Music Biographies

m_5cfbd495689ebc23f28be009.jpg
b49d074a-3e3c-4bb1-b89b-95b40d73d5a0_1.a2e9b6bd3b5dd6800e7d7e7cd1e4373c.jpeg

Here are my two favorites. They are both extremely heavy on drug use and pretty wild stuff, which is quite interesting to me being in recovery.

Recommended if you are a RHCP or NOFX fan. Both of these books reignited my love for each band, especially Anthony's book.

I really enjoyed Alex James’ book on his time in blur. He’s a dick but he’s a dick who can admit it with hindsight...

Morrissey’s is hilarious. He thinks he’s James Joyce and writes in steam of consciousness. Entertaining but not for the reasons he meant it to be...

Also really enjoyed both Keith Richards’ and Bruce Springsteen’s books.

About to start Johnny Marr’s. Got a signed copy when it came out but never fully got around to reading it.

I really enjoyed Alex James’ book on his time in blur. He’s a dick but he’s a dick who can admit it with hindsight...

Morrissey’s is hilarious. He thinks he’s James Joyce and writes in steam of consciousness. Entertaining but not for the reasons he meant it to be...

Also really enjoyed both Keith Richards’ and Bruce Springsteen’s books.

About to start Johnny Marr’s. Got a signed copy when it came out but never fully got around to reading it.
I've got Kieth Richards there just havent got to start it yet

Our Band Could Be Your Life, the book that is basically awesome, detailed primers on the best 80s underground rock (post punk) bands is essential reading. Or at least it was to 18 year old me who basically liked Dino Jr and Sonic Youth and had my music world blasted even wider open.

Shakey, the Neil Young biography, is one of the best books of all time.

Our Band Could Be Your Life, the book that is basically awesome, detailed primers on the best 80s underground rock (post punk) bands is essential reading. Or at least it was to 18 year old me who basically liked Dino Jr and Sonic Youth and had my music world blasted even wider open.

Shakey, the Neil Young biography, is one of the best books of all time.
Shakey is really good. I’m about halfway through Waging Heavy Peace, i May never finish it. He’s not a prose writer for sure.

I recently finished Willie Nelson’s It’s a Long Story which I really liked and Robert Gordon’s Respect Yourself which is about Stax and is phenomenal.

I have read a ton of jazz biographies this year and I recommend all of them:

As serious as your life - Val Wilmer (1977) - Jazz in general with each chapter focusing on a musician and his/her influence
Miles: The Autobiography -Miles Davis & Quincy Troupe - A must read for any jazz enthusiast, it must be the best jazz autobiography out there?
Blue Note Records: The Biography - Richard Cook (2004) - A biography of the label.
Beneath The Underdog - Charles Mingus (1971) Charles Mingus biography, really interesting but not a fantastic insight into the jazz world. Focuses more on his relationships over the music.
The Jazz Traditions (second edition) - Martin Williams (1970) - Each chapter focuses on an individual musician. Musicians would probably find this a more informative book as its quite technical (parts went over my head as a non-player).

Im currently reading Coltrane: The Story of a Sound - Ben Ratliff and its fantastic so far, really informative and focuses on the biography of his music, over the man himself. I have Open Sky: Sonny Rollins And His World Of Improvisation Paperback – Eric Nisenson lined up as my next read, Rollins wrote the into and even says how well Nisenson was able to capture his life in the book, so looking forward to that!

I have also read the Tim Maia Racional Vols. 1 & 2 (33 1/3 Brazil) - Allen Thayer book which is a small book but packs a lot of info in it. Really interesting read if you are a fan of the album.

For the brits out there, Margrave of the Marshes - John Peel was a fantastic book. The dj passed away before finishing the book so his wife and daughter took over and finished it.

I'd recommend Neil Young - Shakey as well. I bought Waging Heavy Peace, but never read it now that I think about it.

Currently reading Legs McNeil & Gillian McCain - Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk. Really enjoying it.

Other good ones that haven't been mentioned yet:

Bob Spitz - The Beatles: The Biography. Big focus on the early years.
Clinton Heylin - Behind the Shades, Revisted (Bob Dylan)

Back