Ortofon Blue upgrade from Red?

NoTrend

I'm not a big audiophile person, and I won't pretend to know much. So I know this may sound like a dumb question ...

I am debating on upgrading from my 2m Red to Blue. Is there a big jump? I am using an AT-120 LP.

I like the 2M Red but it seems like from reviews and things I've read, the blue is a big jump in terms of sound

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to reply!

Have had both - definite upgrade. It's detailed like the red but fuller/richer in sound. There may be better options for less money but if you want an easy upgrade path from the red it's great.
For someone who plays a lot of jazz records but then goes right into noise records or experimental records, I assume I would hear a big difference with the Jazz recordings?

Is there anything maybe a bit better than the blue? I see the bronze but I've read some people prefer the blue...

For someone who plays a lot of jazz records but then goes right into noise records or experimental records, I assume I would hear a big difference with the Jazz recordings?

Is there anything maybe a bit better than the blue? I see the bronze but I've read some people prefer the blue...
The red and blue share the same cart. Bronze/black share the same cart. So upgrading from blue to bronze is next level, but also about double the money. A few people on here have the black (like @Mather) and really like it but I would not put one on your particular table. I would stick with the blue especially for the price.

I also have a heavy jazz collection, and you will hear things you've never heard before with the blue. I also play some bass heavy R&B and hip hop sometimes and it's not overly bassy or muddy if that makes sense.

The red and blue share the same cart. Bronze/black share the same cart. So upgrading from blue to bronze is next level, but also about double the money. A few people on here have the black (like @Mather) and really like it but I would not put one on your particular table. I would stick with the blue especially for the price.

I also have a heavy jazz collection, and you will hear things you've never heard before with the blue. I also play some bass heavy R&B and hip hop sometimes and it's not overly bassy or muddy if that makes sense.
Thanks for the reply

That's what I was thinking with the bronze (I should get a better turntable first). Blue seems the way to go, I think I would make my red the back up. Is there anything else you'd or anyone recommend in the blue price point (or even if it's a touch higher)?

Thanks for the reply

That's what I was thinking with the bronze (I should get a better turntable first). Blue seems the way to go, I think I would make my red the back up. Is there anything else you'd or anyone recommend in the blue price point (or even if it's a touch higher)?
I've heard good things about the Nagaoka MP-110 and the ATVM95 (underrated at its price point), and I think both are cheaper than the blue. I wouldn't spend more than the blue costs for your table. There are others on here more qualified than me on that issue, and compatibility with your table. @HiFi Guy may wish to chime in. That said, I really like my blue, and going back to your original question, it's worth the upgrade.

Blue and Red share the same cart? I have a red and will likely be replacing the needle in the next year. So am I able to buy a Blue needle and put it in the Red? (Dont know too much about this)

Also prices in Europe are much cheaper (danish company and it seems an exclusive to Europe 100th anniversary upgrade edition last year) even including shipping so check out

www.analogueseduction.net

should save a few dollars. When you go to basket it will knock 20% off the list as you are outside the eu so shouldn’t have to pay VAT.

Yes - thanks @Joe Mac! This makes it easy/cheaper for @NoTrend.
Ah Just read this, pulled the trigger on the Blue needle and cartridge. Ah well! Red will be the back up

For those that use say the red as a back up, do you use it for maybe dirtier or not so great shape records? I think I may try to use the blue only for my mint records/higher end records

Thanks for the replies everyone! thanks @marshall for the info!

Ah Just read this, pulled the trigger on the Blue needle and cartridge. Ah well! Red will be the back up

For those that use say the red as a back up, do you use it for maybe dirtier or not so great shape records? I think I may try to use the blue only for my mint records/higher end records

Thanks for the replies everyone! thanks @marshall for the info!
Dirtier records really won't matter red vs blue. I would consider cancelling and just order a blue stylus to save $100, but that's me. The cart itself won't "wear out" like a stylus will. If anything, keep the red stylus around in case you accidentally damage the blue to hold you over until you get another.

I upgraded to the Blue from the Red about a year ago and love it. I also listen to a lot of jazz and I have found the Blue to have a much better sound on acoustic bass. It sounds quite a bit fuller to my ears.

Came to ask this exact question. I have had a discussion on here about this before and was told I could get an arguably better Grado for similar or less money, but ultimately, I just don't have the time or desire to monkey around with re-calibrating the tone arm and everything else that goes into a full blown cart replacement. I'm sure it isn't HARD, I just don't have the desire. So, I am likely going to jump from the red to the blue myself. I'd be curious what the OP thinks when the upgrade is complete!

Came to ask this exact question. I have had a discussion on here about this before and was told I could get an arguably better Grado for similar or less money, but ultimately, I just don't have the time or desire to monkey around with re-calibrating the tone arm and everything else that goes into a full blown cart replacement. I'm sure it isn't HARD, I just don't have the desire. So, I am likely going to jump from the red to the blue myself. I'd be curious what the OP thinks when the upgrade is complete!
Upgrading the red to blue stylus is super simple and takes less than 10 seconds. I found a good price on the blue and like you said, didn't have the time nor patience to monkey around with the re-calibration process. Once this blue hits the end of its lifecycle in a couple years, I'll re-visit the discussion.

Upgrading the red to blue stylus is super simple and takes less than 10 seconds. I found a good price on the blue and like you said, didn't have the time nor patience to monkey around with the re-calibration process. Once this blue hits the end of its lifecycle in a couple years, I'll re-visit the discussion.
How noticeable was the difference in sound for you? I don’t have a super high end system, but it’s not garbage either: basic Onkyo receiver, Uturn Custom maple deck, and a pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 bookshelf speakers.

Not necessarily what you asked but I had that TT way back when and liked the AT440mla on it. I think there is a successor to it.

I’ve also done the blue and red and blue is nicer but at some point you’re limited by TT.

How noticeable was the difference in sound for you? I don’t have a super high end system, but it’s not garbage either: basic Onkyo receiver, Uturn Custom maple deck, and a pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 bookshelf speakers.
I noticed an added depth and detail to the soundstage and a reduction in sibilance on albums. I would think you'd notice something with your set-up. To put it simply, I now have an easier time telling if an album is just a bad pressing, whereas the red kind of blended those characteristics together.

Back