Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 29 - November 2021 /// GOAT - Requiem

AC Slaughter

Announcement: GOAT - Requiem

After availability issues on a few albums I landed on the most recent studio offering from our favorite Swedish psych rock pals GOAT. For those that are unaware GOAT is a mysterious music collective from Korpilombolo, Sweden. Legend has it that this town has a history of voodoo worship after a witch doctor arrived and lived there hundreds of years ago. When Crusaders came and destroyed the village the surviving people fled and placed a curse on the town. GOAT is a local community tradition that has had many incarnations and have recorded music for over 30 years, or so we are told. The identities of the members are entirely shrouded in secrecy.

I revisit this album often. There is a lot going on here and it is as dense as their previous records but as this is billed as their "folk album" it shows them venturing into various acoustic instruments and not relying on standard guitar fuzz fare that we are used to hearing from them, but none of this stops them from grooving from start to finish.

It is tough to not get pumped when the light and airy Djorolen drops suddenly into a rowdy drum break and dadgum pan flute! That and the solo that sounds like a sax or a guitar or whatever it actually is always gets me ready to jam and sets the tone for the entire album. GOAT are all about driving circular rhythms as shown on the aptly named Temple Rhythms. There are so many songs on here that just allow you to ride along and enjoy the groove they are setting for you.

I also love how this is an album that I can play with my two little girls and give them an intro into psych rock without scaring them off and it is also one that you can just sit and enjoy alone with your preferred substance, or lack thereof, and listen to as loud as possible.

I hope you those of you who haven’t heard of them take them in and enjoy the wonder and mystery that is GOAT.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So I am going to steal @MadLucas bit for this first one. Unfortunately this album is NOT Selena's last concert from the Astrodome because it is out of print:cry:. So the HINT is that like this Selena album not all of the lyrics on our album on the month are in English.

View attachment 113690

My immediate initial response to a bilingual album, for some reason, is either Sigur Ros or Stereolab, but I will hold off officially guessing for now.

ok, so it's a multilingual psychedelic group with 5 or more members....

CAN - TAGO MAGO

Can_-_Tago_Mago.jpg

also stereolab is interesting in how.. obtuse and complicated it is

but its a 3LP and there is about 50 bucks for someone who is unsure if i like the act or not so its a skip

Maybe not the most adventurous pick but Arcade Fire is a total possibility. The band has like 500 members and each of their albums include atleast one french song.

My guess would be Neon Bible, super overlooked album by a legendary indie band

Edit: not sure how the trippy pic fits into that but also not sure what to get out of that pic in general

Back