Outdoor Speakers

sjaygray

Anyone have any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive way to listen to my records outside? I have a receiver with two sets of speaker outputs. Would to do this wirelessly somehow. Not sure if this is even possible though!

Anyone have any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive way to listen to my records outside? I have a receiver with two sets of speaker outputs. Would to do this wirelessly somehow. Not sure if this is even possible though!

Do you have a headphone output? I use this Bluetooth Trans-ceiver in transmit mode paired to a bluetooth speaker.

Ah! So simple! How easy was it to pair the transmitter with the speaker without any sort of interface?

I remember it being a pain to pair to my wife's bluetooth headphones but haven't had any issues with multiple speakers. Make sure what your pairing is right next to it and you might have to turn bluetooth off on your other devices.

The manual can be downloaded on the product page

I am looking for recommendations for the best way to listen to my records outside. Let's assume I am basically starting from scratch...I have a turntable with a built-in preamp, and that's it....no receiver, no speakers. Ideally, I would want to do this wirelessly, as my turntable is quite a distance from my deck and hard wiring would be a real project. I'm ready to spend $1k but could go a bit higher if need be. Thanks.

I am looking for recommendations for the best way to listen to my records outside. Let's assume I am basically starting from scratch...I have a turntable with a built-in preamp, and that's it....no receiver, no speakers. Ideally, I would want to do this wirelessly, as my turntable is quite a distance from my deck and hard wiring would be a real project. I'm ready to spend $1k but could go a bit higher if need be. Thanks.
Here's a fairly good short article on exactly what you're looking to do.

Last edited:
He's a fairly good short article on exactly what you're looking to do.

Thanks for this. I guess my next question is...who makes good bluetooth speakers that can be installed on my deck permanently? I just did about an hour of research and it seems there are very, very few options. Most good permanent outdoor speakers are not bluetooth compatible, and most bluetooth speakers are portable.

Tom's List is always pretty reliable, There are a few Bluetooth options in their best outdoor speaker list here

If it was me and I had a B speaker output on my reciever I would probably just buy a nice used set of wired speakers (from Craigslists or Thrift) to use outside and bring them in when not in use or off season. But I'm pretty old school and frugal. :cool:

Last edited:
Tom's List is always pretty reliable, There are a few Bluetooth options in their best outdoor speaker list here

If it was me and I had a B speaker output on my reciever I would probably just buy a nice used set of wired speakers (from Craigslists or Thrift) to use outside and bring them in when not in use or off season. But I'm pretty old school. :cool:
Thanks. This pretty much confirms my research. The good quality outdoor speakers (Polk, Klipsch) are not BT compatible.

Thanks. This pretty much confirms my research. The good quality outdoor speakers (Polk, Klipsch) are not BT compatible.
Your welcome. Their complete Bluetooth Speaker list is here, but you would need to bring these in for weather/seasonal and not in use of course.

Its a bit more expensive but you could run the turntable into a sonos connect/port and then have a sonos amp situated at the nearest plug to where you want the speakers outside and then it’s a much shorter speaker cable run. Still not ideal digitising analogue but it is convenient and WiFi, and particularly Ethernet, has a miles larger bandwidth than Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Also actually @Jeff Lerner I don’t know if anyone pointed this out but with you saying it’s a long cable run I just wanted to flag that bluetooth can be a bit more limited with range. I’d say if the Bluetooth speakers are approaching 10m/30ft approx away from the transmitter you might start to run into signal strength issue and drop outs. Walls/obstructions and interference can shorten this further too.

Also actually @Jeff Lerner I don’t know if anyone pointed this out but with you saying it’s a long cable run I just wanted to flag that bluetooth can be a bit more limited with range. I’d say if the Bluetooth speakers are approaching 10m/30ft approx away from the transmitter you might start to run into signal strength issue and drop outs. Walls/obstructions and interference can shorten this further too.
Good to know. the speakers would be around 20ft away from the transmitter, with one wall in between.

Good to know. the speakers would be around 20ft away from the transmitter, with one wall in between.

It’s something you can test pretty easily with a phone and a set of Bluetooth headphones if you have them before you actually go out and buy anything.

Back