4775 Banning Ave
White Bear Lake, MN 55110
(612) 735-1643

HALF PRICE BOOKS
2982 White Bear Ave N
Maplewood, MN 55109
(651) 773-0631

Last edited:
agharta is good for coming across things you don't see in many stores, if any. they seem to bring in used stuff that is harder to find.

hymies is pretty much the perfect digging store. never know what you'll find there.

the fetus is msp/stp's flagship indie music store. if you are a tourist or looking to go to one place, that's where you should go.

my store of choice is cheapo in saint paul, but i've also been shopping there for years and have a good rapport with most of the staff. it's pretty bare bones looks wise - it's essentially like shopping in a warehouse - but you could dig there for hours, too, if that's your thing. they cycle through used stuff fairly regularly, too.

So I’m not from, nor do I live in Minnesnowta, but I happened to be hanging out for the day in Mankato. Gotta say that Tune Town is a pretty dope store. Will definitely be back next time I’m in town.
Thank you for that recommendation! I am going to be in Minnesota for at least a month (could be longer as my dad is not doing well at all) and I will need to get out of the house. I will need to check out this place the next time I am in Mankato. I am about 1/2 hour away. If anyone has any other southern Minnesota recommendations I am all ears!

What up twin city peeps. I will be planting my roots there in about 60 days. So excited to get back north and dig in what seems like an endless amount of stores. Can’t wait!!!

Welcome! back?

I'm on the St. Paul side of things if you have any lingering questions before you head to the North just reach out. Agarta and Hymies are my go tos on this side of town. Mill City Sound, Electric Fetus and Roadrunner across the river but there are many others that are good and worth checking out.

Everyone talks about the weather. It's not that big of a deal until it is. Obviously it will be cold and getting colder when you land. It's a great time of the year and when it gets really cold, clear, and crisp it's something that makes this place special.

I just purchased my first home this year so I have experience renting here if that's what you're doing. There are some ballot initiatives on rent control that may or may not be going through to aid what is a very challenging time for renters or anyone who doesn't own.

Good luck on the journey and glad you chose this place.

Welcome! back?

I'm on the St. Paul side of things if you have any lingering questions before you head to the North just reach out. Agarta and Hymies are my go tos on this side of town. Mill City Sound, Electric Fetus and Roadrunner across the river but there are many others that are good and worth checking out.

Everyone talks about the weather. It's not that big of a deal until it is. Obviously it will be cold and getting colder when you land. It's a great time of the year and when it gets really cold, clear, and crisp it's something that makes this place special.

I just purchased my first home this year so I have experience renting here if that's what you're doing. There are some ballot initiatives on rent control that may or may not be going through to aid what is a very challenging time for renters or anyone who doesn't own.

Good luck on the journey and glad you chose this place.
I am moving from Louisiana. I was in colorado for 6 years and that’s what I meant by getting back north. So I’m kind of used to the weather but I know it will be colder and more snow there.

We are looking to purchase a home. I’ll be coming up November 5-7 to look at homes and hopefully find something. Our plan was to buy but we weren’t sure if we could but after seeing rent prices there’s no way we could do that. We’ve been approved for the loan so it’s just a matter of finding a place. I’ve made a friend on one of my record groups on FB and he’s been trying to guide me to the better parts of town.

I am moving from Louisiana. I was in colorado for 6 years and that’s what I meant by getting back north. So I’m kind of used to the weather but I know it will be colder and more snow there.

We are looking to purchase a home. I’ll be coming up November 5-7 to look at homes and hopefully find something. Our plan was to buy but we weren’t sure if we could but after seeing rent prices there’s no way we could do that. We’ve been approved for the loan so it’s just a matter of finding a place. I’ve made a friend on one of my record groups on FB and he’s been trying to guide me to the better parts of town.

Oh cool, well we don't necessarily get more snow than Colorado but it is colder longer. Once it falls here the ground pretty much stays white throughout the winter.

Well, there aren't any really "bad" parts of town. There are wealthier and poorer areas. Persons of color tend to be concentrated in poorer areas of course and crime is also more concentrated (as its pushed into) those areas, but crime is very low here comparatively. The issues of larger cities exist but are drastically less. It's generally a very safe place.

