Needles & Grooves AOTM /// Vol. 20 - February 2021 /// Birds of Chicago - Love in Wartime

I think I had the wrong hen house studios guys:

Birds of Chicago - Love in Wartime
Includes the tracks: Intro:Now/Sunlight, Try, Baton Rouge, Derecho.

Released in 2018. Recorded at Electrical Audio (Albini), Engineered at The Henhouse (nashville).

JT Nero (half of the duo) has a solo project called mountains/forests.

Maybe the Ryman is just for Nashville, where apparently they moved to in 2017 from Chicago.

Not sure how it fits the maple, @Joe Mac, or Scrapper Blackwell clues.

Last edited:
Includes the tracks: Intro:Now/Sunlight, Baton Rouge, Derecho.

Released in 2018. Recorded at Electrical Audio (Albini), Engineered at The Henhouse (nashville).

JT Nero (half of the duo) has a solo project called mountains/forests.

Maybe the Ryman is just for Nashville, where apparently they moved to in 2017 from Chicago.
I think this looks like the frontrunner. Other clues I can fit is Allison Russell being in Our Native Daughters and thus (I assume) a voice @Joe Mac likes, their first ever tour was opening for Sean Hayes, Try is a song on this album (Yoda), could maple leaf be that Russell is from Canada? Can't really get the blues/Scrapper Blackwell clue to fit. Also didn't realise that Allison Russell was in Po' Girl - I enjoyed their first record back in the day and then didn't listen to them any more. Anyway, just listened to Birds of Chicago and dug it.

Last edited:
I think this looks like the frontrunner. Other clues I can fit is Allison Russell being in Our Native Daughters and thus (I assume) a voice @Joe Mac likes, their first ever tour was opening for Sean Hayes, could maple leaf be that Russell is from Canada? Can't really get the blues/Scrapper Blackwell or Yoda/Star Wars clues to fit. Also didn't realise that Allison Russell was in Po' Girl - I enjoyed their first record back in the day and then didn't listen to them any more. Anyway, just listened to Birds of Chicago and dug it.

I like Our Native Daughters but the only voice I know recognisably is Rhiannon Giddens, I couldn’t say I could pick out who was who from the others. So I suppose I could say I like the voice because I like the album but, if you know what I mean lol.

I think this looks like the frontrunner. Other clues I can fit is Allison Russell being in Our Native Daughters and thus (I assume) a voice @Joe Mac likes, their first ever tour was opening for Sean Hayes, could maple leaf be that Russell is from Canada? Can't really get the blues/Scrapper Blackwell or Yoda/Star Wars clues to fit. Also didn't realise that Allison Russell was in Po' Girl - I enjoyed their first record back in the day and then didn't listen to them any more. Anyway, just listened to Birds of Chicago and dug it.
I edited my post because I think Yoda could fit the track Try.

Back