Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 11 - May 2020 /// Kendra Morris - Mockingbird

AndySlash

"BARF!"
Admin
Alright, a little bit delayed, but I'm your host for Needles & Grooves' May 2020 album of the month and there's nothing you can do about it. HAHA!

I'm real excited to bring to you an album I hope most if not all of you will find enjoyable, and my goal is bring some community engagement with the record and album artist over the next few weeks. That said, Covid may impact some of the plans/ideas I'm hoping to follow through on and the ability of the artist to participate, so we'll just have to see how it goes. Obviously we're in uncharted territory here, so I make no promises.

I do want to announce that during the guessing portion of this AOTM cycle, that every member that makes a guess will be entered into a drawing to win a copy of the AOTM, which will (hopefully) be shipped out on announcement day, so that member can get to spinning the record as soon as possible. Community members can guess as many times as they'd like, but each member that guesses will only get one entry into the drawing. Album announcement will be on or around the 25th of April.

GsNz99g.gif

Without further ado, the May 2020 Needles & Grooves Album of the Month is:

KENDRA MORRIS - MOCKINGBIRD

51DZyuXlN9L.jpg

Wax Poetics Records ‎– WPR028
Released: 2013

Purchase a vinyl copy of the record DIRECT FROM KENDRA for $25 plus shipping at

If you are considering purchasing the record (and I really hope you do), please note that Kendra Morris sells copies of this album and her other music/merch directly through her website. She will be mailing out the records herself. As she is in New York City, which as most everyone knows is currently one of the biggest hotbeds of covid and is in lockdown, she may not be able to ship orders as quickly as she would like.

To that end, she is offering to provide a free digital copy (320kbps mp3) of the album via a download link to you. In order to receive the download, pleasy copy your basic order information (like order # and time/date via email text/screenshot) and your email address and send to my PM inbox and I will share the link with you in a reply. This method will be quicker in getting the actual music to you than Kendra having to make time in her schedule to respond to everyone who orders.

Of course, you are free to purchase wherever you would like. It seems this can be had at most of the usual online shops for roughly similar prices. But I sure would love it if you purchased it from Kendra herself. She'll even sign the record if you'd like.

WHY I PICKED THIS RECORD

Kendra Morris' music blends genres - soul, rock, psychedelic, funk, and more - with a sound that is both retro and modern. My main goal here is to simply introduce her music to our community, one that I know would appreciate this type of sound, and then let you explore her catalog if you liked what you heard. I felt that by choosing 'Mockingbird', a full-on covers album, I'd give Needles & Grooves members a relatively accessible entry point into her overall sound and vocal talents as she interprets songs we all know and love. On top of that, I feel Kendra Morris is low-key one of the most hard working artists I follow, with her creative endeavors extending beyond just the music she produces.

When you listen to 'Mockingbird', I'd encourage you to do so on good headphones so you can hear her many vocal harmonies that aren't necessarily evident on computer speakers through Spotify/YouTube/etc. Afterward, explore her other music, from her debut 'Banshee', also on Wax Poetics, to her self-released Babble. She has numerous singles on Bandcamp and Soundcloud. There is a lot of Kendra Morris music out there, and hopefully your journey in discovering it all starts right now.

KENDRA MORRIS INFORMATION

Insta: KENDRA MORRIS (@kendramorris) • Instagram photos and videos
Twitter: KendraMorris (@KendraMorris) | Twitter
YouTube: Kendra Morris
Bandcamp: Ride On, by Kendra Morris
Soundcloud:
Facebook: Kendra Morris

Q: It takes some guts to release an album of all covers, especially songs that are so ubiquitous, as well as making a covers album your sophomore full-length record. Can you share with us your thoughts about the decision making process that went into 'Mockingbird' as far as determining that this was the direction you wanted to go after releasing your first record 'Banshee' and any pushback and/or reservations you might have had toward taking this chance?

