Political Discussion

Returning the link favor from earlier today

Start hiring! American labor is cheap.

Wanted: Unpaid intern to take all my blame!

Skills: Must be a terrible person so I don’t feel guilty…

As of right now it appears the SCOTUS will uphold Mississippi's 15 week abortion ban law. It is unclear if they will overturn Roe v Wade in full.

As of right now it appears the SCOTUS will uphold Mississippi's 15 week abortion ban law. It is unclear if they will overturn Roe v Wade in full.
It’s a fait accompli at this point. It’s just a matter of how they do it. If Roberts can get ACB and Kavannaugh (who are both giant Catholics) to go along with his very narrow ruling which will allow state to determine their own (and likely very narrow) window in a pregnancy when abortions would be allowed, in which case other states will shorten that window to like a single day or, more than likely; the Conservative block will just overturn Roe v. Wade leaving the decision to the states and with that, Abortion will be made illegal (for the poor) in large swaths of the country and where the determination on whether abortion is legal in swing states will come down to who control the State house.

Last edited:
Abortion will be made illegal (for the poor) in large swaths of the country and where the determination on whether abortion is legal in swing states will come down to who control the State house.
And just to add, if a woman wants and abortion, she's going to get it. It's the question of whether or not she deserves to safely do it with an actual doctor in a facility. Rich women who live in restrictive states will just hop on a plane and will never have to worry about this. The only real good news in any of this is that you can now get Plan B OTC.

And just to add, if a woman wants and abortion, she's going to get it. It's the question of whether or not she deserves to safely do it with an actual doctor in a facility. Rich women who live in restrictive states will just hop on a plane and will never have to worry about this. The only real good news in any of this is that you can now get Plan B OTC.

This, and it even happens today.

My aunt was telling me about a 19 year old girl they allowed to move into their house to help her out. She was pregnant and poor and had no support from family. She had already tried to abort the child herself twice and field. She had the baby earlier this year.

The girl was friends with one of her stable hands or something like that.

Take away access and stuff like this will only become more common when it's not just money limiting access.

One thing I also wonder, is what happens to those with the means to seek an abortion in another state. Could a state make that illegal? I'm sure they will try at least.

This, and it even happens today.

My aunt was telling me about a 19 year old girl they allowed to move into their house to help her out. She was pregnant and poor and had no support from family. She had already tried to abort the child herself twice and field. She had the baby earlier this year.

The girl was friends with one of her stable hands or something like that.

Take away access and stuff like this will only become more common when it's not just money limiting access.

One thing I also wonder, is what happens to those with the means to seek an abortion in another state. Could a state make that illegal? I'm sure they will try at least.
I'm considering cannabis laws here, but my guess is no. You can go to CA or CO and buy and imbibe legal cannabis, and no other state can do anything about it--while you are there, or after the fact.

Support for gun control is at its lowest point in years. In fact support for gun control laws / measures have not been this low since before the Columbine School shooting in 1999.

Support for gun control laws was at its highest after the Parkland School shooting in 2018.

Mass shootings continue to increasing at alarming rates with 2021 being on pace for having the most ever.

I wonder what is driving the lack of support for gun control laws. It has to be more than just culture wars and the divide between the right and the left.

Support for gun control is at its lowest point in years. In fact support for gun control laws / measures have not been this low since before the Columbine School shooting in 1999.

Support for gun control laws was at its highest after the Parkland School shooting in 2018.

Mass shootings continue to increasing at alarming rates with 2021 being on pace for having the most ever.

I wonder what is driving the lack of support for gun control laws. It has to be more than just culture wars and the divide between the right and the left.
My guess would be that many have began viewing the issue as futile. I am all for gun control laws but half measures and loop holes have proven ineffective. at a certain point it sadly has just become an accepted part of American culture, along the lines you f homelessness and Opioids. There are things that could be done to fix these issues but for the most part most politicians see no benefit in addressing these programs so here we are.

People in rural areas are generally against gun control while people in urban areas usually lean more towards gun control. This has to do with the part that guns play in the country as opposed to the city. You need a rifle for hunting and protection, and most kids are taught gun safety at young ages. You could also say that a gun is protection in the city, but you aren't shooting deer with that rifle.

