Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 4 - October 2019 /// Camarón de la isla - La leyenda del tiempo

This isn’t a guess but in the course of research I read this wiki page and HOLY SHIT! This album pissed off the Nigerian government so much they killed the artist’s mom!! That’s fucked up!!!

If you mean you weren't familiar with Fela Kuti, l highly recommend exploring his discography.

This isn’t a guess but in the course of research I read this wiki page and HOLY SHIT! This album pissed off the Nigerian government so much they killed the artist’s mom!! That’s fucked up!!!

Wow, that article is crazy! These two paragraphs are full of some wild stuff, government killing his mom over a song, him marrying 27 women to mark the anniversary, deciding to use a rotation system to only have 12 wives at a time, just wild haha

The album was a scathing attack on Nigerian soldiers using the zombie metaphor to describe the methods of the Nigerian military. The album was a smash hit with the people and infuriated the government, setting off a vicious attack against the Kalakuta Republic (a commune that Fela had established in Nigeria), during which one thousand soldiers attacked the commune. Kuti was severely beaten, and his elderly mother was thrown from a window, causing fatal injuries. The Kalakuta Republic was burned, and Kuti's studio, instruments, and master tapes were destroyed. Kuti claimed that he would have been killed if it were not for the intervention of a commanding officer as he was being beaten. Kuti's response to the attack was to deliver his mother's coffin to the main army barrack in Lagos and write two songs, "Coffin for Head of State" and "Unknown Soldier", referencing the official inquiry that claimed the commune had been destroyed by an unknown soldier.

Kuti and his band then took residence in Crossroads Hotel as the Shrine had been destroyed along with his commune. In 1978 Kuti married 27 women, many of whom were his dancers, composers, and singers to mark the anniversary of the attack on the Kalakuta Republic. Later, he was to adopt a rotation system of keeping only twelve simultaneous wives.[6] The year was also marked by two notorious concerts, the first in Accra in which riots broke out during the song "Zombie," which led to Kuti being banned from entering Ghana. The second was at the Berlin Jazz Festival after which most of Kuti's musicians deserted him, due to rumors that Kuti was planning to use the entirety of the proceeds to fund his presidential campaign.

Wow, that article is crazy! These two paragraphs are full of some wild stuff, government killing his mom over a song, him marrying 27 women to mark the anniversary, deciding to use a rotation system to only have 12 wives at a time, just wild haha

The story behind the song "Expensive Shit" is worth looking into as well.

Yeah I don’t know anything about world music. I hadn’t heard of Tropicalia or Afrobeat until this month! So as far as I’m concerned, this has been another successful ROTM already because I’m learning so much new stuff!

IMO, it's the best part of these threads and the best part of having a different picker every month.

I still think is Elis Regina, maybe her album with Tom Jobim. The problem is is doesn't seem to be widely available .

EDIT: Probably not it, prices on Discogs are way out of the 30 dollar ballpark

How about this one? The title would fit the Poets House clue.

She has a live at Montreux album as well. This is not on Philips as far as I can tell though, but some of her others were. She is not alive. Fits the release date and genre clues. And the hint that someone was close to identifying it (i.e. you!).

1568209250387.png

And Amazon.ca has it at a reasonable price:

Yeez, this feels like a funeral...
I'll tell you something to cheer you up: You were in the right path, you just didn't manage to put the right album on that list. One of you got awfully close.

Oh ok, so it's not Let's Get It On, one of your favorite Marvin albums.....it's gotta be:

Marvin Gaye - Midnight Love

As far as fitting the clues, ehhh. He's dead. He performed at the Montreaux fest in 1980 which u specifically pointed out. When PSV won the league they probly were 'Rockin After Midnight' 'Til Tomorrow'and were full of 'Joy'..... Released on Columbia Records, which explains the New York location.

Last edited:

She has a live at Montreux album as well. This is not on Philips as far as I can tell though, but some of her others were. She is not alive. Fits the release date and genre clues. And the hint that someone was close to identifying it (i.e. you!).

View attachment 16789

Almost guessed that last night but it's noticed on Philips as well! Most of her stuff after that is though... :unsure: could we be wrong about that clue?

Oh ok, so it's not Let's Get It On, one of your favorite Marvin albums.....it's gotta be:

Marvin Gaye - Midnight Love

As far as fitting the clues, ehhh. He's dead. He performed at the Montreaux fest in 1980 which u specifically pointed out. When PSV won the league they probly were 'Rockin After Midnight' 'Til Tomorrow'and were full of 'Joy'..... Released on Columbia Records, which explains the New York location.
World Music?

Yeah, this artist is dead clue is pretty big. All the major players from the Tropicalia scene/era are still alive (Gil, Veloso, Ben, Ze, Costa, all the Os Mutantes). Pretty much all the other prominent Brazilian artists from the era (Buaraque, Erasmo Carlos, Roberto Carlos, Toquinho, Marcos Valle, Arthur Verocai) are still alive as well. Seixas doesn't seem to have available reissues.

This tells me two things: 1. Brazilians are healthy-ass people apparently. 2. It's not looking like a Brazilian artist, at least from that era.
I hesitated about answering the dead or alive question, since I wanted to keep some of those artist in the race, in order to have an Angel Olsen vs Nicole Atkins situation at the end. I figured it would be better if I gave you some info to help you narrow it down, hoping that a similar 1vs1 situation will emerge in the days leading up to the announcement.

View attachment 16789

I saw that one but could not make it fit with the Philips clue (if we're right about that). Also the most recent reissue is from Waxtime, isn't that one of those gray area labels?

Back