Music Magic Moments

Skalap

I wanted to share with you all a story I'll call a Music Magic Moment.

When I was a child, my parents bought me a CD called "Piccolo, Saxo et Compagnie ou la Petite Histoire d'un grand orchestre". "Piccolo, Saxo and Company or the Little History of a great orchestra" is a pedagogical musical tale created in 1956 by French Jean Broussolle and André Popp.

The story was really nice: in the Kingdom of Music, the different families of instruments do not know each other and live separate from each other. But one day, the string family hears about the saxophone family and invites them. After getting to know each other, the two families decide to go looking for other families of instruments. Thus, in the wake of the wanderings, are added the family of woods, the family of drums and hammers and the family of brass. One day, after having met the guitar, all the families of instruments find the piano and form the great orchestra (Google translation).

I played the CD so many times that I ended by broke it. Anyway, I grew up and turned into an adult and never wanted nor needed to play it again. But then, a few years ago I started collecting records and, while I was crate digging, I saw this album. Sleeve in perfect shape, record looked unplayed, I asked for the price "2€", OK it's mine and I go home with the record.

A few days after I finally decided to wash the record and play it. Luckily, it sounded very good and I started enjoying this story as well as the good memories of when I was a child. And then, at the very end of side A comes the Music Magic Moment. When I was a child I never had noticed these very little words and, honestly, how could I have understood them? So at the end of side A, the main character, Piccolo (or maybe Saxo, I can't remember now) asks his grandfather where they are going now that they started meeting other families of instruments . And the grandfather answers: "maintenant? maintenant nous allons de l'autre côté du disque (now? now we go to the other side of the record").

And this moment was magic for me. I took the needle off of the record, turned the record, put the needle at the beginning of side B and started listening to the end of the story with a smile on my face. The "now I understand" smile.

I still have and cherish this record. It's certainly the record that start building the love I have for music and, someday, when I'll have children, I'll play this record for them and will tell them this story. They'll probably won't give a shit at the moment but I hope they'll remember it 20 or 30 years later when they'll find themselves a CD or a tape or a record or a mp3 file of this story.

And you? Do you have any MMM to share?

Last edited:
Back