Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 16 - October 2020 /// WH Lung Incidental Music

ByersVinyl

WH Lung. - Incidental Music

So why did i choose this ???

My music taste is as varied as many others.

The usual young persons listening being popular chart music. I was lucky in that my dad volunteered at the local “youth club” and this involved buying the popular single releases on vinyl each week for the Club. I’d regularly have large singles DJ boxes of vinyl i’d play on a 1970s “portable case” vinyl player. A lot like a crosslely just twice the size
:)
Random memories of listening to Billie Wilders “Ain’t nothing gonna break my stride”
Red Boxes 1985 tune “Lean on me” and a multitude of others.

So my Music tastes i suppose developed just from having this wide access to all sorts of genres or popular music.
Obviously being a Mcr Uk lad I was around for the 90s scene but i also became a University student at the same time. One who smoked Pot and listened to Aphex Twin / FSOL / Wagon Christ and Osric Tentacles to make a few. I was so cool 🙄

So where am i taking this (not sure) I suppose i could say whilst i remain a listener of popular bands / artists I follow the local music scene (heads up to Piccadilly Records for a lot of curation) and a fair bit of classical and electronic.

When I was picked this month - I had an number of artists i was interested in promoting but just were not readily available (little nod to Red Snapper - come on press some vinyl!)
I also had half an eye on finding a local artist who had a great album that perhaps just possibly might like a bit of international Needles & Grooves recognition :cool:

Sooooo as I mentioned on the thread I’ve followed Piccadilly Records (my local) annual end of year list avidly for a few years now. Quite often the top spot is given to a local artist in need of the publicity and my first reaction is to try it out on Spotify. Heads up now to Jane Weaver and Kelly Lee Owens (past winners) I found WH Lung instantly playable - It didn’t need 3 plays thru to convince me and I’ve spun or streamed it quite a bit. It’s that simple really I love the album and I hope you do too.

On top of all this I think they surely deserve the Monthly accolade we bestow upon them. Many 2020 gigs and festivals have been cancelled just as they are achieving the recognition i think they deserve.

Let’s hope 2021 gives us back our gigs !!!!

Last edited:
Guesses

@Skalap - Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Bernard + Edith (only one album, Jem, only on CD)
Hurts (not a mixed band)
Jim Noir (solo)
Lamb (I like Gabriel on What Sound but
The 1975 (not a mixed band)
The Breath (more folk than electronic)
The Whip (one album, Wired Together, but CD only)
Whyte Horses (more pop than electronic)

@supahypeag Pulp - Different Class
@Jonathan Y The Prodigy - Experience
@Jan The good the bad and the Queen s/t
A guy Called gerald - (Album not pinned down tbh - But its not it :)
Whyte horses

@Thackeraye Spice Girls album - Forever
@Gavaxeman The Kinks Arthur
@Bsdmr2 Three Queens in Mourning - Hello Sorrow / Hello Joy.
@blissfullychaotic Echo & The Bunnymen ~ THE JOHN PEEL SESSIONS 1979-1983
@Waitressboy Pj Harvey - Let England Shake
@blissfullychaotic
Echo & The Bunnymen ~ THE JOHN PEEL SESSIONS 1979-1983
The teardrop explodes ~ Kilimanjaro.
@Gavaxeman The Fall .“infotainment scan”
The Happy Monday’s - Bummed
@Rowan New Order - Brotherhood
@Poly-Rythmo WH Lung - Incidental Music

I thought there was a strikethru option on here - cant for the life of me work out how tho.

Its not....

The Corrs
B*Witched
Pulp
Spice Girlz
The Kinks
PJ Harvey
Echo & the Bunneymen
Happy Mondays
The Prodigy
A Guy called gerald.
The Charlatans

Last edited:
Hints

1:

This clues simply pertained to 2019 release date (their was a Skunk Anansie album released with a live version of Charity) Cant give it away early...
2:
Monk listed by them as an inspiration

3: Three Queens Queen Victoria mentioned if you google up the Band (staute in city ctr - I posted 3 times simply because 3 band members)
1599053449428.png

4: UK Artist
5:
6:
7: Last Decade
8: Band
9: A picture of a £50 pound note
10: 53.4828° N, 2.2355° W
11: Genre - Alt Indie / Electronic

Last edited:
does this mean when the CLUES start or when you are announcing it
I assume when the clues start, no offense to @ByersVinyl if this was their plan but I don't know if announcing the record on the first day of the month would make for a very exciting month 😂

Yes what @gaporter assumed. Was just a quick opener to let everyone know i’m ready for 1st September - Reveal will be usual date mid month if not already guessed by super sleuthers.
Carry on folks - nothing to see here (yet) Enjoy September album thread for a while longer.

On second thoughts just revealing album on first day does remove my thread update work......:unsure:

Yes what @gaporter assumed. Was just a quick opener to let everyone know i’m ready for 1st September - Reveal will be usual date mid month if not already guessed by super sleuthers.
Carry on folks - nothing to see here (yet) Enjoy September album thread for a while longer.

On second thoughts just revealing album on first day does remove my thread update work......:unsure:

So you ask us to remain silent after putting an alarm (a countdown clock actually but we can call this an alarm in France) on your first post...? What AotM would that be :unsure::unsure::unsure: This might be my month...

Last edited:
It’s all part of my evil plan....

...I’m not sure what I’m trying to achieve but I do like to chuckle meglomaniacaly...

moohahahahahahahaha
In the states, unless you go to an English or Irish pub, you are likely not getting good clean lines in that Nitro tap. So the widget can is all we got for the PERFECT pour. It will do the trick though.

Back