It all depends on what you're looking for, schools for kids, size of home, lifestyle, convenience to job or activities. The winter housing market is slower, so there is less available but less people looking too.

My agent was a really decent dude (an engineer by training and a few decades as an agent) and about the only thing with the home buying experience that was tolerable... so if you need a decent person to help with that process let me know and I'll connect you.

I'm not native to this land but have been here for about 5 years. I've found a few common refrains to be true.

1. People don't cross the rivers. Meaning people from Minneapolis don't really hang in St. Paul and vice versa even tho they're basically attached communities with the downtown areas only about 11 miles apart. This is maybe becoming a little less true than it used to be.

2. People from Minnesota tend to only hang out with people from Minnesota and the opposite is true if you're not from here. I've very much found this to be true but of course there are exceptions to the rule... and some of it makes sense and is cultural trickle-down from nordic cultures.

3. "Minnesota nice" is real and insidious. People tend to be very "nice" which is great, but they are not very friendly. They're also not forthcoming about what they think and feel and are often snide in their niceness. No one will ever invite you over to their home. If they do they're probably originally from someplace else.

Just mentioning these things because you may have heard about them from others or when deciding to move here. Again, non of this is a big deal but just local cultural oddities you may find yourself navigating.

Oh cool, well we don't necessarily get more snow than Colorado but it is colder longer. Once it falls here the ground pretty much stays white throughout the winter.

Well, there aren't any really "bad" parts of town. There are wealthier and poorer areas. Persons of color tend to be concentrated in poorer areas of course and crime is also more concentrated (as its pushed into) those areas, but crime is very low here comparatively. The issues of larger cities exist but are drastically less. It's generally a very safe place.

It all depends on what you're looking for, schools for kids, size of home, lifestyle, convenience to job or activities. The winter housing market is slower, so there is less available but less people looking too.

My agent was a really decent dude (an engineer by training and a few decades as an agent) and about the only thing with the home buying experience that was tolerable... so if you need a decent person to help with that process let me know and I'll connect you.

I'm not native to this land but have been here for about 5 years. I've found a few common refrains to be true.

1. People don't cross the rivers. Meaning people from Minneapolis don't really hang in St. Paul and vice versa even tho they're basically attached communities with the downtown areas only about 11 miles apart. This is maybe becoming a little less true than it used to be.

2. People from Minnesota tend to only hang out with people from Minnesota and the opposite is true if you're not from here. I've very much found this to be true but of course there are exceptions to the rule... and some of it makes sense and is cultural trickle-down from nordic cultures.

3. "Minnesota nice" is real and insidious. People tend to be very "nice" which is great, but they are not very friendly. They're also not forthcoming about what they think and feel and are often snide in their niceness. No one will ever invite you over to their home. If they do they're probably originally from someplace else.

Just mentioning these things because you may have heard about them from others or when deciding to move here. Again, non of this is a big deal but just local cultural oddities you may find yourself navigating.
The snow staying on the ground is the part about it I don’t like!! Haha.

We are moving up there for a job my fiancé got and she wants to stay close (20 min drive) to it. It’s in the heart of downtown I believe. There was an are south kind of close to the airport but more west I was looking at. Ideally I’d like something built in the 40’s-70’s with at least 1500 sq ft but closer to 2000 with a finished basement. Also would love for the garage to be attached but that doesn’t seem very common. Haha.

This is a first I’m hearing about all the quirks from locals, but being from Louisiana I get that sort of. The consensus is people from Louisiana are super nice and they are, but to people that are from here. I personally don’t fall into that but it’s a common trend.

So….you want to come over to my house and hang out once I get there?? 😂

Also I don’t really get the twin cities thing. Maybe I’ll understand it more when I get there. Now if St. Paul was in Wisconsin that would make total sense but having two major cities in the same state so close is kind of weird to me. Why not just make them one.

My new buddy there did tell me St. Paul has more of an old school classic feel where as Minneapolis is more of a progressive new school feel. 🤷‍♂️

Also I don’t really get the twin cities thing. Maybe I’ll understand it more when I get there. Now if St. Paul was in Wisconsin that would make total sense but having two major cities in the same state so close is kind of weird to me. Why not just make them one.