Kendra: My writing partner/ producer Jeremy Page and I had been doing our own takes on various songs for a minute and when we started to share them with friends and my label Wax Poetics at the time there was a great response.. So much so that the guys at the label asked if we'd want to release an entire record of covers. Banshee was starting to pick up some traction and we just wanted to keep with the momentum so it made sense to follow up with the covers right away. I love doing covers because I feel like it's a great way to take a song that inspired you to begin with and then make it all your own.. We both listen to a lot of different music and are constantly noting songs that inspire us. I also used to go to this great little dive in the Lower East Side in New York every Sunday night for karaoke and I'd constantly be reminded of all the great songs out there and how much fun they are to sing so sometimes I'd carry a little notebook and when a song I enjoyed and forgot about popped up I'd put it on my list and Jeremy and I would sometimes challenge ourselves to rework something on the list.

Q: Some of the songs on the record, like Space Oddity and Wicked Game do not stray too far from the originals in terms of their structure - they are almost immediately recognizable within the first few bars - while others like I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) and Ride The Lightning are fairly radical reworks that are largely recognizable from the lyrics only. Can you describe for us some of the creative processes and inspiration that went into recording your own versions of these songs?

Kendra: Songs like Space Oddity and Wicked Game have specific inflections with the instrumentation or parts that we felt were important to keep consistent with the cover that make the song so special in the first place.. For example, with Wicked Gamed the way the guitar rings out in the first few seconds or its dreamy laid back tempo.. Sped up or without those notes I feel like the song would depart from the ways that make the song so much 'the song'.. Whereas a song like Ride The Lightning, us both being Metallica fans and knowing how incredible that song is lyrically and with its chord structure, we wanted to go with a challenge of reworking it to a tempo that could translate to a vibe we both loved to play, and that both fans of Metallica and someone who has never listened to a Metallica could get a kick out of.

Q: Could you give us some brief explanations of why you chose to record and include each of the tracks on 'Mockingbird'? [Click on the song title links to listen/watch on YouTube]

Space Oddity: One of my favorite Bowie songs, plus it's a story song and I love those!!!

As Long As I've Got You: We both listen to a lot of classic hip hop and wanted to return to some songs we love with great samples so we immediately went for Wu Tang's C.R.E.A.M. which uses 'As Long As I've Got You' by The Charmells.

Miss You: One of my favorite Stones tunes!!!! I have always liked the sort of disco groove it has.

Walk On By: For Walk On By, we again wanted to mash up a few of our favorite versions of this song with both Dionne Warwick's original version and the Isaac Hayes version.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond: Jeremy originally suggested this one and we both had individually been in Pink Floyd rabbit holes at the time. He actually did a remix with another older song of ours to Great Gig In The Sky I believe! It was so long ago.. I don't even know if we ever released it... now I gotta go track it down!!!

Wicked Game: I have always loved this song.. I think this was even one of those that I heard at karaoke one night and was like.. oh yeah!!! I love this song!

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles): My friend Godforbid who is on this duet with me and I both always thought this was a cool tune and he loves flipping songs into completely new versions as well so me, him and Jeremy Page, my producer, collectively reworked it into this dark, Ennio Morricone inspired version. I especially loved doing the opera voices in the very beginning that Jeremy mixed in with the instrumentation. We actually recently did our own dark take on the Huey Lewis track 'I Want a New Drug' as a duet.. It came out last summer on streaming sites..

Karma Police: I love Radiohead and so many of their songs are great. Thom Yorke always writes killer melodies. I was itching to do a Radiohead cover.. it actually wasn't easy to decide which one to do!

Ride The Lightning: Metallica!!! We were both excited to tackle an epic song such as Ride The Lighting. I talked a little about it in the previous question.. we both like metal and thought it'd be fun to put our own spin on this.. we actually covered Pantera's 'This Love' for a show a few years back.. that'd be fun to record at some point.

