Record Store Day 2021

Both Prines is a must. Then maybe a couple of soundtracks, Maria McGee and Lemonheads. Pretty underwhelming otherwise.
the albums yes but the oh boy one is just a compilation. no idea how common the actual oh boy albums are on vinyl though....

Pretty sure I'm in for Tears for Fears "Live at Massey Hall" and the Cure "Wild Mood Swings" from the first list.
I am so tired of the cure picture discs. Does Robert Smith really not have anyone around him to say "people do not want this dreck, put out the albums on listenable vinyl and finish the wish remaster already" ?

I am so tired of the cure picture discs. Does Robert Smith really not have anyone around him to say "people do not want this dreck, put out the albums on listenable vinyl and finish the wish remaster already" ?
I agree on both points but willing to give this one a go and can always sell if they release in black vinyl later.

Welp... This is going to be interesting. It's still just a scratch list, so I have hope. The Garcia is actually a must for me... Does anyone know how long after RSD the general release typically is?

Charles Lloyd - Manhattan Stories (July 17). Pete LaRoca on this set is unreal!
In Harmony - Roy Hargrove/Miller* (June 12)
Christian McBride - out here (July 17)
Chicago Blues 3LP
Miles Davis Champions
CSNY Deja Alternatives
Police Live in Boston
Rahsaan Roland Kirk -- Ronnie Scots* (July 17)
Belle and Sebastian
Donny Hathaway - Live (remastering?) June 12
Funky Kingston - Toots
M'Shell NdegeOcello - Peace Beyond Passion* (June 12)
Barney Wilen - la note blue
Ani DiFranco - s/t

Maybe:
Bill Evans: Dikes (July 17)
Canned Heat - Blues Band
Canned Heat- living the blues
Jerry Garcia: Jerry Garcia Band (July 17)
Nubya Garcia - Source = Dance (June 12)
Dr John - roots, herbs (July 17)
Aretha - Philly (July 17)
Al Green - Give me more love (June 12)
Ann Peebles

E means record store day exclusive
L means limited run/regional focus
F means record store day first which means it will be released at a later time differently
I mean there is a possibility that a RSD exclusive gets a later release I’m not sure I’ve seen this happen though off the top of my head

Right, I mean, for the "E" - what exactly is exclusive about it?

Soul Slabs, Vol. 3, is labeled with the "E", but will probably be repressed later on black vinyl. I'm not aware of any differences in the previous soul slabs comps' RSD editions and black represses other than the color of the vinyl.

I'm just noticing nearly everything I've even remotely considered being interested in is labeled with an "E," even certain albums that are just reissues, so it seems like they're being pretty specific in their idea of what makes it an exclusive. It would make sense that "E" just means "yeah, this version of it is only being sold for RSD, but it could definitely be repressed and reissued later in a different package", but it seems like you're saying that that's what "F" means. or does the "F" mean that they're doing a pressing run of more than what's available for record store day and there will definitely be a subsequent wider release of the rest of that run?

Like the Hot Rocks Rolling Stones comp is also labeled with an "E" - it sounds like it's a fancy color and comes with 2 fancy lithographs, but as an album, I'm sure they will keep repressing it later.

Right, I mean, for the "E" - what exactly is exclusive about it?

Soul Slabs, Vol. 3, is labeled with the "E", but will probably be repressed later on black vinyl. I'm not aware of any differences in the previous soul slabs comps' RSD editions and black represses other than the color of the vinyl.

I'm just noticing nearly everything I've even remotely considered being interested in is labeled with an "E," even certain albums that are just reissues, so it seems like they're being pretty specific in their idea of what makes it an exclusive. It would make sense that "E" just means "yeah, this version of it is only being sold for RSD, but it could definitely be repressed and reissued later in a different package", but it seems like you're saying that that's what "F" means. or does the "F" mean that they're doing a pressing run of more than what's available for record store day and there will definitely be a subsequent wider release of the rest of that run?

Like the Hot Rocks Rolling Stones comp is also labeled with an "E" - it sounds like it's a fancy color and comes with 2 fancy lithographs, but as an album, I'm sure they will keep repressing it later.
A good example of an F was a Neil Young live release. The RSD release had an art print the other did not.

I am unsure of a E will ever be repressed. I have two twenty one pilots that have not been repressed. It depends on the label and release I guess.

A good example of an F was a Neil Young live release. The RSD release had an art print the other did not.

I am unsure of a E will ever be repressed. I have two twenty one pilots that have not been repressed. It depends on the label and release I guess.

Yep, if it's F you know for sure there will be a wider pressing, usually within months of RSD. It may be basic black, or have fewer 'special' elements, but at least you can get a copy.

The only E repress that comes to mind, and why people are justifiably suspicious of any RSD releases for that artist now, is the Bill Evans Some Other Time (Lost Session from the Black Forest). The 2016 RSD was going for $200+ on the secondary market... and then surprise, a repress for RSD last year. I have no problem with them pressing more copies for people who want one, but there'd been no indication it was even a possibility.

Yep, if it's F you know for sure there will be a wider pressing, usually within months of RSD.
I wouldn’t say “for sure” there have been a few that were listed as “RSD First” that have yet to one released on wax. For example...

I wouldn’t say “for sure” there have been a few that were listed as “RSD First” that have yet to one released on wax. For example...

That hasn't been re-pressed yet?
What did they count the digital release next as part of the "First" ?
I mean I have my copy, but woooow

That hasn't been re-pressed yet?
What did they count the digital release next as part of the "First" ?
I mean I have my copy, but woooow
Not yet. “RSD Exclusives” and “RSD Firsts” are okay as a guideline but I would not say either designation means too much; lots of “exclusives” will get reissued later and some “Firsts” won’t get reissued in the near future. If it’s something you know you want I always side with picking it up because ya never know for sure.

Not yet. “RSD Exclusives” and “RSD Firsts” are okay as a guideline but I would not say either designation means too much; lots of “exclusives” will get reissued later and some “Firsts” won’t get reissued in the near future. If it’s something you know you want I always side with picking it up because ya never know for sure.
Prices some of my pieces I got go for on the secondary... Yeah....

Yeah the Robyn "Body Talk" release from 2019 is selling for well over $100 now.

But that Boy Meets Girl Stax comp that Storf told us all to snag is available for less than $20 shipped.

It looks like nearly everything I purchased at RSD last year (g-sides, d-sides, magic numbers, charlie parker, willie colon, alfredo linares, etc.) has gone down in price and is still readily available.

No one else is interested in Lee Perry? @scotthilk?
What’s the deal on that? Just a reissue on colored vinyl? It’s on my list and I’ll hopefully snag one. Kind of disappointed in the lack of reggae. Wailing Souls and Lee Perry are the ones I’m interested in most. No records from Studio One that I saw which is a bummer.

Back