Making Your Own Booze

How do you make Amaro? Does it have a neutral spirit base that is then flavoured?
we use a combination of a neutral grain base and our rums...both dark ("Boston" for color and sweetness) and white (sweetness and cost-effective).

we steep most of the botanical notes for about 3 weeks.

finding the right botanical/citrus/sweetness balance is painstaking work, but honestly once you can nail that down, making your own amari is actually pretty easy.

Back in my bachelor days I had a pretty good extract + specialty grain homebrewing setup with 2 corny kegs and a keezer I built out of a chest freezer.

Now I'm just doing the occasional flavored liquor. The latest is a banana liqueur after I was thinking up some ways to get rid of bruised bananas.

2 bananas sliced
1.25 cups vodka
0.25 cups overproof rum
1 cup turbinado sugar syrup (1:1)
Steep the bananas in the alcohol for 3 days. Strain and add the syrup and let sit for 1 day.

Currently using it in a riff on a Fancy Free cocktail, which is 4:1 rye to Luxardo and some bitters. Just replacing the Luxardo with the banana liqueur. I like it over one large cube.

IMG_20191222_202146.jpg

I homebrewed an all grain Baltic porter in 2011 right before I got sober. The yeast I used petered out around 9.5abv and didn’t fully carb it up. I am told the taste is phenomenally good but the carbonation is so flat it kind of ruins it. It has basically just enough to make sound when you open a bottle. I’m looking for someone who wants to make a careful transfer into one of those mini coke syrup kegs and serve it up right.

Was going to make Creme de Cassis but didn't have enough blackcurrants so have combined all the currants for a mutant mixed berry liqueur. This will be left to infuse for 5 months, then it will be mashed/blended and strained. I'll then add some sugar syrup, shake well and then leave for a further 3 months. The results will hopefully be delicious.

1583150072779.png

Update on the elderberry and old tom gins that I made...... both incredible. The Old Tom has made some amazing Tom Collins and Martinez cocktails. It's also delicious with tonic. The elderberry makes an incredible g&t with fever tree elderflower tonic.

Bottled my first batch of homebrew beer this weekend. A simple American Pale Ale with 2oz of Magnum Hops and 2oz of Cascade hops. Looking forward to opening a bottle in two weeks to see how it turned out.

This Saturday I'll be doing my next batch which will be a Belgian Tripel.

mmexport1594650487331.jpgIMG_20200614_091215.jpgIMG_20200703_224740.jpg

Bottled my first batch of homebrew beer this weekend. A simple American Pale Ale with 2oz of Magnum Hops and 2oz of Cascade hops. Looking forward to opening a bottle in two weeks to see how it turned out.

This Saturday I'll be doing my next batch which will be a Belgian Tripel.

View attachment 56622View attachment 56623View attachment 56624
Oh man that's awesome. My wife recently decreed that I am forbidden from brewing my own beer because 1) I have too many hobbies and 2) she can't have gluten so she can't partake and doesn't want me spending time on something only I benefit from.

Oh man that's awesome. My wife recently decreed that I am forbidden from brewing my own beer because 1) I have too many hobbies and 2) she can't have gluten so she can't partake and doesn't want me spending time on something only I benefit from.

I started by using a brew kit and your gluten comment reminded me of seeing this gluten free recipe, maybe you can surprise the wife with a nice glass :)

I would wander in to a home brew store in Chicago and see how much a starter pack would cost and see if it's something you can deduct from your vinyl hobby, that's how I got my gf on board.

Attachments

• 1009_glutenfreeale_recipe.pdf
    397.2 KB · Views: 1
I started by using a brew kit and your gluten comment reminded me of seeing this gluten free recipe, maybe you can surprise the wife with a nice glass :)

I would wander in to a home brew store in Chicago and see how much a starter pack would cost and see if it's something you can deduct from your vinyl hobby, that's how I got my gf on board.
The problem is that she didn't like beer before she went GF. Even if I made a GF beer, there is a good chance she wouldn't like it.

Back