Cry Me A River: I heard this Bettye Lavette song for the first time in a cafe on a vacation years ago and was blown away by what a great song it was.. I couldn't concentrate until I tracked it down again and then eventually got to try my own take.

Black Hole Sun: I love Chris Cornell's voice and this song has haunted me forever.. maybe also because some kids at summer camp in junior high used to tell me I looked like jumprope girl from the video! hahaha.. I love the lyrics and also really wanted to get crazy with the vocals in the end.

Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder): Jeremy Page and I are both huge Beach Boys and especially Brian Wilson fans and Pet Sounds is one of my favorite albums of all time. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many times I've listened to that album on repeat .. still not sick of it. I love the way Brian Wilson arranges vocals layer upon layer and we both were excited to tackle this beautiful track and use it as an album closer. I really loved adding the little vocal loop at the end.

Q: Did you record any additional songs that didn't make the cut?

Kendra: Yes! We recorded Rolling Stones 'Mothers Little Helper' and we did a digital release of 'No Love' by Johnny Mathis that had been sampled by Gravediggaz on 'Diary Of A Madman'..

Q: Are there any fun/humorous/interesting stories from the recording sessions that you can recall that you can share with us?

Kendra: Probably doing the video for 'Miss You' was one of my favorite funny memories.. we cast a bunch of old ladies and I got all grannied out too and basically we had all the ladies get wild at a bar in Bay Ridge and also did a choreographed dance sequence with them.. They were super spunky and hilarious. The wildest one was 97!!!!! I'm not surprised :)

Q: Have you ever received any feedback from the artists you honored by covering them on 'Mockingbird'?

Kendra: Ride The Lightning was written about on the blog MetalSucks when it was just out on soundcloud as a free download stream, and at one point so many people were passing it around that we got a cease and desist letter from Metallica's lawyer. We worked it out, garnered the rights for it so it could properly be released on the album, but I kept thinking it was kinda cool because the guys in Metallica most likely had a listen to the song!

Also the Shine On You Crazy Diamond cover was chosen for the theatrical trailer for the film Dead Man Down starring Colin Farrell and Noomi Rapace, and in order for the film to be able to use it they had to run it by Roger Waters and get the final OK, and apparently he doesn't say yes to many covers so I guess he must've heard our cover and liked it! So that's pretty cool!

Q: And this last question is largely one I'm selfishly asking - I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, and so Shine On You Crazy Diamond is a personal highlight of the record. Props to your guitarist Jeremy Page for getting those sweet David Gilmour licks down. But I find the intro to the song, with your wordless vocals, a nod to another Floyd classic The Great Gig In The Sky. Was this a conscious choice to kind of blend these tracks, or did it just kind of happen that way?

Kendra: Yes! I remember my dad and I sitting in his car one night and listening to Great Gig In The Sky and how amazing the woman's vocals were. I remember when we started to lay out Shine On You Crazy Diamond I went back in my head to how powerful her voice was and the added energy she brought to that song, so I remember thinking how much I love Shine On You Crazy Diamond and wanting to bring a special touch from my end for it as a sort of ode..

Clues/Explanations (spoilered for space reasons)

clue #1: it's not beck

clue #2: it's not paula abdul

-------------

clue #3: Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
CunbwL0.gif

clue #4: Ride The Lightning
V4S961U.jpg

clue #5: Walk On By
click here, image won't embed for some reason

clue #6: Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Q3sNP08.jpg

clue #7: Black Hole Sun
fYg6FPb.jpg

clue #8: Walk On The Wild Side
EG6rHbn.gif

clue #9: Wicked Game
C8qKPzC.jpg

clue #10: Cry Me A River (you were on to something there, @Murfocakes...)
stand-gif.41148

clue #11: As Long As I've Got You
911-gif.41247

clue #12: Karma Police
drL0DOy.gif

clue #13: Miss You
you-gif.41573

clue #14: I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) (@TCell knew what's up)

