PopTarts Unite!

Technically you can vote for less than five songs, but I think the idea was to vote five to end to the finals.
right on, I meant I had accidentally sent in before making the 5 selections. but I'm fine with leaving it to the fates!

Ahhh Haim! You should’ve picked the song “The Wire”! That’s such an amazing, anthemic, pop song! I was actually thinking of putting that song in my top 3, but it just didn’t make it.

I chose Lana Del Rey - Vídeo Games, Beyoncé - Formation and Lorde - Royals

Billie Eilish’s Bad Guy, Lizzo’s Juice and Robyn’s Dancing On My Own were runners up that didn’t make it!

Solange’s Cranes In The Sky and Haim’s The Wire were in my thoughts!

I will respectfully disagree. I think that Falling is the perfect encapsulation of their early sound that felt like an utterly modern interpretation of 80s Fleetwood Mac

Early reviews of Cats seem to suggest the only good thing about is T-Swizzle's performance. Which begs the question... why have your star vehicle be Cats?!?!?! 😭😭😭

I was in Cats in school when I was 10. They took us to see it on the west end. That film looks mega creepy...

oh wait! None of them were there! I’m not king oddball on here 😍😍😍

If you gave a song your #1 or #2 spot, that means it got 3 or 2 points. Those all automatically go through. We are voting on the songs that only got 1 point. If that makes sense. Lol

If you gave a song your #1 or #2 spot, that means it got 3 or 2 points. Those all automatically go through. We are voting on the songs that only got 1 point. If that makes sense. Lol

Oh sorry! Right I was thinking just in terms of bare nominations and all votes being equal! Silly Joe! That makes more sense because Blank Space was my 1 point song and was also the one I would imagine more other people would have voted for! It’s all clearer now!

I was in Cats in school when I was 10. They took us to see it on the west end. That film looks mega creepy...

Now I'm thinking about 10 yr old Joe standing on a stage and singing and licking the backs of his hands like he's a kitty cat. Is there a recording of this performance? It sounds way better than the movie.

Now I'm thinking about 10 yr old Joe standing on a stage and singing and licking the backs of his hands like he's a kitty cat. Is there a recording of this performance? It sounds way better than the movie.

There is somewhere, my old primary school headmaster was a bit of a poser and fancied himself as a cross between David Lean and some big theatre director. He did a version on camera with no audience, I don’t have it though, my dad wouldn’t spring £5 for it back in 1993. There may be some pictures knocking about somewhere in the house.

Tiebreaker is done. Thank you to everyone that voted. I have work to do. Gotta get that bracket ready for final voting to begin! I hope I can have it ready maybe by the end of today? If not, Monday. Don't worry, I'll announce and link in multiple places. :)

Last edited:
Reasons, so many reasons. Please read through these before voting. :)

