Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 0 - June 2019 /// MARK DE CLIVE-LOWE - Heritage Vol.1

Very nice <3 Mark de Clive-Lowe remix

The Nubya Garcia remix was my introduction to Mark de Clive-Lowe before I joined this community. I'm glad I was able to get her remix EP last RSD and now finally have Mark represented in my stacks!

I've officially begun my deep dive into the past N&G AotMs and am on my third stream of Heritage since late last night and have checked with my local to see if it's something they can bring in so I can hopefully pick up a copy through them when I get my next employment sorted out. It's a fantastic album. I'm excited to dig in to Heritage II at some point but imagine I'll be listening to this one a few more times first. Great pick @Skalap

Also, I just want to say how cool it is that you picked an album about heritage to kick things off around here, as the pick also represents just that for Needles & Grooves itself at this point. As a newer member, it's been a real trip and a treat to go back and read this thread. Seeing the familiar and some unfamiliar faces and watching this forum find its footing in its earliest days has been enlightening and inspiring. I've already loved this place since showing up and the journey through this thread has only strengthened that. Y'all are a lovely, lively bunch of weirdos and I couldn't think of any other corner of the internet I'd rather be spending time!

The Nubya Garcia remix was my introduction to Mark de Clive-Lowe before I joined this community. I'm glad I was able to get her remix EP last RSD and now finally have Mark represented in my stacks!

I've officially begun my deep dive into the past N&G AotMs and am on my third stream of Heritage since late last night and have checked with my local to see if it's something they can bring in so I can hopefully pick up a copy through them when I get my next employment sorted out. It's a fantastic album. I'm excited to dig in to Heritage II at some point but imagine I'll be listening to this one a few more times first. Great pick @Skalap

Also, I just want to say how cool it is that you picked an album about heritage to kick things off around here, as the pick also represents just that for Needles & Grooves itself at this point. As a newer member, it's been a real trip and a treat to go back and read this thread. Seeing the familiar and some unfamiliar faces and watching this forum find its footing in its earliest days has been enlightening and inspiring. I've already loved this place since showing up and the journey through this thread has only strengthened that. Y'all are a lovely, lively bunch of weirdos and I couldn't think of any other corner of the internet I'd rather be spending time!

Thank you for your kind words and I am glad you like this album. Heritage II is not very different, you have the same vibe but there is a bit more of electronica. Both are great and work well together.

What I am even more glad is that you enjoy the time you spend on this forum. There are great and lovely people and threads for everyone. I learnt and discovered a lot of music thanks to the N&G AoTM serie. I learnt and discovered a lot of music thanks to the people here. I hope you'll enjoy the journey as much as I do.

i dont get in here often enough, but really happy to hear the music is resonating with you like that! the nubya remix is a special one and that RSD drop was great to see happen :)

Heritage was originally intended as one long album but reflecting on it after it was finished and before it was released, it felt like it wanted to be broken up into two chapters. a yin and a yang, a day and a night, so to speak. definitely all part of the same story tho.

you might enjoy this too - a recent extended audio-visual offering i've put together as an NFT. it's a meditation zone out vibe and you can watch it (for free) full screen here: Motherland | Zora

enjoy!

btw - i was on a brainstorm call this morning about a new digital community project someone is looking at creating and among a few examples, i sent them to this forum as an example of how a very lo-fi interface can create such a powerful community. kudos to you all!

i dont get in here often enough, but really happy to hear the music is resonating with you like that! the nubya remix is a special one and that RSD drop was great to see happen :)

Heritage was originally intended as one long album but reflecting on it after it was finished and before it was released, it felt like it wanted to be broken up into two chapters. a yin and a yang, a day and a night, so to speak. definitely all part of the same story tho.

you might enjoy this too - a recent extended audio-visual offering i've put together as an NFT. it's a meditation zone out vibe and you can watch it (for free) full screen here: Motherland | Zora

enjoy!

btw - i was on a brainstorm call this morning about a new digital community project someone is looking at creating and among a few examples, i sent them to this forum as an example of how a very lo-fi interface can create such a powerful community. kudos to you all!

As a follow-up to this last post :

“Happy New Year Bandcamp friends!

Today I'm sharing the Motherland project with you - an audio-visual film that I released last year as an NFT collection. Now, for the very first time, the audio is being made available. It's a super chill, meditative, stripped down set of interpretations of some of my material from the Heritage and Dreamweavers albums in homage to my motherland, Japan ✨

Wishing you a healthy and prosperous 2022!

明けましておめでとうございます!

Mark”

Listening right now and another beautiful work @Mark de Clive-Lowe

Mark de Clive-Lowe new album with Shigeto & Melanie Charles is out today.

Revered composer, pianist, DJ and two decade-long bridge between jazz, dance and hip-hop, Mark de Clive-Lowe (MdCL), links up with influential drummer/producer/DJ, Shigeto and Brooklyn-based, Haitian-rooted, flautist/songwriter and Verve Records artist - Melanie Charles on Hotel San Claudio, a collaborative LP of spiritual jazz, live deconstructed beats, and a three-track set of Pharoah Sanders reinterpretations.

'Strings' speaks to the group’s love of hip-hop, with Shigeto’s Dilla-esque ‘hanging off the beat’ slap and Melanie Charles’ deft rhymes and MdCL’s sample-chops, whilst 'Kanazawa' references a love of soulful house, with Charles’ 70s disco/fusion-tipping flute solo, leading into a euphoric and climactic club outro. The warrior-themed Bushido, first heard on MdCL’s album Heritage, leans even heavier on 70s jazz fusion as MdCL’s unruly synth impulsions and Donald Byrd-leaning soul-jazz production strides the line between atmospheric and experimental. MFT showcases Charles’ jazz vocals, treated here with big reverbs and delays, affording a vast, celestial quality that stands present throughout Hotel San Claudio.

One musician the group kept circling back to as a major influence was saxophone titan and cosmic sage, Pharoah Sanders. The trio’s absorbing 2-part versioning of Sanders’ 30m-long classic ‘The Creator Has A Master Plan’ as well as his iconic ‘Love Is Everywhere’ become the centrepiece of Hotel San Claudio’s spiritually-focused, reimagined jazz core.

Back