Music in French?

This is one of my favorite artists that sings in French. I should be getting this vinyl any day now.:

And for some more French pop, I have really enjoyed La Femme's album from earlier this year.

I also second the recommendation for Dominique Fils-Aime.
I finally got in the notice that my Perseides vinyl is ready to be shipped to me. They also offered to combine shipping with her newest album Impossible A Aimer. Here's the link to order that one: Coeur de pirate - Impossible à aimer

Been enjoying this one over the past couple of months...

French Free Jazz paying tribute to one of my favourite American Poets, Bob Kaufman. A few of his works are recited in French over the music here. The French have long had a greater appreciation for surrealists than America.

That Manu Chao is really good. I saw it was available again, might pick it up soon.
Funny enough I was talking with some Spanish one day and they thought La Mano Negra and Manu Chao were Spanish.

Manu Chao is both! His family is spanish but emigrated to France to escape Franco. Mano Negra is named after a basque separatist group in the north of Spain. Most of the Manu Chao albums are in a mix of Spanish English French and occasionally Arabic. Maybe a few more. It's the fela kuti school of mishmash singing. I believe his album "Sibérie m'était contéee" is mostly in French though.

Been enjoying this one over the past couple of months...

French Free Jazz paying tribute to one of my favourite American Poets, Bob Kaufman. A few of his works are recited in French over the music here. The French have long had a greater appreciation for surrealists than America.

This is a fantastic album. I have the Superfly reissue but I think another label repressed this recently.

Hey @Turbo,

What would you say are a half dozen or so ESSENTIAL French Canadian albums?

Off the top of my head and in my own personal opinion as a Quebecois that only dabbles and is not as invested as most people in this province...

Beau Dommage Self-titled

Jean Leloup Le Dome

Les Colocs Dehors Novembre

Robert Charlebois avec Louise Forrestier (or any Charlebois greatest hits that includes Lindberg, and then you get other great Charlebois tracks, but Lindberg and this 1968 album is *the* turning point in Quebec music)

Harmonium

Bonuses: Pierre Ferland "Jaune", Plume Latraverse "Pommes De Route", Villain Pingouin S/T, Marjo "Celle Qui Va" (for well-crafted 80's pop), Corbeau "Illegal" (the above Marjo fronting a rock band), Daniel Bélanger "Qutre Saisons Dans Le Désordre", Coeur De Pirate "Blonde"... also other albums by the above 5.

Off the top of my head and in my own personal opinion as a Quebecois that only dabbles and is not as invested as most people in this province...

Beau Dommage Self-titled

Jean Leloup Le Dome

Les Colocs Dehors Novembre

Robert Charlebois avec Louise Forrestier (or any Charlebois greatest hits that includes Lindberg, and then you get other great Charlebois tracks, but Lindberg and this 1968 album is *the* turning point in Quebec music)

Harmonium

Bonuses: Pierre Ferland "Jaune", Plume Latraverse "Pommes De Route", Villain Pingouin S/T, Marjo "Celle Qui Va" (for well-crafted 80's pop), Corbeau "Illegal" (the above Marjo fronting a rock band), Daniel Bélanger "Qutre Saisons Dans Le Désordre", Coeur De Pirate "Blonde"... also other albums by the above 5.

Lots to check out and I've heard of only 1/4 to 1/3 of it (for example I knew Jean Leloup would be on this list but had no idea which album!)
Gonna dig into these a bit over the next few weeks...

Merci beaucoup!

Lots to check out and I've heard of only 1/4 to 1/3 of it (for example I knew Jean Leloup would be on this list but had no idea which album!)
Gonna dig into these a bit over the next few weeks...

Merci beaucoup!

No prob... Leloup is my favorite of the bunch! if you want to dig deeper with him, also check out L'Amour Est Sans Pitié, La Vallée Des Réputations and A Paradis City - each is a little different in their own way. Le Dome just kind of hits on all cylinders for me - it has that Bran Van 3000 / Beck mid-90's hodge-podge feel.

Some of the stuff I listed may not hit as hard if you don't understand the lyrics, but they're still pretty great musically either way.

Back