Music Podcasts

AngryVal

For those who don't know me that well, I'm obsessed by podcasts. And music. I rarely listen to the radio anymore.

So, in the spirit of sharing the love around our new home I thought it would be a nice idea to share some of our favourite music podcasts, including a couple from down here in Australia that I think you will all love. I also recommend the Overcast app if you want a great podcast experience

OK - first the Aussie ones that may surprise:

Take 5 podcast - broadcast weekly on Double J, the digital radio older cousin of our youth station Triple J. Host Zan Rowe talks artists through 5 songs that influenced them and their careers. Today's was Kacey Musgrave (I saw her here on Tuesday ❤). Other recent episodes include Kurt Vile, Christine & The Queens, Butch Vig, Joan Jett, Neneh Cherry and more. It's been going for 12 years and it's great. 30 mins per ep.

The J Files - also from Triple J. A two hour deep dive on your favourite artists with interviews, insights, snippets and other tracks. It's also migrated to Double J. I;ve listened to this for 20 years (on and off) and it's excellent. Latest episodes include Neil Young, Iggy Pop, The Chemical Brothers, The Arctic Monkeys, The Roots, Radiohead etc etc. You name it, they've done it. It's awesome.

Other podcast recommendations - this is eclectic

All Songs Considered - good solid wrap of new releases
Disgraceland - Musicians are not always nice people!
Dissect - can sound a bit monotone but a great deep dive on a few key hip hop albums
Heart Shaped Pod - two comedians deep dive on Nirvana, with infectious passion
Hospital Records podcast - Do you like drum & bass? If so take this one to the gym
Defected Radio podcast - as above but for house music!
Mogul - amazing storytelling from my beloved Gimlet Media crew.
The Three Track Podcast - Like Take 5 above but with us normal folk too - as recommended by the wonderful @mionyl

Phew - I'm exhausted by all that! Over to you...

A podcast series I really enjoy is The Vinyl Guide. Funnily enough he is based in Australia somewhere (sorry, I cant remember specifically where). Its a great series and there's a TON of episodes to work through. They really are fantastic and he interviews some really 'prestigious' musicians, labels, engineers etc.

My local station turned me on to The Ongoing History of New Music. The radio show plays fulls songs, but the podcast version can only play snippets so it's much shorter - 20-25 minutes. I listen while I get ready in the morning on Wednesdays when they get posted. Variety of changing topics each week. Some multi-part, some single show.
856 episodes and going strong - amazing!

A podcast series I really enjoy is The Vinyl Guide. Funnily enough he is based in Australia somewhere (sorry, I cant remember specifically where). Its a great series and there's a TON of episodes to work through. They really are fantastic and he interviews some really 'prestigious' musicians, labels, engineers etc.
Excellent - been looking for one like this for a while. Thank you!

I'm a big fan of Song Exploder. They bring on a recording artist each week to break down a song, talk about the mixing, what instruments were used, original demos of the song are played, etc.
Great for aspiring musicians and producers.
Of course - I forgot about Song Exploder - that is excellent and one of my faves.

(also an excuse to bump this thread - unless no one really listens to podcasts which means I will get back in my box)

I'm also obsessed with podcasts, this will be a good thread! NYT's popcast is pretty great, sometimes the theme of the week won't necessarily grab me but the discussion draws me in. The themes vary greatly so there's something for everyone. I personally enjoy Bob Hecht's Joys of Jazz podcast too, has a story telling approach which I like.

Last edited:
The Joe Budden Podcast is wonderful if you're into hip hop and hip hop culture. They also basically function as a comedy podcast.

Dissect is a podcast that chooses one album per season and goes super into depth about each track. Each episode is usually about a track and the runtime for the episode is like an hour +/-.
He's on season four right now dissecting Scum Fuck Flower Boy by Tyler, The Creator.
The last three he discussed were My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, To Pimp A Butterfly, and Blonde.
I really like the content of Dissect but sometimes I just vague out listening to the host's monotone voice - can get a little hard work. Which is annoying as I think it's excellent content!

My local station turned me on to The Ongoing History of New Music. The radio show plays fulls songs, but the podcast version can only play snippets so it's much shorter - 20-25 minutes. I listen while I get ready in the morning on Wednesdays when they get posted. Variety of changing topics each week. Some multi-part, some single show.
This show introduced me to the Clash, Fugazi, Husker Du, and a ton of other things when I was around 13. Very influential radio show for my life. Used to listen every Sunday night on Edge 102. Alan Cross is the best. I need to go back and relisten.

The Joe Budden Podcast is wonderful if you're into hip hop and hip hop culture. They also basically function as a comedy podcast.

Dissect is a podcast that chooses one album per season and goes super into depth about each track. Each episode is usually about a track and the runtime for the episode is like an hour +/-.
He's on season four right now dissecting Scum Fuck Flower Boy by Tyler, The Creator.
The last three he discussed were My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, To Pimp A Butterfly, and Blonde.

NEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEW JOEBUDDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yo I love both of these so much. Just saw Joe and friends at the live podcast in Tampa. If you want a light/funny hip hop podcast this is for you!

Reactions: oak
NEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEW JOEBUDDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yo I love both of these so much. Just saw Joe and friends at the live podcast in Tampa. If you want a light/funny hip hop podcast this is for you!
I'm sad I didn't go to the one in Chicago. I wanted to but 1) it was a little pricey and 2) the only person I had to go with was my wife and I was too scared we'd end up doing truth or truth or some shit lol

I'm sad I didn't go to the one in Chicago. I wanted to but 1) it was a little pricey and 2) the only person I had to go with was my wife and I was too scared we'd end up doing truth or truth or some shit lol

That was the main reason my girlfriend wanted to go!! luckily we were in the back and had no chance of being picked

I'm really not a podcast guy. However, I have found that I dig ones about music.

I know that this one has a corporate sponser slant, but I really enjoy The Opus:

Also a consequence podcast, I really enjoyed the first season of Rootsland (need to check out the second):

Midland's podcast about tall tales in music is fun:

I enjoyed the first episode of this podcast and need to get back to it:

This is my favorite podcast of all time, were the Scorpians CIA agents?:

Just started the second episode of this (which is why I wanted to see if there was a music podcast thread, more in a second):
The 33 1/3 Podcast

Prince Paul asks Sebastian Bach... "was Use Your Illusions I & II an important album?" awkward pause, "no"... same question to Rikki Rachtmann, "it was a BIG album." lol

Last edited:
Back