MONO Bypass fun :)

AnthonyI

I may be stretching the abilities of my amp here, but can't really determine anything solid from A) The Manual and B) The Interwebs...........so your up :)

So, looking at the back of my NAD, I'm wondering if it's possible to set up the "B Speakers" for a mono signal, the amp has a MONO bypass on the back, here's what were looking at....
1580657852018.png

So, do you think the mono bypass effects only the Speakers B posts (Going by the markings on the back of the amp/Bridge Mode)? Meaning, if I were to run R+/L+ to the R+ of my right speaker and the L+ of my left speaker AND have the bypass turned ON, would it give me MONO on Speakers B and Stereo on Speakers A when switched on the front of the amp?

@HiFi Guy , @Ed Selley @displayname and anyone else, please chime in :)

I may be stretching the abilities of my amp here, but can't really determine anything solid from A) The Manual and B) The Interwebs...........so your up :)

So, looking at the back of my NAD, I'm wondering if it's possible to set up the "B Speakers" for a mono signal, the amp has a MONO bypass on the back, here's what were looking at....
View attachment 31271

So, do you think the mono bypass effects only the Speakers B posts (Going by the markings on the back of the amp/Bridge Mode)? Meaning, if I were to run R+/L+ to the R+ of my right speaker and the L+ of my left speaker AND have the bypass turned ON, would it give me MONO on Speakers B and Stereo on Speakers A when switched on the front of the amp?

@HiFi Guy , @Ed Selley @displayname and anyone else, please chime in :)

What that does is allow the amplifier to be bridged from stereo to mono, with a large increase of power. NAD made a power amp that when bridged mono would
equal the power of the bridged integrated. So the bridged integrated drives one channel, the bridged power amp drives the other.

If someone wanted/needed more power, they could keep the integrated and just add the power amp. No need to sell anything and start over.

I wouldn’t try what you are thinking. Something may get damaged, but that’s just a guess.

I wouldn’t try what you are thinking. Something may get damaged, but that’s just a guess.
These are the things I need to hear, before this happens...........
giphy.gif

How about some “mono cartridge fun?”
Well, now that my bypass assumption has gone up in smoke, lol, I'm in for the cart discussion. So wasn't it determined at some point that a mono cart on "modern" mono pressings wasn't really worth the investment, as small as it is.

It's funny how much opinions differ on the practicality of mono carts for nouvelle mono pressings like the Beatles ones. Some really like the mono carts, others say stereo is fine since they're cut on a stereo lathe. I've only heard needledrops of mono carts with new pressings, which did sound good and very quiet, but of course there's a slight reduction in noise from mono summing a stereo. If I had more vintage mono stuff I'd definitely take the plunge to see.

@AnthonyI , why not get a mono summing switch to place inline between the phono stage and the NAD?

Someone splain, for me and the masses 😁

A simple switch that when you flick it to mono sums the two input channels together so you get an identical signal out of both output channels. Someone made one on here I think...

Last edited:
This is the one!
I like it, now to decide if my eye site and soldering skills have deteriorated enough to just go buy one, or do we accept the challenge.....i do like a good DIY, lol

I like it, now to decide if my eye site and soldering skills have deteriorated enough to just go buy one, or do we accept the challenge.....i do like a good DIY, lol

To be honest I’ve never seen one for sale commercially, there was a guy on SHF making and building them to order at one point. It’s not that complicated and there are plenty of schematics online. Plus if you built it yourself you get to decide the quality of the connections/wire etc that you put into it.

To be honest I’ve never seen one for sale commercially, there was a guy on SHF making and building them to order at one point. It’s not that complicated and there are plenty of schematics online. Plus if you built it yourself you get to decide the quality of the connections/wire etc that you put into it.

KAB makes one, very expensive due to the remote. Of course the first thing I would do is just do the cheap y-cable trick to see the value behind it before buying anything or building anything. Personally I'm now spoiled with one on my phono stage and my receiver. Hard to live without personally.

Back