything to me.

Finally, I saw that there was some confusion about the color options, so I wanted to clarify. We have three variants:

2) Single color vinyl - If you sign up for a recurring sub (when they were available) or a 6-month or 12-month pre-paid subscription
3) Deluxe multi-color vinyl - Anyone who has received the last 12 consecutive releases whether via Kickstarter, a renewed gift subscription, or a recurring subscription. Once you hit your 13th release, you're eligible so long as you continue to stay in.

Anyways, thanks again guys! I'll try to make sure I don't wait so long to stop in next time.

I should post-preface my rankings by saying you've done an incredible job, as have all the bands. What other club or label with this kind of specific premise could deliver 12-14 releases where I like or love 10 of them? Even the ones I don't dig, I can see how well made they are. Thanks for taking this wild idea and making it a real thing for this long, even with any/all delays. That's an accomplishment!

Thanks for hopping on here and sharing the Details. Is a release date for SD15 already forseeable. Since as an intl subscriner i Always receive mine in triplets. SD15 would be when i get 13,14, & 15.

This is my hands down favorite release so far.

The "what's a matter, what's a matter, what's a matter you?" bridge part of Buddy Holly is a defining moment of the Sounds Delicious franchise and what it's capable of.

got my Weezer Blue Album today. haven't spun it yet but something about the art direction of the packaging seems really different with this one.
This is my hands down favorite release so far.

The "what's a matter, what's a matter, what's a matter you?" bridge part of Buddy Holly is a defining moment of the Sounds Delicious franchise and what it's capable of.

aaaahhhhhhh y'all got me pumped to get mine

FWIW, this isn't so much a new direction as a one time thing. It was really important to Jenn that she be able to do her own art for this and we agreed. She recorded the music and I can appreciate that it was important to her to have the art reflect her vision.

Although, I should mention that although I called it a "one time thing" we also let No Vacation do their art for their release as well. We still have our illustrator on hand for future releases though and I'm expecting to use her going forward.

I don't think I'm a fan of that new direction with the design.

FWIW, this isn't so much a new direction as a one time thing. It was really important to Jenn that she be able to do her own art for this and we agreed. She recorded the music and I can appreciate that it was important to her to have the art reflect her vision.

Although, I should mention that although I called it a "one time thing" we also let No Vacation do their art for their release as well. We still have our illustrator on hand for future releases though and I'm expecting to use her going forward.
for me I would say that it's actually worth a lot. I may not love the direction but I appreciate it a lot more knowing that she controlled the whole thing the way she wanted and that you guys gave her that control!

Hey Jan,

Just a heads up: I went ahead an shipped 13 and 14 since we've been delayed and I hate to keep you waiting.

Thanks for hopping on here and sharing the Details. Is a release date for SD15 already forseeable. Since as an intl subscriner i Always receive mine in triplets. SD15 would be when i get 13,14, & 15.

This makes me like the art a little more...or at least respect the choice. I'm always supportive of letting an artist do their thang, so that's cool. Thanks for the extra insight!

Edit: @Tillman said it better.

Yup, that's exactly the conclusion we came to. Particularly when it's important to them we want to give the artist as much control over everything as possible.

for me I would say that it's actually worth a lot. I may not love the direction but I appreciate it a lot more knowing that she controlled the whole thing the way she wanted and that you guys gave her that control!

Hey Jan,

Just a heads up: I went ahead an shipped 13 and 14 since we've been delayed and I hate to keep you waiting.
Thanks. Got the shipping notice last week and am really looking forward to those two albums.

Thanks for sending them @MatthewTK, but a little dissapointed that i got the solid coloured ones for those two, although i have been subscribed from the beginning and always had the multicoloured versions.

Edit: and matthew already made good for it and he'll send the multicoloured versions with sd16 and i'll listen to the other versions till then

Last edited:
On other notes, spun the jenn champion today and its immediately one of the favourites frim the series. Interestingly, while in the original i find side one stronger in jenns version i like side two more, cause the arrangements are so great., especially in the garage, say it aint so and surf wax america. That said, while i heard the original buddy holly a little too often, the recasting as a piano ballad really opens the song up for me again.

Loving this Jenn Champion cover, but boy is it making me realize how cringey some of the lyrics are on that album...like shut up Rivers, you can’t tell a girl when she gets to wear makeup, gtfoh

Back