NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

I want a numbers wonk to tell me what the average odds are of scoring when you pull the goalie for the +1 vs. the odds of being scored on with a goalie pulled. I know it’s traditional strategy, and virtually everyone rolls the dice but I wanna know what the actual odds are.

I want a numbers wonk to tell me what the average odds are of scoring when you pull the goalie for the +1 vs. the odds of being scored on with a goalie pulled. I know it’s traditional strategy, and virtually everyone rolls the dice but I wanna know what the actual odds are.

success_time-2.png

Actually it does, thanks! If you read through far enough it gives you a success rate, which is close enough. Around 15% success rate for 1 goal deficit.
Perfect! You're right that the success rate is more important than the actual chances of scoring versus allowing a goal with an empty net, but I also found this, regarding the original AC Thomas research:

"In the data being considered, a goaltender was pulled in 64% of games played. In 34% of those game a goal was scored with one net empty, and of those goals 30% were scored by the team that pulled their goaltender."

The Preds decided to show up for the first period today. They are a pretty hockey team when they don't let the other team camp in front of their net.

Back