RP2 cartridge upgrade advice

AngryVal

Apologise I know this is probably well-worn ground but I couldn't find anything to help me, so....

I have had my RP2 for 2 1/2 years and starting to consider a cartridge upgrade - but I'm a novice in cartridges so would love some advice! (my setup is in sig 👇🏽)
  1. Am I due? I play for maybe 6-10 hours a week so that sounds like 1000 hours by now right?
  2. My budget is flexible (within reason) - Rega v Ortofon (Blue? Red?) v Nagaoka
  3. I listen to a wide range of music - in the last week have done Dylan & Beatles to Daft Punk, Smashing Pumpkins to Bon Iver, Jon Mitchell to Kendrick. Is this a significant consideration?
  4. Aussie prices suck - Ortofon Red $170, Ortofon Blue $332, Rega exact MM $599 - to assist with my budget!
Thanking you kindly all in advance!

Ouch, those prices!

Yes, it sounds like you are due. Some will say if it still sounds good, run it till it doesn’t. Don’t do that. If you can hear distortion, you are damaging your records.

I’d definitely buy the Rega Exact. Rega cartridges are super high output. Your Rega amp needs this because the phono stage is designed for Rega cartridges. Use something like the Nagaoka and you’ll have to turn the volume knob up a lot farther that what you do now. If you listen loudly, you may not get sufficient output.

Check the link though: you can get the Exact for $350 US if you order from Japan. This is a reputable seller, you’ll have no issues.

$US380 + $US20 shipping + $US40 sales tax = $630 of our Aussie dollars. 😩😩😩

Ouch. Sales tax doesn’t apply here for overseas purchases. Of course, one can get with customs charges, but it’s never happened to me.

Check and see if your local dealer will allow you to use your current cartridge as a trade in.

Yeah our government are greedy bastards and started demanding all online sellers ad 10% GST (goods & services tax) to all purchases under $1000 (previously exempt). You can find a bunch of online sellers that don't bother (and aren't big enough to be chased by tax authorities) so it's a bit hit and miss...

Seconded on 2juki. I think @AngryVal ‘s issue is really his exchange rate and Australia’s tax policy
LOL - yeah no matter which way i try to slice & dice it i get nailed!
I miss the days when the Aussie dollar actually bought $US1.10. Of course you were in the middle of the GFC which was terrible 😬

Back