Sargasso Seas and Caribbean Vibes (Reggae & Dub Music)

OK, I figured out how to merge them. I also added "Reggae" and "Dub" to the titles so it is more apparent what's within and also so that you can search for a "Reggae" thread. Dub is too short of a word unfortunately.

Back on topic:
Jennifer Lara rules. I'm a big Lover's Rock fan.

Me too and cheers for the Hollie Cook rec awhile back.

Can anyone speak to pressing quality of Greensleeves reissues? I don't have many i can think of off the top of my head, but what i do have i remember not being great.

I'd like to find those recent scientist reissues so if anyone can speak to their quality please do.

Can anyone speak to pressing quality of Greensleeves reissues? I don't have many i can think of off the top of my head, but what i do have i remember not being great.

I'd like to find those recent scientist reissues so if anyone can speak to their quality please do.
I would say they are good/average. It's hard to tell though if it's the source used-some of the original recording conditions were less than optimal to begin with-- or something else as the label used those materials down the line. The ones cited in this article all sound good to my ears:
Probably my favorite Scientist reissues are on Superior Viaduct, 'Introducing' and 'In the Kingdom of Dub'. 'Scientist and Jammy Strike Back!' on Music on Vinyl or Real Gone is also good.

The gray label Russian issues Scientist released himself actually sound quite good if you can’t find or don’t want to shell out money for originals. I have a couple 90’s or 2000’s reissues on Greensleeves that sound good too. I never picked up any of the recent “Linval Presents” ones. Scientist and Greensleeves have been in a legal battle over licensing for a long while now.

I picked up a Lee Perry comp and Mr. Yellowman among others at my local today because of this thread so if this becomes a problem for me I’m blaming this thread.

please keep posting.
You might find this helpful as well:
I recommend this one:

45 years ago today, Bunny Wailer released his debut solo album, "Blackheart Man".
Hailed as Bunny's finest work, this album features contributions from both Peter Tosh and Bob Marley, as well as the Barrett Brothers.
This is an album that badly needs to be reissued with a deluxe edition, perhaps a 2nd disc with the Jamaican mix and in depth liner notes.
20210908_212839.jpg

45 years ago today, Bunny Wailer released his debut solo album, "Blackheart Man".
Hailed as Bunny's finest work, this album features contributions from both Peter Tosh and Bob Marley, as well as the Barrett Brothers.
This is an album that badly needs to be reissued with a deluxe edition, perhaps a 2nd disc with the Jamaican mix and in depth liner notes.
View attachment 111528
Definitely recommend getting a Jamaican pressing! It sounds fantastic even with it being pressed on pretty crappy vinyl and never being over VG.

View attachment 111528

Just finally checked this out last night and will likely stream it again today. It's fantastic!

Hey there, few threads are right up my alley - but this one is. Here's a list of some amazing reggae albums pulled from my Discogs. I have quite a collection of reggae and only buy my favorite ones. Some of these are Jamacian, some are roots, some are from the UK, some are pop/rock reggae, some lean more towards rocksteady ska.. some are all of the above!

I tried to limit it to 1 artist per so you can get a wider cast net. Also, some are "Best Of" comps since many artists have an insane number of albums but only 1 "single" on each. I left off the Bob Marleys, SUBLIMEs, etc because I assume you've heard of em before. Enjoy :)

(Alphabetized - bold means some of my personal favs)

The Aggrolites - S/T
Alpha Blondy - Cocody Rock!!!
Barrington Levy - Too Experienced ... The Best Of Barrington Levy
Black Uhuru - Red
Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man
Burning Spear - Harder Than The Best
Collie Buddz - Collie Buddz
Damian Marley - Welcome To Jamrock
Desmond Dekker & The Aces - Action!
DJ Vadim - Dubcatcher
Don Carlos - Wipe The Wicked Clean
Eek-A-Mouse - The Very Best Of Eek-A-Mouse
Freddie McGregor - The Anthology
The Green - S/T
Gregory Isaacs - Night Nurse
Half Pint - Classics
The Heptones - Party Time
Horace Andy - Ain't No Sunshine
Inner Circle - Bad To The Bone
Iration - Iration
J Boog - Hear Me Roar
Junior Murvin - Police & Thieves
Ka'au Crater Boys - Best Of
Lee Scratch Perry + Subatomic Sound System - Super Ape Returns To Conquer
Long Beach Dub Allstars - Right Back
Macka B - Sign Of The Times
Madlib - 420 Chalice All-Stars
Max Romeo & The Upsetters - War Ina Babylon
The Maytals - The Sensational Maytals
Peter Tosh - Legalize It
Rebelution - Bright Side Of Life
Sashamon - One Day Maybe
SKITN - SKITN (hey, my band!)
Slightly Stoopid - Closer To The Sun
Steel Pulse - Earth Crisis

Three Plus - Honey Baby
Thievery Corporation - The Temple Of I & I
Third World - 96° In The Shade
Tim Armstrong - A Poet's Life
Toots And The Maytals - Sweet And Dandy
U-Roy - Crucial Cuts
UB40 – Labour Of Love
Yellowman - Zungguzungguguzungguzeng

If you legit make it through these and want more recs, I will most likely pull other albums from these artists first. Happy listening!

Gotta remember to come back to this list once I'm done checking out the handful of 1976 albums from the Linton Kwesi Johnson article I read last night!

Currently checking out Revolutionary Dream by Pablo Moses.

Back