So let's consider this:
Gun sales, which spiked sharply during the early months of the coronavirus pandemic, have continued to increase in the United States, with first-time buyers making up more than one-fifth of Americans who purchased guns.

A study by the General Social Survey, a public opinion poll conducted by a research center at the University of Chicago, 39% of American households own guns, up from 32% in 2016...

A third data study, compiled by Northeastern University and the Harvard Injury Control Research Center and seen by the New York Times, shows that 6.5% of US adults, or 17 million people, have purchased guns in the past year, up from 5.3% in 2019.

Of those, almost one-fifth who bought guns last year were first-time gun owners of whom half were women, a fifth were Black and a fifth were Hispanic, challenging the stereotype of white male gun owners building personal arsenals. In 2021, gun owners overall were 63% male, 73% were white, 10% were Black and 12% Hispanic.

Since the pandemic, more and more Americans have decided to arm themselves with gun sales to women shooting up (pun intended). As a woman who lives near one of the highest crime cities in the US, I understand the yen to have extra protection especially when my news tells me every night how criminals are regularly targeting women who are alone. Thus, as a person who could easily see herself being a victim of a crime simply because of gender, I can see why many women are buying and carrying a gun.

With more people owning guns, more people are going to be against limiting legal access to guns because criminals don't worry about whether their gun is legal or not. If you limit access to people, you are only limiting that access to law abiding people, thus many argue that the only thing that gun laws do is keep people from protecting themselves. And as crime rises--which I know it's rising around me--there are more and more arguments for having a gun. Because of all this, many Americans believe that gun control laws will not reduce mass shootings.

Americans are split over whether legal changes would lead to fewer mass shootings, according to the same spring 2021 poll. About half of adults (49%) say there would be fewer mass shootings if it was harder for people to obtain guns legally, while about as many either say this would make no difference (42%) or that there would be more mass shootings (9%).

The public is even more divided about the effects of gun ownership on crime overall. Around a third (34%) say that if more people owned guns, there would be more crime. The same percentage (34%) say there would be no difference in crime, while 31% say there would be less crime.

As homicides rise, there is more and more reason for people to feel pressured to keep protection on them. We saw the highest jump of homicides in 2020 and while that rate has slowed in 2021, it's still rising.

The US has experienced its largest-ever recorded annual increase in murders, according to new statistics from the FBI, with the national murder rate rising nearly 30% in 2020 – the biggest jump in six decades.

Nearly 5,000 more Americans were murdered across the country last year than the year before, even as rape, robbery, and other property crimes fell, according to FBI figures.

So, yeah, a large percentage of people think gun control is futile for mass shooting reduction and a smaller number of people believe that gun ownership rising does not increase crime--because a person who follows laws will always follow laws regardless of whether they have a gun or not as their reasoning. Violent crimes like homicide are rising and women are often a target, which has pressured many people (women especially) to start carrying a gun for protection. Legal gun owners tend to be against too many limits to guns because things like small or easily concealed are things that are necessary for personal protection.

Abortion and Gun Control (along with human/lgbt rights) are some of the more prominent hot button issues that give us an illusion of at least a 2 party system. These issues cannot be effectively resolved without dissolving platforms for opponents to create to drive voter turnout to maintain said illusion.

Abortion and Gun Control (along with human/lgbt rights) are some of the more prominent hot button issues that give us an illusion of at least a 2 party system. These issues cannot be effectively resolved without dissolving platforms for opponents to create to drive voter turnout to maintain said illusion.
If we talk about abortion rights or gun rights, we don't have to talk about the right to earn a living wage, which over half of all Americans do not do.

No one should be working 35 hours a week and still be eligible for SNAP.

No one should be working 35 hours a week and still be eligible for SNAP.

Very true.

And it's sad that probably half the population believe that those people working 35 hours a week our scumbags taking advantage of the system and believe their hard earned money is being taken away from them via taxes to subsidize these lazy people.

They don't see the issue that someone working at least 35 hours a week needs to be on SNAP benefits to get by. They see it as these people should work harder, get another job, make better financial decisions and what not rather than having their tax dollars being taken away to help these people get by.

It was great to see family last week but man was it hard to put up with them. They got into several heated political debates and I just tried to stay out of it. My views were never going to be accepted.

