Nicole Atkins: Ask Me Anything

Teeeee

Hello -

We're really excited to have Nicole join us! She'll be here on Monday, September 16, 1pm EST.

If you will not be able to join us, please feel free to post your question/comment/etc for Nicole ahead of time. I ask, though, that we not clog this thread up too much yet. Please for now, just post what you may want to ask her if you are unable to join us.

Thank you all for a great month and for all the positive feedback for Nicole and for @Reed and Single Lock Records!

Huge love to you all!
Teeeeee

Last edited:
Two questions

How did you feel when a barely known (we had 2 AMAs before but still we aren't the biggest) vinyl forum fell in love with your record and featured it in an unofficial record club?

What album do you feel influenced your sound that no one would expect? A kind of musical interest that would be surprising with the sound of goodnight Rhonda lee

Reading this on the singlelock records blog " you couldn’t walk ten feet without seeing the great Nicole Atkins lending her voice to numerous artists—" i would kike to ask what were your favourite collaborations so far and what would be your personal dream collaborators?

You have about 4 studio albums and 1 live album. That's a lot of time for a creative person to mature. What are some lessons you have learned about making creative decisions? How do you know when to add something to a song, take away something, or when it has just enough?

Give us an example of a decision you made on Goodnight Rhonda that you feel got it right and/or something you struggled with.

What is your favorite ice cream flavor, brand, and method of preparation (syrup, sprinkles, etc.)?

(We ask silly stuff too, usually based on conversations from the guess thread. But we now know that Mark de Clive-Lowe thinks a hot dog is a sandwich. And we know Khemmis’ personal fruit rankings)

What is your favorite ice cream flavor, brand, and method of preparation (syrup, sprinkles, etc.)?

(We ask silly stuff too, usually based on conversations from the guess thread. But we now know that Mark de Clive-Lowe mistakenly thinks a hot dog is a sandwich. And we know Khemmis’ personal fruit rankings)

Fixed that for both of you 😜

As I was reading your Wikipedia entry I could not help but notice you are the only woman named in a sea of men in the music industry. I‘d like to hear your take on carving out success as a woman in the industry.

Also, as a fellow human born in 1978 I am curious about your views on becoming a 40 something and any impact that has had on your music career.

Finally, as a former Nashvillian who still returns regularly to visit family, I am interested to hear your opinions on the seemingly unsustainable explosive growth of the city and the potential outcomes on the fabric of that particular community (what part of Nashville are you in?).

Hey Nicole, first saw you perform pre Neptune City, opening at a Mike Doughty show in Troy, NY. You captivated the entire room, and as great a performer as Mike is, you stole the night. I have enjoyed your albums, but GRL really hits a nerve and I want to thank you for giving that to the world. I guess I would ask where you go next, it feels like GRL was a super personal statement, but one that resonated with others because it is relatable. As an artist how do you decide whether to continue down that path or pivot to something new?

Your first album was relesead ten years before Rhonda Lee, and it's impressive how different they sound, it's almost like two different girls. Was there any difference in your mood and the process of writing the songs of Rhonda Lee and those old songs like, for instance, "Brooklyn's on fire"? (I choose that song because it's SO different from Rhonda Lee, but you can take any other song)

Hey Nicole! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit with us!

My question is around “a little crazy”, currently on repeat with the rest of your album in my house. When writing such vulnerable and honest songs like that, has there ever been subjects that were off the table when writing? Things that are just too personal?

First off thanks for joining us here on the forum!!
Goodnight Rhonda Lee, is such an intimate retelling of various factors/moments, that seemed to shape your direction/future as they happened. I believe every one of us has 'LISTEN UP' type moments, and what we do with them is the true test of life. So thank you for sharing your story!

Based on your release pattern is it safe to assume you will be coming with another masterpiece in 2020?
I'm curious as to what the new direction will be. Will the next project be a totally new sound with new ideas, a continuation of this sound and personal storytelling style with a new concept, or is that something we will just have to wait and find out?

Last edited:
Back