Slip Mats

Captainfog

Admaxistrator
Admin
What do you use? I've got a cork one. Anyone tried leather? Any merit to them?

What do you use? I've got a cork one. Anyone tried leather? Any merit to them?
how's that work? I can't find anyone I "know" to give feedback.

Im currently use a heavy rubberish mat from a pioneer turntable from the 70s/80s era (I'm inclined to believe its 80s, but my dad couldn't say for sure)

it seems to work out well, but didn't know if we had made large advancements in the mat game. or is it all mostly subjective?

I had an entry level felt one on my RP3, but upgraded to a Clearaudio Concept and as it was not recommended with the default platter, I don't use one now. But I might just put a branded / printed one as a dust protector since there's no cover for the TT.
That was a definitely a very exciting reply that advances the topic, isn't it?

I have a Mooo Mat on my U-Turn. I didn't hear any difference in sound from the original felt mat or the Black Velvet commemorative mat, but it looks kinda cool.

On my old turntable, I had a cork mat and it would always lift off with the record due to static. That was with me habitually using the anti static brush and other typical good record care practices. It was just too light and flimsy. I can't say it made any sonic difference either. I bought a used Technics SL-1200 and it came with an Funk Achromat designed for the 1200. It's double sided taped so it never moves and the bass is killer on that turntable. Obvs, credit also to the tt, but still.

I had a standard Rega felt mat on my old P2, which I then changed for the Tonar rubber'n'cork mat which I personally thought was much better - and it looked great.

Now I've got the standard felt mat that came with my Linn Sondek LP12 and I'm loathed to change it.

I'd recommend the Tonar for sure.

On my old turntable, I had a cork mat and it would always lift off with the record due to static. That was with me habitually using the anti static brush and other typical good record care practices. It was just too light and flimsy. I can't say it made any sonic difference either. I bought a used Technics SL-1200 and it came with an Funk Achromat designed for the 1200. It's double sided taped so it never moves and the bass is killer on that turntable. Obvs, credit also to the tt, but still.

Yep same here. I was using a 2 piece cork Mat on my Technics 1200-G and while it was ok in terms of sound, the center piece would always come off due to static, so I switched back to the Technics Rubber Mat which is pretty good too.

I have always used a felt slip mat. The one I'm currently using is the Secretly Society one they included in out December Box last year =)

Funny, I think of a slip mat as being something like a Butter Rug that encourages slipping to enable turntablism. Once I graduated from simultaneous needle and groove destruction I've stuck with the heavy rubber deals that arrive on stock technics tables.

*bump*

I have a question - when I was in NYC last year I went to Turntable lab and asked about getting a acrylic mat for my Rega RP2.

The guy working the store (who was a little douchey to be honest) dismissively told me I could just play my records directly on the glass platter. Which seemed weird. So i remain paralysed with indecision about what to do and I have the original felt mat on there.

What say you wise souls??

It's possible to go direct to glass (although I don't like the results) and also possible to use an acrylic mat. You have to ensure that any mat you use, isn't significantly thicker than the felt one though, unless you in turn want to start adjusting the arm height. The best option for the Planar 2, 3 and 6 is the Achromat which is pricey but genuinely effective.

Back