Sargasso Seas and Caribbean Vibes (Reggae & Dub Music)

I don't think I've seen a Reggae thread around here or the other place so I thought the literally dozens of us that enjoy these musical forms could congregate here.

I'm far from an expert and mostly just know the more well known roots and dub artists of the 60's, 70's, and 80's, but I have great love for anything with soul and a message.

I lived in Puerto Rico briefly and am always down to talk about the Caribbean

I'm not the biggest fan of reggae in general although I do love some of it's funkier moments. Stuff like what Madlib showcased on the blunted in the bombshelter type stuff really does it for me.

I also happen to live in a city where a good portion of Studio One musicians immigrated to and who started recording locally when they got here. Jackie Mittoo, Wayne McGhie and many more cut some really great funk/soul/r&b records and reggae influenced by those genres as well. LITA did a great compilation covering some of the best (and ridiculously rare) sides recorded here on their Jamaica To Toronto compilation.

On a similar note.. if anyone here does collect rare reggae, I have a minty copy of that Jackie Mittoo All-Stars 7" that I'm looking to get rid of as well as a bunch of other reggae 12's and a few LPs but nothing very rare besides the Mittoo.

I'm not the biggest fan of reggae in general although I do love some of it's funkier moments. Stuff like what Madlib showcased on the blunted in the bombshelter type stuff really does it for me.

I also happen to live in a city where a good portion of Studio One musicians immigrated to and who started recording locally when they got here. Jackie Mittoo, Wayne McGhie and many more cut some really great funk/soul/r&b records and reggae influenced by those genres as well. LITA did a great compilation covering some of the best (and ridiculously rare) sides recorded here on their Jamaica To Toronto compilation.

On a similar note.. if anyone here does collect rare reggae, I have a minty copy of that Jackie Mittoo All-Stars 7" that I'm looking to get rid of as well as a bunch of other reggae 12's and a few LPs but nothing very rare besides the Mittoo.

Have you ever been to Caribana? I'm assuming yes. I'd like to see the festivities someday but I'm too old for the all dat - all night partying

Have you ever been to Caribana? I'm assuming yes. I'd like to see the festivities someday but I'm too old for the all dat - all night partying

Oh yeah.. I used to go a lot when I was a teenager and a young twenty something but it just got ridiculous at one point and i decided i was done with it. Never seen so many tricked out cars and like people driving down the middle of the city, stopping their car just to get out to talk to girls and then getting back in.. like, it's wild.. but it's so un-Canadian which i guess is what makes it great.

If you like these things go check out Soul Jazz records. They have a lot of really ace studio 1 releases. I like reggae and dub but do prefer rocksteady and calypso.

I personally love this genre. It's what I grew up with. Coming form the Caribbean growing up in Brooklyn NY being around sound systems and just everyday life it is perhaps my goto when I get nostalgic.

I saw a Yellowman show in Pittsburgh of all places I think it was '99. It was one of the best shows I've ever been to. Love that guy.

I've been listening to this Equiknoxx Music album today. Bird Sound Power from a few years back. It's sort-of electro-dancehall. I'm pretty into it.

I've been listening to this Equiknoxx Music album today. Bird Sound Power from a few years back. It's sort-of electro-dancehall. I'm pretty into it.
This is the first time I am hearing them and I very much like it. You are right it definitely has a strong reggae influence.

I saw a Yellowman show in Pittsburgh of all places I think it was '99. It was one of the best shows I've ever been to. Love that guy.

Oh yeah. The man didn't let up for the whole set. It was a lot of fun. All of the old heads were up out of their seat winding.

Back