MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

41 pages of good posts. Thanks for all the great info.
Missed out on the refurbished unit due to my indecisiveness...BUT as luck would have it an open box unit popped up yesteriyaki’s, this time with a MT. Didn’t hesitate! Now just waiting for it to ship. Super stoked to get my hands on this unit and check it out.
You should be very happy with it, Gratz!
..and yes, the MasterTracker is no slouch ;)

IT’S HERE!!!

Super excited, just waiting for EOD and UPS to deliver my new rack. Won’t have a ton of time this weekend due to in-laws coming to visit, but I’m hoping to get some A-B testing in tonight and more serious listening next week/weekend.

I’ll post back with impressions.
2AB5262D-258F-440A-BF36-F966BBAC500B.jpeg

You end up with these circular grindings in the lid...

View attachment 90291

I know I’m super late responding to this, but just saw this post. As an UW photographer I have to buff out scratches on acrylic dome ports on occasion. I’d be careful with abrasives like toothpaste as they could leave a haze on the plastic. If the scratches are deeper (feel it with a fingernail) you’ll likely need a more coarse abrasive to start and then move to a finer grade and finally an acrylic polish. I’d recommend a kit, like a Micro-Mesh kit ($20-50) for heavy scratches or Novus polishing kit (around $10) for lighter jobs.

Hi,

sound of my new Ultradeck is simply amazing! It came with factory installed UltraTracker yet the arm does not reach to the end of the record. Looks like the silver pin where you hang the anti-skating weight is getting into the black little plastic pole and that’s it before the grooves end. What do I do wrong?
Thanks!

Hi,

sound of my new Ultradeck is simply amazing! It came with factory installed UltraTracker yet the arm does not reach to the end of the record. Looks like the silver pin where you hang the anti-skating weight is getting into the black little plastic pole and that’s it before the grooves end. What do I do wrong?
Thanks!
Might want to post in this threa: MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested to reach others who own/use or might know more about your specific issues with the Ultradeck.

Hi,

Thanks!
I have an Ultradeck and have had a similar issue once, when I moved my table’s location. I found that base of the arm had moved slightly. Lightly twist it clockwise toward the platter and that should right it again.

But yeah. Come to the main thread and welcome to the fold.

It’s the only weight I’ve used that makes an audible difference.
Hi, I wonder - when choosing the record weight (clamp) for the Ultradeck - shall I be careful with the weight? Would 16oz (450g) be ok or too heavy / risking a damage to the motor?

Hi, I wonder - when choosing the record weight (clamp) for the Ultradeck - shall I be careful with the weight? Would 16oz (450g) be ok or too heavy / risking a damage to the motor?
Not sure about the total weight that you'd want, but I'll agree with @HiFi Guy , the MoFi weight makes an audible difference on my UltraDeck.. the old weight I had does not..

Not sure about the total weight that you'd want, but I'll agree with @HiFi Guy , the MoFi weight makes an audible difference on my UltraDeck.. the old weight I had does not..
I have the Super Heavyweight as well, and I'll agree, it did make an audible difference in the sound. It sits at 13 oz. and won't strain the motor. The Champion is 17.5 oz, so I don't think you'll have an issue with a 16oz weight.

I have the Super Heavyweight as well, and I'll agree, it did make an audible difference in the sound. It sits at 13 oz. and won't strain the motor. The Champion is 17.5 oz, so I don't think you'll have an issue with a 16oz weight.
Thank you! I will try out a bit cheaper heavy weight. Surely MoFi clamp is great but very pricey also. I need one mostly for some older records which do not spin well on one side. Thanks!

Would the Zu Audio Mission phono cables be an upgrade over the stock cables for the UD?
The stock cables on the UD are actually decent in comparison to what you usually get. That being said, most "reputable" 3rd party cables are better than stock, including the ZUs...............in my opinion ;)

So about a week in and probably ~10 hours of solid listening time, I can say the UD+M is a solid upgrade all around. My TL;DR report is the noticeable improvement to the output level compared to the U-Turn+8mz. I've lowered my regular listening level ~ -3-6dB.

My usual go to track for testing new equipment is Adele - Set Fire to the Rain. Did A-B testing and all was what I expected on the orbit, granted my time with the 8mz was less than 4 hours. Switching over to the UD and I was surprised to hear the track sounded WORSE. Super muddled and low output level. I was baffled as to what was wrong, assuming maybe the MasterTracker was dirty or just needed more break-in time. I was also noticing the feedback level was worse than what others had posted about. Listened to another track and still had the same experience with super low output. Sat there thinking what could be the problem..."uh oh...did I?...YEP"; when swapping the interconnects on the Pho-8 I accidentally bumped the cart setting from MM to MC :ROFLMAO:. Switched back and we were in business.

Pulled several albums I've played multiple times and noticed how well the MT was performing with vocals and overall mid-range. Listening to Adele, Rag-N-Bone Man, Fleetwood, Laura Gibson all gave the sensation of what I imagine a studio session would be like. The cart didn't feel overly technical or musical and just had a nice neutral sound to it. Bass retrieval was also much better, resulting in me removing my previous EQ settings. Where the cart REALLY blew me away was with All The Ways by Wet. There is one spot where my orbit would always skip, something i assumed was due to a bad pressing. Nope! MT managed to play the whole track without an issue :love:. I did also notice how quiet the table is, with feedback only noticeable with my ears right next to the speakers. Happy to report my wife also noticed the improvement from the orbit, which doesn't always happen when I get new audio gear.

Overall I am super happy with the upgrade. Was a bit worried the table wouldn't fit on my rack since it is wider than the orbit, but luckily it fit with a few inches to spare.

Back