SongArtist
54​
Ain't It FunParamoreBECAUSE I SAID SO!!!!!!! And because no matter when I listen to this in the future, it will place me right back into this decade.
46​
All of the LightsKanye WestBest Kanye song and great Rihanna feat.
47​
All the StarsKendrick Lamar & SZAA huge pop song from a hugely popular film that signals where pop culture and pop music is headed.
35​
Bad GuyBillie EilishThe perfect pop song for the end of the 2010s, it's weird, wonderful, and dark. Represents the closing of the decade and the mood of how the decade is ending compared to its start, and the shift we're seeing in more experimental types of pop music reaching the mainstream (will go more in depth later lol)
11​
Blank SpaceTaylor SwiftThe pop queen of the 2010’s! I think this is her best song! T. Swift was an "artist of the decade" - she was everywhere, and not always for her music. Blank Space is her best tune and an insightful self-parody of her public image. It's catchy, funny, artsy. When I think of this decade, I'll think of this song. I was a late comer to Taylor Swift with 1989 being my entry drug. Blank Space has everything you'd want in a great pop song!
14​
Born This WayLady GagaHuge. Another song about being seen for who you are. It's not perfect but an anthem for many. The driving beat is perfect for just dancing it out. Dancing out the bullshit and hate.
49​
Born To DieLana Del ReyPaved the way for the more moodier, down-to-earth pop artists of the later-2010s, including Lorde, Halsey & Billie Eilish.
20​
BoysCharli XCXCharli has been turning pop cliches on their head all decade, and this is that in its bounciest form.
Broken HorsesFreelance WhalesWhile this album came out in 2010 I believe this album is one of the best albums of the decade, Broken Horse is about a 'horse' that got scared and ran away, and I feel it reminds me of this generation, 2008-2016 was supposed to be about hope instead we saw this country face the biggest wave of fear I've ever seen, fast forward to today we live in constant chaos and instability, it was if that horse that ran away was our morals/ethics where did it go? I don't know? 'You saw something I did not in the night, you saw something I did not in the night' I think we all thought we saw something yet we were blindsided when what we thought was impossible came true.
39​
CaliforniaGrimesBecause this music makes me cry, it sounds just like my soul
7​
Call Me MaybeCRJI feel like this one needs no explanation. This was such a smash and alot of peoples introduction to this pop queen (and unfortunately the song many people still think of her as a one hit wonder because of). This song introduced me to the treasure that is Carly Rae Jepsen. I mean, have you heard it?
10​
Call Your GirlfriendRobynThis is pop perfection. So danceable and you can’t help but sing along with her. It’s literally the best song of all time
Charlie BrownColdplayPowerhouse intro that solidified Coldplay as an arena mainstay and a hipster target (undeservedly so) for years to come. Also, see reason #2 reasons.
34​
CleanTaylor SwiftWhen looking at Taylor's Body of work this one is a shining example of how her songwriting prowess.
Clearest BlueChvrchesThis song is by all means epic. It is a slow build to an epic payoff at the end. Lauren's voice is one of the best in the industry.
Cool For The SummerDemi LovatoI'm not voting Taylor Swift because I know she'll receive lots of nominations. But I think this song, with all the sex appeal and the energy it has, has to be on the list.
4​
Cut To The FeelingCRJBasically, any song by Carly: "Roses", "Making the most of the night", "Call me maybe"... I'll vote anything by Carly, but this one is a masterpiece. Robyn and Carly Rae owned the decade of pop music by fully going for it emotionally, but to entirely different ends. Where Robyn was not afraid to revel in sadness and braggadocio, Carly Rae remained ever hopeful, and this song is her crown jewel.
1​
Dancing On My OwnRobynFor me, this song came from nowhere and it is pop perfection. That's all. Set the tone for this decade's introspective pop. This song is amazing-sounding and captures perfectly what it feels like be in the 2010s. Probably the first true modern pop song of the decade, super influential. Robyn Rules! Because it's the perfect "sad" dance song. It's Robyn. Head-bopper that keeps you up when your already there and brings you up if you're not. It doesn't get old. It's everything a pop jam should be.
17​
Do I Wanna Know Arctic MonkeysIndie Rock meets sleek RnB in 4 and a half minutes of sexually charged pop brilliance.
13​
Everything is EmbarassingSky Ferreira2013 was the year of Dev Hynes, between this, Solange's True EP and Cupid Deluxe he became the go to for soft, 80s throwbacks that didn't have the stench of pastiche. Everything Is Embarrassing remains the pinnacle of his work so far, a downtrodden prom song elevated by Sky's ear for melody and defeated vocals. 6 years have passed and it hasn't aged a bit, though many have attempted to copy it's magic since. Another super influential song, perfect bedroom pop. One of the first hits for producers Blood Orange and Ariel Rechtshaid who went on to write/produce some of the best songs of the decade. Because this is the kind of songs that never goes out of style
33​
Fade AwaySusanne SundforBecause this is the sound of my heart, it sounds of me
41​
FallingHAIM1980’s Fleetwood Mac remodelled for millennials. Pure joyful brilliance!
18​
FlawlessBeyonceThis song was huge in pop culture. There have been many songs to boost your self esteem but this was the ultimate one for all the girls out there. Even with your imperfections, you are goddamn flawless and should be treated as such. I could go on and on about Bey's inclusion of the excerpt from We Should All Be Feminists but her on the VMAs standing in the darkness in front of the world feminist, was fucking huge for me. It felt like the mainstream was finally seeing us and destigmatizing it, even just a little. I just got goosebumps thinking about it. Bey was with us. Fuck White Feminism and dismissing her black and intersectional feminism. She is living it fucking daily. Yesssssssss