My new buddy there did tell me St. Paul has more of an old school classic feel where as Minneapolis is more of a progressive new school feel. 🤷‍♂️

I've lived in different places across the country and when I got here someone described it to me as Saint Paul is the western-most eastern city and Minneapolis is the eastern-most western city, and oddly that confusing line makes a ton of sense. There's more money and business in Minneapolis. Saint Paul is smaller and poorer, with a much smaller tax base, and is the state capital. So it's a little more conservative but not much. It's just a little more quiet. A lot more of the earlier city architecture exists in Saint Paul whereas it's been replaced more modern stuff in Minneapolis.

If you're looking at Richfield, it's kind-of a hotbed for people trying to find affordable homes but it's become far less affordable over the past 2 years. Edina is wealthier community. Both are nice with pluses and minuses. Eden Prairie is a little more suburban (even the cities are pretty suburban here to me) and also pricier but nice.

I don't totally get the Twin Cities thing either. It's just two distinct cities that are right next to each other. It's really one city with two distinct vibes and two downtown centers. One thing I've learned tho is that community identity is super strong here. Like the name on the water tower seems to really matter. This is a little weird and specific but it's kind of wild that in the metro area there are over 100 different water suppliers. There are like 180 different communities and most of them have their own system. It's super inefficient. Like you could just have more shared systems and save tons of cash on utilities and police but every political boundary wants to have their name on something... It's kind-of fascinating.

Check out Hopkins and St. Louis Park. The train line is going in there so it might make the commute easier plus there's a good record store. Commuting from the north or the south to one or the other downtowns isn't the worst BUT going across town from say the eastside to the westside or vice versa sucks. Also check out places like West Saint Paul or Medota Heights or Eagan. They're a little further out maybe but driving to downtown Minneapolis isn't really any further time-wise than say Bloomington or Eden Prairie... but they might be a little more affordable. On the north side Roseville is quickly becoming expensive but has decent schools little bit more space but wouldn't kill the commute time.

I've lived in different places across the country and when I got here someone described it to me as Saint Paul is the western-most eastern city and Minneapolis is the eastern-most western city, and oddly that confusing line makes a ton of sense. There's more money and business in Minneapolis. Saint Paul is smaller and poorer, with a much smaller tax base, and is the state capital. So it's a little more conservative but not much. It's just a little more quiet. A lot more of the earlier city architecture exists in Saint Paul whereas it's been replaced more modern stuff in Minneapolis.

If you're looking at Richfield, it's kind-of a hotbed for people trying to find affordable homes but it's become far less affordable over the past 2 years. Edina is wealthier community. Both are nice with pluses and minuses. Eden Prairie is a little more suburban (even the cities are pretty suburban here to me) and also pricier but nice.

I don't totally get the Twin Cities thing either. It's just two distinct cities that are right next to each other. It's really one city with two distinct vibes and two downtown centers. One thing I've learned tho is that community identity is super strong here. Like the name on the water tower seems to really matter. This is a little weird and specific but it's kind of wild that in the metro area there are over 100 different water suppliers. There are like 180 different communities and most of them have their own system. It's super inefficient. Like you could just have more shared systems and save tons of cash on utilities and police but every political boundary wants to have their name on something... It's kind-of fascinating.

Check out Hopkins and St. Louis Park. The train line is going in there so it might make the commute easier plus there's a good record store. Commuting from the north or the south to one or the other downtowns isn't the worst BUT going across town from say the eastside to the westside or vice versa sucks. Also check out places like West Saint Paul or Medota Heights or Eagan. They're a little further out maybe but driving to downtown Minneapolis isn't really any further time-wise than say Bloomington or Eden Prairie... but they might be a little more affordable. On the north side Roseville is quickly becoming expensive but has decent schools little bit more space but wouldn't kill the commute time.
We aren’t wealthy by any means but we do have a little bit of funds to play with. We were approved for $400,000 but aren’t looking to spend that much. I’ve thought about looking in St Paul and even with how easy I know it is, my fiancé doesn’t want to cross the river. She’s very particular and of course I have to please her 🙄

If it were up to me we would definitely be further out in a suburb with more land. Hell, I was even looking at stuff on the wisco border but she’s not down with that at all. One thing I am looking forward to being closer to the city is the ability to ride my bike. That’s one thing I absolutely loved in colorado but can’t do at all here in Louisiana. Not only for lack of bike lanes and paths but also that it’s just too damn hot and humid.

Back