clue #15: Space Oddity (@Mr Moore recognized the reference...)
guitar-jpg.42051

-------------

clue #16: This copy of 'The Talented Mr. Ripley' is on the table on the album cover.
highsmith-jpg.42270

clue #17: Mockingbird is a covers album

clue #18: The album is on Wax Poetic Records
genre-jpg.42545

clue #19: it's not the pharcyde (or bloc party), and it's not hip-hop, though the artist has recently worked with some hip-hop artists that some of you might know. (Czarface)

clue #20: The album is called 'Mockingbird'. Listen to that.
tokill-gif.42855

Guesses

[Remember, ANY N&G member that makes a guess will be entered into a random draw to receive a free copy of the May AotM. You can make multiple guesses, but you will only receive one entry.]

@ByersVinyl: Siouxsie and the Banshees - Superstition, Crash Test Dummies - The Ghosts That Haunt Me, B*Witched - B*Witched, Dogs Die In Hot Cars - Please Describe Yourself, Bjork - Post

@Skalap: Steve Miller Band ‎– The Joker, The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde, Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

@Souljacker: Bauhaus - Gotham

@gaporter: John Zorn - Naked City, The Refreshments - Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy

@Lee Newman: Demi Lovato - Here We Go Again

@supahypeag: Seal - s/t, Alessia Cara: Know it All

Last edited:
Guesses [continued]

@Turbo - R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant, Juliana Hatfield - Juliana Hatfield Sings The Police

@cul8er: Hand Habits - Placeholder

@bfly: Mike Gordon - OGOGO

@Joe Mac: Slash’s Snakepit - It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere, Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News

@ranbalam: The Mothers of Invention - Freak Out!

@MikeH: Red House Painters - Red House Painters I

@Yer Ol' Uncle D: Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - Rock N Roll With The Modern Lovers, Pere Ubu - Cloudland

@TenderLovingKiller®: Ohio Players - Honey, Puddle of Mudd - Come Clean, Rihanna - Good Girl Gone Bad RELOADED, Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space, Hum - You'd Prefer An Astronaut

@LeSamourai: Blur - Parklife

@panino: Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual, Primus - Pork Soda

@TCell: Ice Cube - Lethal Injection, The Proclaimers - Sunshine On Leith

@Djxfactor511: Hootie & the Blowfish - Looking For Lucky

@Mr Moore: Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese, Drive-By Truckers - Decoration Day, Swervedriver - Winter Depths

@debianlinux: Alice In Chains - Alice In Chains, Candlebox - Candlebox

@MadLucas: Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?

@RowBearToe: D'Angelo - Brown Sugar

@marshall: Geto Boys - Uncut Dope

@jaycee: Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix

@juiceless: The Human League - Octopus

@manonkouch: Pearl Jam - Vitalogy

@Murfocakes: Dinosaur Jr. - Without a Sound, Arctic Monkeys - Humbug, Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love

@Teeeee: The Descendants soundtrack, pickles

@blissfullychaotic: Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted

@Waitressboy: Melanie Martinez - K-12

@Rip_City: Bowery Electric ‎– Lushlife

@bdm105: Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere In The Between

@wmeugene: Oasis - Be Here Now

@Rahawk2: Chuck Berry - Motorvatin'

@dirty hands: Bulworth Soundtrack

@Tyr: MF DOOM - Vaudeville Villains

@Djjza: Peter, Paul, & Mary - Moving

@Sonicpharmacist: Swervedriver - Raise

@Fillip J Phry: Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires in the City

@Poly-Rythmo: Cure - Disintegration

@dhodo: Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

Last edited:
Hand Habits ‎– Placeholder

*Initially meant as a joke, but after listening to it, it's really good!

EDIT: And now I realize it was an exclusive of another club. Sorry, I will hang my head in shame now. 😔

This album is amazing, it's so good I often forget it came from the "club that shall not be named".

Back