24​
Flesh Without BloodGrimesAdded a layer of darkness that most pop songs have but do not like to draw attention to. This decade was the one that people started taking pop music seriously.
6​
FormationBeyonceBey decided to stop making music for EVERYONE and just make music for black women. And little did we know how much we all needed it. There were many notable political pop songs over the course of the decade. but most of them were not performed during a Super Bowl half-time show.
FourFiveSecondsKanye West, Rihanna, Paul McCartney
59​
GladlyTirzahIt's not even the best song off of one of the best albums of the past decade and it's still phenomenal. It's downtempo, dreamy, emotional, and feels like you are basking in the evening sunlight coming through your bedroom window.
God Is a WomanAriana GrandeBritney, N'Sync, and the Backstreet Boys defined the late 90s. Ariana Grande was a defining figure of the late 2010s. She can sound like anybody, but nobody can sound like her.
29​
Good as HellLizzoThis song is in everything, everywhere and is fun to dance to. I can't wait to see the dances for it at Mardi Gras.
57​
Good For You Selena GomezYou know I admire Selena. This is song is pure sex. I prefer the album version, but the single version is good too (except for the rap verse).
52​
Green LightLordeRoyals might be her best known song but Green Light is the dance floor banger we all need now.
Harlem ShakeBaauerThe first #1 hit driven by YouTube views, it arguably paved the way for many Vine/Musical.ly/Tik Tok meme-driven hits throughout the decade (for better or for worse).
16​
HelloAdeleThis song hit like a tidal wave upon release, everyone knows it and loves it regardless of age.
53​
High HopesPanic at the DiscoThis song has legs and will be around for a long time. It's also hella fun to sing.
Hold On, We're Going HomeDrakeThis song is infectious. I had it on repeat for months when this first was released.
64​
Hold UpBeyonceBeyoncé and I both love Santigold and this song shows.
37​
I Belong In Your ArmsChairliftCaroline Polachek's vocals have the ability to turn from breezy to soaring when she shifts into a higher octave on a dime, as she does in this song.
26​
I Like Myself (Most of the Time)K. Flay
I Like ThatJanelle MonaeIt's a great jam that somehow gets even greater in the context of the album. I can listen to it on repeat. It's fun, it's serious, it's a "little crazy, little sexy, little cool." The chorus gets stuck in your head and the song's message is one we all should hold on to. In other words, it "keeps the whole world afloat."
63​
I Really Like YouCRJ
51​
Juice LizzoMassive hooks
62​
LatchDisclosure
55​
Love is GreedPassion PitPassion Pit is one of my biggest pop crushes, this album meant so much to me when it came out, 2012 I graduated college and left for China, take a walk was a song I thought he was singing to me, time for me to step outside my comfort zone and live life the way I want to live it. Then three months later my father passed away from lung cancer, I was half way across the world and there was nothing I could do, Love is greed was a song that I kept playing on repeat, while this song could certainly be taken to be about love in a romantic relationship, I took it as an unconditional love between family members, because at the end of the day opening up your heart to someone is the most frightening thing to do because if/when things go south you have to deal with all the emotions that come with it. Love is greed made me feel it was ok to be greedy, because I want to love and I want to give love.
43​
Make Me FeelJanelle Monaejanelle is my pick for pop artist of the 2010s. this song is one of the reasons why.
32​
MalmoStarfuckerThe song is an upbeat tune you can dance to, the lyrics are about not needing some eye in the sky to watch over you, basically your religion is keeping you fearful. The lyrci This is the holocene, is a great example of them saying this is the time of us not a time for god. Brave, unforgivable, this song keeps your head nodding.
22​
Next Level CharliCharli XCXIt shows the direction that I believe pop is going to go in the future with bubblegum bass and PC music-influenced production.
25​
OblivionGrimesArguably the song of the decade for me. Combines aural, heady, electronic playfulness with lyrics detailing sexual assault...an amalgamation very surreal and perhaps unsettling. Amazing how this song, as well as the entire album "Visions" was made in Garageband in three weeks.
50​
Old Town RoadLil' NasIt’s fucking everywhere and catchy as hell. Bonus for being the longest reigning #1 of all time.
31​
Only GirlRihannawhenever this song came on the radio while playing grand theft auto v, i had to let it play through to the end. every time. that’s a sign of a good pop song. and rihanna has a lot of good pop songs.
45​
PowerKanye WestThis song was poppin' started the decade right imo
40​
RealitiGrimesThe best song from the best DYI pop artist of the decade.
23​
RecoverChvrchesMy favorite song from one of my favorite bands of the decade. I tear up every time I hear it!
RetrogradeJames BlakeI feel like this song brought a lot of unconventional sounds to the mainstream.
28​
RoarKaty PerryBest Katy perry song
15​
Rolling In The DeepAdeleThis song stopped the music world in it's tracks all at once. WE ALL tuned into the Adele show in 2010. Can't leave Adele off of a 2010's decade defining list.
5​
RoyalsLordeThis track stunned me on first listen. The fingersnaps, open sounding bass, very smart lyrics...the minimal production keeps the listener waiting with bated breath. Wondering if Billie Eilish (the current pop darling of this year) was influenced by Lorde's vocal style and music?
2​
Run Away With MeCRJThe saxophones! It is the siren call of those with impeccable taste.Reason? C'mon. Just listen to it! Also, Mr Robot.Single-handedly spawned r/popheads and ushered in a newfound wave of Carly fans and memes. The 80's-inspired sounds on this track, as well as throughout the fantastic "E-MO-TION" would be a trend seen in pop albums following its wake, continuing to this day. Also was responsible for the re-ignition of her career to propel her above more than just being known as the "Call Me Maybe" songstress. This one is a more personal choice, I just love her and had a hard time picking a favorite. I settled on this one because it got me through some tough times. Though it didn't blow the charts up like it should have, almost everyone who hears it agrees its one of the best pop songs of the decade. It's perfect and one of CRJ's greatest works, not much more needs to be said :3
3​
Shake It OffTaylor SwiftTaylor had quite a decade. This song sky rocketed her from just the living rooms of country fans to the living rooms of everyone. No reasoning needed. Another absolutely huge song and a perfect song by Taylor. She was obviously on her way to pop for awhile beforehand but this was the song that completed the transition and you couldnt escape this song when it was released. And it was just a part of the whole 1989 album that was just so great.That drum line and the honking sax was such a new sound. This song let everyone know her transition to pop was complete. No explanation needed, her first song after declaring she was now officially a pop artist and it was HUGE. This one was everywhere and hasn't died yet.
38​
Shape of YouEd SheeranThis is the number one streamed song on Spotify.

