Movies

until I watched Marriage Story last week, Mistress America was the only Baumbach I had seen 🙊

but I watched Frances Ha last night and was completely charmed and delighted. seeing as most of Baumbach’s movies are streaming in places, I may knock out more of his movies soon.
The Squid And The Whale is great but definitely a little less polished than his later work. It’s also about divorce, but more from the children’s perspectives.

I also enjoyed Margot At The Wedding but nobody seems to ever talk about that one.

yeah I loved Gerwig in Frances Ha and then really loved Lady Bird. Haven’t seen Little Women yet but since she’s directing I’m all in

edit: also how are you watching Weathering With You? I’ve been trying to keep up with its release here but haven’t seen anything yet

Little Women is a bold work of adaptation and demonstrates a lot of the same attributes that make Lady Bird so remarkable, among which is Gerwig's extremely sympathetic, humanist portrayal of even minor characters. The sibling material in the movie is just...so good.

They're doing 'fan screenings' next Wednesday and Thursday before it goes wide-ish on Friday. You should be able to find participating theaters there.

Little Women is a bold work of adaptation and demonstrates a lot of the same attributes that make Lady Bird so remarkable, among which is Gerwig's extremely sympathetic, humanist portrayal of even minor characters. The sibling material in the movie is just...so good.

They're doing 'fan screenings' next Wednesday and Thursday before it goes wide-ish on Friday. You should be able to find participating theaters there.
Oh I had no idea, and it looks like it’s playing here those early dates as well as afterwards. Awesome. Thanks for the heads up

2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm.

Saw this two years ago on 70mm, having seen it on DVD and BR many times it was like seeing it anew. A local theater here has a 70mm festival every year and just last year they got a print of 2001 struck just for them, so I think I'll have to go check that out this year, which I why I've held off on getting the 4K disc, as I doubt it will be as impressive.

I wouldn't consider it optimistic, nor pessimistic. Ultimately I think this ambiguity of tone is actually what most of the detractors of this film hate more than the ambiguity of plot. The plot of the film is extremely basic and unless you have really poor film comprehension it's easy to parse out what's happening, but Kubrick refuses to get into the why. That's really the staying power of the film — it's a blank slate — more than any other Sci-Fi first contact film I can think of. I think almost any interpretation is due to the viewer's own bias and ethos I think that's why Kubrick hesitated to assign a meaning to the work.

I'll have to get around to seeing Ad Astra soon!

I got early streaming access to it. It's great! You won't be disappointed...I think at least.

Saw this two years ago on 70mm, having seen it on DVD and BR many times it was like seeing it anew. A local theater here has a 70mm festival every year and just last year they got a print of 2001 struck just for them, so I think I'll have to go check that out this year, which I why I've held off on getting the 4K disc, as I doubt it will be as impressive.

I wouldn't consider it optimistic, nor pessimistic. Ultimately I think this ambiguity of tone is actually what most of the detractors of this film hate more than the ambiguity of plot. The plot of the film is extremely basic and unless you have really poor film comprehension it's easy to parse out what's happening, but Kubrick refuses to get into the why. That's really the staying power of the film — it's a blank slate — more than any other Sci-Fi first contact film I can think of. I think almost any interpretation is due to the viewer's own bias and ethos I think that's why Kubrick hesitated to assign a meaning to the work.

I'll have to get around to seeing Ad Astra soon!

I saw 2001 finally on the big screen last year and it was superb ..a proper movie experience..also Alien held up really well..I love it when my local cinema does the odd classic movie night ..so far we’ve had 2001, alien, evil dead , blade runner and the shining ..I’d like Bullet for that car chase on the big screen next

I would really like to see it again but have a feeling I'll end up waiting for the Blu-ray. I don't get to the theater nearly as much as I'd like.
Oh yeah it's definitely on my to-own list (and I don't really buy movies these days); it may be a deep, emotional movie, but it's also so out-and-out cha-a-a-arming that it's truly a vibe I want to hang with anytime I can.

Oh yeah it's definitely on my to-own list (and I don't really buy movies these days); it may be a deep, emotional movie, but it's also so out-and-out cha-a-a-arming that it's truly a vibe I want to hang with anytime I can.

I would buy it just for Chris Cooper's performance, and that's like the fourth or fifth most remarkable thing in the movie.

also, I am picking up your Griff reference.

I would buy it just for Chris Cooper's performance, and that's like the fourth or fifth most remarkable thing in the movie.

also, I am picking up your Griff reference.
Oh gosh Chris Cooper is so so good in this movie. Considering his character appears to do very little other than stand still in his study. There is so much about this movie that comes across as simple, but hides so much depth. Ugh. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

I love so much that he asks about Beth playing his piano twice; the movie doesn't have to do that (and I could see some editors excising it due to redundancy), but it really drives home how much he'd just like anyone to break him out of his grief, yet makes it all the more moving when he actually hears Beth playing. And the short, almost-inessential scene where he's lingering outside the house and says it doesn't feel right going in...I'm not crying.

Oh gosh Chris Cooper is so so good in this movie. Considering his character appears to do very little other than stand still in his study. There is so much about this movie that comes across as simple, but hides so much depth. Ugh. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

I love so much that he asks about Beth playing his piano twice; the movie doesn't have to do that (and I could see some editors excising it due to redundancy), but it really drives home how much he'd just like anyone to break him out of his grief, yet makes it all the more moving when he actually hears Beth playing. And the short, almost-inessential scene where he's lingering outside the house and says it doesn't feel right going in...I'm not crying.

His quietly crying on the stairs while Beth plays is just an incredible moment.

His quietly crying on the stairs while Beth plays is just an incredible moment.

Lots of the non-verbal moments of this film were great but this might have been one of the greatest, so touching.

I think Little Women is actually going to come out on UHD Blu-Ray which is a nice surprise as most films on that format (hard copies at least) are macho action crap. I hardly ever go for a UHD disc these days as I don't rewatch enough to merit the $30 purchase but this is one I'll gladly be picking up.

My favorite Chris Cooper role is still in The Muppets

Back