There was a lot of hate on immigrants and a lot of talk about people not working because they are lazy.

My mom, grandmother and aunt all grew up and lived in Amherst Massachusetts for years. Amherst has 5 colleges including the main campus for UMASS and is one of the libralist communities in Massachusetts.

My grandmother has been a lifelong democrat. Hated Bush and Reagan. But she put Donald Trump up on a pedestal, hates Biden and is going to register as a Republican now that she just moved to South Carolina. She is currently registered as a Democrat.

She's been retired since the late 90's and been living off of Social Security and her Pension since then. She constantly complains about living on a fixed income and not being able to afford the cost of living. She said Donald Trump was a smart businessman. Under Trump the economy was good, her taxes have never been lower and she was finally able to start saving up some money.

Under Biden she has "NO MONEY. She was yelling out "I HAVE NO MONEY" whenever talking about Biden came up. According to her Biden is a "crook" and it's his fault that the economy is bad now, that gas prices have gone up and that Trump's tax credits have expired.

My mother countered with it's not Biden's fault that the economy is down, it's Covids. And Trump did nothing about covid. This really angered my grandmother. And she went on and on about why can't you accept my view points rather than thinking about what my mother was saying. And my Grandmother said Trump did too manage COVID. He closed the borders.

Between my aunt and grandmother, there was a lot of hating on immigrants and a lot of talk about people being lazy and where are the workers.

For both of them the argument that jobs don't pay enough and there isn't affordable childcare holds no weight / is not the issue. The issue is people are paid more by unemployment to stay at home and sit on their asses. The workers are out there, they are just lazy.

Then they both went on and on about "illegals" and how they are taking all the jobs because Americans are lazy.

I also feel like they don't know what they are talking about. Both my grandmother and aunt kept hating on immigrants. My mother called them out on that our family is immigrants who came through Ellis Island (my grandmother's parents) and that my grandmother has a huge hanging wall picture of Ellis Island. Both my grandmother and aunt said that's different. They came over legally.

But I don't think they understand what they are talking about. Because they keep interchanging illegal immigrants with those with green cards working here legally as the same people. My aunt kept saying "I'm not racist, but" and blah blah blah about immigrants that work at her company.

One thing my aunt was deeply perturbed about was how some of her co workers (she's a regional safety manager for warehouses), have no idea what they are doing, have far less experience and less education make 80k more than her just because they are bilingual. And that all the workers on the floor only speak spanish and are from Mexico and Chile.

My aunt also believed in all the conspiracy theories and that Trump won the election. And that mail in ballots are complete fraud. That the government was just handing people ballots and telling them to vote. Countless illegals filled out ballots not to mention not everyone should be voting.

When I countered that there is no evidence found to support any of that she just countered with that's because the evidence was destroyed. Example, the explosion at the AT&T building in TN. The building housed electronic voting machines that were secured that were about to be forensically investigated for fraud. Biden got rid of the evidence...

Whatever you said trying to make counter points, you were either wrong or they were angry that you would not accept their views.

Got to love family.

For both of them the argument that jobs don't pay enough and there isn't affordable childcare holds no weight / is not the issue. The issue is people are paid more by unemployment to stay at home and sit on their asses. The workers are out there, they are just lazy.

So they don't see a problem with businesses paying people less than unemployment pays them? A lot of women are still sitting out of the workforce because they cannot find reliable, affordable child care. If a person can make $10/hr but all the child care costs $12/hr, you lose money going to work. I won't say that most of these people do a cost benefit analysis when deciding whether or not to work, but just on a logic basis, would you do something that paid you less if you could get more money on unemployment? That's just stupid to trade in unemployment for a job if you lose money.

One thing my aunt was deeply perturbed about was how some of her co workers (she's a regional safety manager for warehouses), have no idea what they are doing, have far less experience and less education make 80k more than her just because they are bilingual.

I would have looked her straight in the face and said "Stop complaining and learn Spanish."

I'm sorry about your family. Mine are also "conservative" but my dad is rethinking things like for profit medicine as he sees how much they have been raising my prices and cutting my benefits. I think you were smart no to say much. I'm not sure it's worth the argument with people like this.

Back