Record cleaning - what's your method?

Nice grab, @Matt M

Chisto users: As mentioned above, I am running a Degritter and it's great. I bought some Chisto because it was 2 for 1 and people here were talking it up. Now I have it and I'm not sure how to use it in or with my machine. Typically, I fill the tank with distilled water and add a certain amount of cleaning agent and some isopropyl if I choose. Does anyone think I should make a gallon of fluid with distilled/Chisto and fill my tank with it or does it make more sense to make a gallon of Chisto and spray that on my records before running them through my typical wash? OR (entirely possible), is the Chisto superfluous to my process? Thoughts? Warnings? Faint praise?

EDIT: I occurs to me that it doesn't really matter that it's a Degritter. Does anyone have thoughts as to how to best use Chisto with any ultrasonic tank-style machine?

I've been using the Chisto for awhile now. I'm gonna rate it "almost perfect". I use it on every record with perfect results audio-wise. No more crackle, pops, clicks etc... But on a few of my brand new records, there's a discolored blotch on one or both sides. This may be that release agent that some folks talk about, dunno. So I whip out the TTVJ and do a 5 minute soak and it clears it right up.

It's purely cosmetic and doesn't affect playback, but I'm just anal enough to want to do something about it, so keeping a second cleaning solution around isn't a big deal. I love the look of a flawless pure black record. Chisto with the occasional TTVJ complete my toolkit.

edit: misspelled Chisto

Last edited:
I've been using the Cristo for awhile now. I'm gonna rate it "almost perfect". I use it on every record with perfect results audio-wise. No more crackle, pops, clicks etc... But on a few of my brand new records, there's a discolored blotch on one or both sides. This may be that release agent that some folks talk about, dunno. So I whip out the TTVJ and do a 5 minute soak and it clears it right up.

It's purely cosmetic and doesn't affect playback, but I'm just anal enough to want to do something about it, so keeping a second cleaning solution around isn't a big deal. I love the look of a flawless pure black record. Cristo with the occasional TTVJ complete my toolkit.
I was noticing this too. May have to have another step to do the same.

Maybe this formulation of theirs for brand new records is worth looking into?

They also make these in addition to the standard one

Obviously check your own US dealers for availability

I never understand why they say gallon instead of the much snappier 4.54609 litres (or 3.785411784 litres for you US lot)

I just ordered the Chisto from the US 2 for 1 deal and only got a notification for 1. It does say the deal ends at the end of this month, so might be that they have finished it now? Or is it that I should get 2 shipping notifications?

Might end up getting cancelled after all this as I would be surprised if they shipped to the UK for free.

I just ordered the Chisto from the US 2 for 1 deal and only got a notification for 1. It does say the deal ends at the end of this month, so might be that they have finished it now? Or is it that I should get 2 shipping notifications?

Might end up getting cancelled after all this as I would be surprised if they shipped to the UK for free.
I got two order confirmations (different numbers, but sequential) but only one shipping notification when I ordered.

I got two order confirmations (different numbers, but sequential) but only one shipping notification when I ordered.
Thanks for this. Now I need to decide if its worth flagging up now and potentially have them cancel when they see its to the UK, or assume that they will add the extra bottle.....

Funnily enough I did the same earlier. Whenever I tried to put two in the basket it tried to charge me for two so I'm assumed I just order one and their systems pick that up and send the extra.

I'll let you know if they cancel

I wish I knew about that virgin one before I bought since 95% of records I buy are new and the other 5 are clean used copies.

Funnily enough I did the same earlier. Whenever I tried to put two in the basket it tried to charge me for two so I'm assumed I just order one and their systems pick that up and send the extra.

I'll let you know if they cancel
Just had mine cancelled and the refund. Shame, will have to look elsewhere.

Just had mine cancelled and the refund. Shame, will have to look elsewhere.
Yeah. Same. Looks like it's 33 quid at analogue seduction.

By the way. Would you say you were a Bud Powell fan?

I've been using the Cristo for awhile now. I'm gonna rate it "almost perfect". I use it on every record with perfect results audio-wise. No more crackle, pops, clicks etc... But on a few of my brand new records, there's a discolored blotch on one or both sides. This may be that release agent that some folks talk about, dunno. So I whip out the TTVJ and do a 5 minute soak and it clears it right up.

It's purely cosmetic and doesn't affect playback, but I'm just anal enough to want to do something about it, so keeping a second cleaning solution around isn't a big deal. I love the look of a flawless pure black record. Cristo with the occasional TTVJ complete my toolkit.

Like it removes the color permanently? What do you use to apply it?

I am indeed (who isnt!!)
Funny story. I had a listing on ebay where there was a mistake in the title. Turns out in addition to changing shipping to shitting and houses to horses it also changes Essen to Rasen. I was going to leave it up but some fucker emailed me every day for 4 days telling me that id listed the wrong item. And when I said 'yeah, thanks ok' started emailing me to ask why I hadn't changed it. Bare in mind that at that point no one was watching it and there was only one bid. In the end I got bored and pulled the auction... But you'll never guess what the one bidder was called!

Funny story. I had a listing on ebay where there was a mistake in the title. Turns out in addition to changing shipping to shitting and houses to horses it also changes Essen to Rasen. I was going to leave it up but some fucker emailed me every day for 4 days telling me that id listed the wrong item. And when I said 'yeah, thanks ok' started emailing me to ask why I hadn't changed it. Bare in mind that at that point no one was watching it and there was only one bid. In the end I got bored and pulled the auction... But you'll never guess what the one bidder was called!
Hahaha no way, small world!! I will get back on that when I next pop on eBay!

I've had a similar thing in the past as well, people can be so picky. I had one where I eventually did what you did, sent the person a message to say it was updated, and they didn't even bid :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Hahaha no way, small world!! I will get back on that when I next pop on eBay!

I've had a similar thing in the past as well, people can be so picky. I had one where I eventually did what you did, sent the person a message to say it was updated, and they didn't even bid :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:
It's cool. Cover the postage and it's yours. Pm me your address and I'll take the listing down

Like it removes the color permanently? What do you use to apply it?
Once cleaned, the discoloration doesn't return. To be more specific, it's not really so much a color as it is a sheen, which leads me to believe that it is something associated with the stamping process. It's rare but noticeable and it doesn't appear to be anything associated with mishandling like finger prints or palm smudges.

To apply I just run a few spins on my RCM and apply a liberal amount of the TTVJ using my regular cleaning brush. When the album is coated thoroughly, I turn the machine off and let it sit for 5 mins, then vacuum, rinse, vacuum and done.

Back