Nick Cave

BoilerRhapsody

Today being the day his latest album, Ghosteen releases I realised we don't have a dedicated thread here.

Thoughts on the album?

Thoughts on Nick Cave in general?

The Red Hand Files:

Last edited:
Best concert I've ever been to. Saw him last year, so powerful.

I saw him in January at one of his Conversations shows. It was amazing and among the best I've seen too, but missing a lot of that power that everyone talks about.
Can't wait to see a full show with The Bad Seeds. The Live in Copenhagen videos they have been posting are great.

I've been enjoying his music more and more over the years.
He's very charismatic on stage and the Bad Seeds are an incredible band. The show feels like a communion, I teared up on Into my arms...

First listen impressions of the album:

Rather one note in tone and instrumentation. Haven't been able to exactly dive into the lyrics of course.

I think it is beautiful and as always his voice is moving. However, I don't know if I'll feel compelled to return to it much. I'm a lot more drawn to rocking Nick Cave. I enjoy albums that have a balance between the rocking and sparser ballads as well, but this one certainly doesn't fall into that category. The one part where it seems to pick up in the middle of Ghosteen made me feel like maybe I would find more of that balance on Part 2 but it came back down pretty quick.

I'm not really in the headspace to hang onto his every word, which I'm sure doesn't help, but the instrumentation and vibe aren't really something I gravitate towards for a solid hour and ten minutes anyway.

Last edited:
Hmm, I guess Skeleton Tree, which I really like, doesn't have much rocking either, but I dig the instrumentation more and it seemed like there was more variety in the song structure and vocal delivery. Jumping around on some songs on that one and feeling it's similar tone throughout makes me feel like I should give the new one another chance though, because it is more similar in some ways than I remembered. I find the doom and grit that seems present on the Skeleton Tree more compelling. I didn't get much of that on Ghosteen. I guess that dark tone is there in the last song, but I'm left wanting more from the instrumentation. A lot of the rest of it seems much more peaceful, if somewhat brooding.

It does make me feel like he is in a better place than he was making Skeleton Tree, which I hope is true.

First listen impressions of the album:

Rather one note in tone and instrumentation. Haven't been able to exactly dive into the lyrics of course.

I think it is beautiful and as always his voice is moving. However, I don't know if I'll feel compelled to return to it much. I'm a lot more drawn to rocking Nick Cave. I enjoy albums that have a balance between the rocking and sparser ballads as well, but this one certainly doesn't fall into that category. The one part where it seems to pick up in the middle of Ghosteen made me feel like maybe I would find more of that balance on Part 2 but it came back down pretty quick.

I'm not really in the headspace to hang onto his every word, which I'm sure doesn't help, but the instrumentation and vibe aren't really something I gravitate towards for a solid hour and ten minutes anyway.

Very fair, and I was pretty much in agreement after my first listen.

I haven't made up my mind as to comparing part 1 and part 2 in detail, particularly in deciphering what he means by part 1 being the child of part 2. I definitely prefer part 2 though, it feels more repeatable but then it would be strange to listen to it by itself as it seems quite conclusive.

I don't mind the length, despite how one dimensional that ambient aspect of part one is it doesn't drag out for me, yet.

As for the lyrical writing, if you've been reading The Red Hand Files or been to a Conversations show you've probably heard him mention the poetry anthology Technicians of the Sacred, which started to heavily influence his writing around the Push the Sky Away era (I think, maybe earlier).
It's a collection of 'primitive' (for lack of a better word) oral, written and ritualistic traditions from all around the world, presented as and therefore linking to what we think of now as modern poetry. Nick seems obsessed with this book, and reading through only a chunk of it I've definitely picked up bits in his last three albums, and particularly Ghosteen feels like it feeds from it. In the last few years I think he studies it, then half ad libs lyrics, then reworks then in studio.
If you're dedicated to interpreting Ghosteen I would recommend tracking down this book and reading it closely, I'm sure it will offer a lot of insight. It shares the very blunt naturality of part one of the album.

It does make me feel like he is in a better place than he was making Skeleton Tree, which I hope is true.

Absolutely, Skeleton Tree was made in a very turbulent time, I still wonder why and how he managed to finish it. He's been dealing with things very publicly, and successfully (it seems), for three years now. I'm glad this album is like a calm, content or even optimistic counterpart.

Best concert I've ever been to. Saw him last year, so powerful.
I saw him in January at one of his Conversations shows. It was amazing and among the best I've seen too, but missing a lot of that power that everyone talks about.
Can't wait to see a full show with The Bad Seeds. The Live in Copenhagen videos they have been posting are great.

Every single human being should be lucky enough to experience Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds live. It's a religious experience.

My last NC&TBS show was a couple years ago. Here's a track from my recording of that night.

Now if only he'd fire Grinderman back up...

Every single human being should be lucky enough to experience Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds live. It's a religious experience.

My last NC&TBS show was a couple years ago. Here's a track from my recording of that night.

Now if only he'd fire Grinderman back up...

Grinderman was one of the best live shows I've ever seen. I hope he brings them back at some point... By far his finest work IMO.

Grinderman was one of the best live shows I've ever seen. I hope he brings them back at some point... By far his finest work IMO.
I think he's said they'll be doing a third album.

I don't think he actually confirmed a third album, it was more like a half joke because IIRC he said something like they'd reform if Trump is re-elected so that they could play No Pussy Blues at the inauguration.

He did sound genuinely interested in continuing it, but also said the older he and Warren get, the better it would be, so I don't think they're in a rush.

Seeing him tonight, curious as to what may be available to purchase.
Crud, I saw that Revolution Hall show after I bought Kishi Bashi tix for this same night. Let me know how it is!

Sites seem to say the album will be physically released in November, so who knows what’s going to be at the merch table.

Crud, I saw that Revolution Hall show after I bought Kishi Bashi tix for this same night. Let me know how it is!

Sites seem to say the album will be physically released in November, so who knows what’s going to be at the merch table.
Nick Cave, Kishi Bashi, Paul Cauthen, Damien Jurado, Tank & The Bangas were all tonight. Town is hoppin'! Luckily saw Kishi at the Old Church earlier this year, and Paul Cauthen for a couple sets at Pickathon last year.

Lot's of good shows in Portland soon. Ride and Hiss Golden Messenger tomorrow! Ride is doing an in-store at Music Milennium at 5pm tomorrow.

Last edited:
Nick Cave, Kishi Bashi and Paul Cauthen were all tonight. Town is hoppin'! Luckily saw Kishi at the Old Church earlier this year, and Paul Cauthen for a couple sets at Pickathon last year.

Lot's of good shows in Portland soon. Ride and Hiss Golden Messenger tomorrow! Ride is doing an in-store at Music Milennium at 5pm tomorrow.

No offense to anyone else, but Nick Cave in concert upstages any other event happening at the same time on the face of the earth.

Back