Silly noob questions

Tys1

I’ve got a TEAC TN-300 with an Ortofon red cartridge. Technically out of specs but sounds good. However the TT doesn’t have an auto-stop (is that what you call it) feature and there have been a few occasions where I head off to bed and wake up to see the record is still spinning. Is the groove at the end of a record cut deeper in any way so that there is no contact with the needle or am I burning out the life expectancy of my needle whenever I do this?

I’ve got a TEAC TN-300 with an Ortofon red cartridge. Technically out of specs but sounds good. However the TT doesn’t have an auto-stop (is that what you call it) feature and there have been a few occasions where I head off to bed and wake up to see the record is still spinning. Is the groove at the end of a record cut deeper in any way so that there is no contact with the needle or am I burning out the life expectancy of my needle whenever I do this?

It’s not great for your needle, it’s using up its life. You could look into a q up or similar to lift the tonearm if you’re likely to keep forgetting.

I have elac debut 2.0 f5.2 speakers, I am using Monoprice brand closed screw type banana plugs. The plugs don’t fit very “snugly” into the connectors on the speakers. The same batch of plugs also don’t fit snugly into the connectors on my NAD integrated amp. The same connectors ordered previously do not have the same problem when connecting to my Sony AVR.

Is this common? Should I try ordering another brand of banana plug?

I've been known to use a small screwdriver to spread the contacts on banana plugs. It usually works, but I got too enthusiastic and broke the plug once. If you want to try, go slow and remember it doesn't take much to make them snug.

I've been known to use a small screwdriver to spread the contacts on banana plugs. It usually works, but I got too enthusiastic and broke the plug once. If you want to try, go slow and remember it doesn't take much to make them snug.
I hadn’t even realized that was possible but now that I’ve looked I can see it obviously is. Thank you.

Back