SisterK. Flay
36​
SlideCalvin Harris ft Frank Ocean & Migos
56​
Slip AwayPerfume GeniusInspiring, interesting, uplifting, fills me with happiness every time.
Sober Demi Lovatopop songs usually don’t get more real and personal than this one. not sure this song will get any other votes, but its honesty and expression of vulnerability deserves mention as a standout track of the decade.
58​
Somebody ElseThe 1975So what we have is 5 minutes of tear jerking synth pop build up with Matt Healy's vocals reigned in for the first time in his life, this is the song that made critics stop and pay attention, no more parodying Manchester bad men, these boys had heart and continue to wear it proudly on their sleeves. Sure their output can be hit or miss, but for anyone to have a song like Somebody Else in their arsenal is reason enough to keep an eye on them.
Somebody Loves YouBetty Whothe best pop song is always just a simple love song
61​
Somebody That I Used to KnowGoyteIt was stuck in my head for the better half of 2012.
12​
SorryBeyonceIt's just a fucking classic
Sorry Not SorryDemi LovatoPerfect pop songs for me are ones that are full of energy and empowerment. This has both in abundance.
60​
Stay The NightZedd feat Hayley WilliamsHayley Williams' voice means quite a bit to me personally. It's one that got me to love music in the first place. The melody mixed with Hayley's vocals shows she can sing ANYTHING.
27​
Teenage DreamKaty PerryI don't think there is a better pop song or one that represents the beginning of the decade better than this one. A near perfect Pop song on a near perfect pop album
9​
The Edge of GloryLady GagaGaga's Born This Way era was cruelly overlooked during the recent media's end of decade summaries, a brave kitchen sink album featuring some of the riskiest choices made by a major pop star this millennium. The Edge of Glory is not a risk taker takes a step back from the album to showcase it's giant heart, from the heartbeats kicking off the song to the emotive fluttering synths and sax solo going off halfway through, it's rare that i make it through without a lump in my throat.
44​
This Baby Don't CryK. Flay
8​
Tik TokKeshaThe first #1 hit of the decade and one of the definitive hits of the early 2010s ‘club boom’ era. Represents the start of the decade and the feel good mood of a lot of the pop songs near the beginning of the 2010s, and was inescapable at the time of its release and made an undeniable impact
19​
Uptown FunkBruno MarsYou still can't go too long today without hearing this song somewhere, timeless classic!
48​
Video Games Lana Del Rey
21​
Vroom VroomCharli XCX
42​
Where R U NowJack U (Diplo & Skrillex) ft. Justin Bieber
30​
Wrecking BallMiley CyrusIt's Miley at her peak.

HERE WE GO!! Bracket is live!

I'll probably keep this open until a few days into the new year to make sure people have a chance to vote. Please read the reasons (above) and listen, especially if you are unfamiliar with a song. And have fun!!!

giphy.gif

Back