NYClub

TimmahTao

Here is a thread to post about good record store, bad record stores, the insanity that is record resellers pricing dollar bin records up to $10 in Billyburg, and how we all avoid going to the VMP SPINs events. Because they are boring and generic. Go to Bierwax instead because one of my friends spins good punk shit.

Also, @gouis mentioned that they would come explain why NYC is hell if we started a thread, and I, for one, look forward to that.

Here is a thread to post about good record store, bad record stores, the insanity that is record resellers pricing dollar bin records up to $10 in Billyburg, and how we all avoid going to the VMP SPINs events. Because they are boring and generic. Go to Bierwax instead because one of my friends spins good punk shit.

Also, @gouis mentioned that they would come explain why NYC is hell if we started a thread, and I, for one, look forward to that.
Lol my personal hell! Not hell for everyone.

It’s loud, crowded, expensive, and not at all relaxing for me. It’s fun to visit for sure.

Lol my personal hell! Not hell for everyone.

It’s loud, crowded, expensive, and not at all relaxing for me. It’s fun to visit for sure.
Manhattan and Williamsburg are the parts I try to avoid, if I can. Plus I commute early enough that the roads are basically empty. That helps.

Mostly this.
So much amazing food though. And concerts. No one comes upstate at all.
I mean, can you blame them? As Homer put it on a recent episode: "We're headed to the one place that can never decline because it was never that great: Upstate New York." Plus, most entertainers don't play nice to the deep red voting population that seem to form the majority of the non-NYC & non-Hudson Valley populations.

Yeah, I love visiting NYC, but the best and worst thing about being close is you have to go to NYC for shows. No one really tours up here. Especially now that I'd say at least 50% of the artists I want to see go to Brooklyn only. It's just too far.

If an artist hits just NYC, Chicago, and LA though, at least I can possibly go!

most entertainers don't play nice to the deep red voting population

LOL. Any NYS county with a "major" city votes blue in most if not all primary and general elections.
Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Ithaca... Bands just think NYC when they think New York.

*Edit: And don't get me wrong. I love (to visit) NYC. I just hate that I have to travel a couple hours and pay out the ass to see my favorite bands.

Yeah, I love visiting NYC, but the best and worst thing about being close is you have to go to NYC for shows. No one really tours up here. Especially now that I'd say at least 50% of the artists I want to see go to Brooklyn only. It's just too far.

If an artist hits just NYC, Chicago, and LA though, at least I can possibly go!
When I lived in CT I used to drive to New Haven, take the train 2 hours (one way) into Grand Central and then Subway to wherever the show was. I can't believe how often I did that because I can't imagine doing that anymore unless it was someone I absolutely needed to see. All good experiences, but it's so expensive to travel and a lot of time wasted.

Hey NYC folk I'm hoping you can help me out

Trying to plan a cool birthday dinner for myself and a group of friends next Saturday. Wondering if you have some good suggestions. Will probably be about 15ish people and I'm willing to spend a good amount given the occasion. Was thinking Luger's but might be too big of a group? Estiatorio Milos is really amazing but they said we'd have to spend a minimum of $2500 for a group of 18 o_O. I kinda like the idea of doing the signature Beijing Peking Duck dinner at Hwa Yuan. Marlow + Sons seems like a more casual option that could be easier to do (and cheaper).

Open to any and all suggestions please and thank you. Also, if this isn't the right place for this kind of post please let me know. Don't want to intrude too much. Thanks!

Hey NYC folk I'm hoping you can help me out

Trying to plan a cool birthday dinner for myself and a group of friends next Saturday. Wondering if you have some good suggestions. Will probably be about 15ish people and I'm willing to spend a good amount given the occasion. Was thinking Luger's but might be too big of a group? Estiatorio Milos is really amazing but they said we'd have to spend a minimum of $2500 for a group of 18 o_O. I kinda like the idea of doing the signature Beijing Peking Duck dinner at Hwa Yuan. Marlow + Sons seems like a more casual option that could be easier to do (and cheaper).

Open to any and all suggestions please and thank you. Also, if this isn't the right place for this kind of post please let me know. Don't want to intrude too much. Thanks!
Go to Lugers. And then ascend to heaven.

Go to Lugers. And then ascend to heaven.

Unless somethings changed and its easier now, getting any kind of reservation at Luger's with only a week notice is going to be impossible, let alone for 15 people.

I went to Quality Eats back in October with a big group. That was good.

If anybody in NY is a John Prine fan, he's playing a last minute show in NYC at Webster Hall this sunday night. Tix on sale now. Not sure if it's sold out yet or not.

So, if a truck driving person was in NJ parked up at the Vince Lombardi service plaza for the night, how would I get over to NYC without paying $100 for an uber? Is it possible?

So, if a truck driving person was in NJ parked up at the Vince Lombardi service plaza for the night, how would I get over to NYC without paying $100 for an uber? Is it possible?
Is that the same as the Vince Lombardi Park and Ride? There's a bus from there...otherwise not super familiar with Jersey....

Heading into the City for work Tue-Thu. Busy from 9-5 all 3 days.

Good shops near Greenwich Village? Staying at the Marlton on 5 W. 8th Street. I won't have time to head into Brooklyn, where I have shopped at Human Head.

I use The Vinyl District app. Generation is nearby. Turntable Lab has a store not far away, and Academy looks reasonably close.

Last edited:

Good shops near Greenwich Village? Staying at the Marlton on 5 W. 8th Street. I won't have time to head into Brooklyn, where I have shopped at Human Head.

I use The Vinyl District app. Generation is nearby. Turntable Lab has a store not far away, and Academy looks reasonbly close.
Academy on 12th st for jazz for sure. There is another Academy on 19th it something but 12th seems to be better for vinyl. TTL and A1 are other good options.

I use The Vinyl District app. Generation is nearby. Turntable Lab has a store not far away, and Academy looks reasonbly close.
Generation Records is a (the last?) Greenwich staple - all their used stuff is downstairs but maybe “new arrivals” is still hiding by the window in the front.

My friend who’s a Cure fanatic really likes Record Runner (also in Greenwich Village) but he’s mainly adding to his Robert Smith shrine, I haven’t had as much luck there but who knows.

In Living Stereo is a high end audio place that also has a used section. I remember my friend picking up a Buhloone Mindstate promo out of their new arrivals bin for cheap.

A1 and Good Records are both good for used stuff, I’ve picked up a lot of punk and jazz at those over the years.

TTL has all new vinyl but 10% off 4+ and they have their own exclusives. Saw their Frightnrs one on the wall last week.

It’s not like it used to be :-/ RIP Other, Bleecker Bob, Bleecker Street and many more...

Generation Records is a (the last?) Greenwich staple - all their used stuff is downstairs but maybe “new arrivals” is still hiding by the window in the front.

My friend who’s a Cure fanatic really likes Record Runner (also in Greenwich Village) but he’s mainly adding to his Robert Smith shrine, I haven’t had as much luck there but who knows.

In Living Stereo is a high end audio place that also has a used section. I remember my friend picking up a Buhloone Mindstate promo out of their new arrivals bin for cheap.

A1 and Good Records are both good for used stuff, I’ve picked up a lot of punk and jazz at those over the years.

TTL has all new vinyl but 10% off 4+ and they have their own exclusives. Saw their Frightnrs one on the wall last week.

It’s not like it used to be :-/ RIP Other, Bleecker Bob, Bleecker Street and many more...
In Living Stereo is only a hifi store now...it was one of my favorites but they got rid of the record store portion a few years ago unless they brought the records back.

Back