Make Amazon Butcher Block / Kitchen Cutting Board Turntable Isolation Platform

Mnpctech

Many people that ask about my turntable isolation feet get intimated with thought of replacing their factory feet. I totally get that, especially if you have a vintage turntable and want to keep everything original! So what's another solution if you're experiencing bad vibrations from your floor or audio furniture? You can buy Butcher Block / Kitchen cutting board from Amazon! (or cut your own board if you have the tools :)

I went on Amazon and found the best bargain butcher block ($59.99) size for most turntables. I added my feet, cause they look great, but you can find a variety of rubber and sorbothane feet on Amazon too! Link to my DIY Butcher Block Turntable Platform

Attachments

• best-butcher-block-wood-for-turntable-isolation-base-platform.jpg
    best-butcher-block-wood-for-turntable-isolation-base-platform.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 28
you can get IKEA cutting boards cheap!
and good meatballs too! (inside joke)

Many here use these $20 Bamboo ones. I actually use a handmade 2" maple block.
Some take two of these and use ball bearings between them. Under $50 hack.

Has anyone ever tried painting one of these bamboo cutting boards? Been wanting to get something like this for my office but hate the bamboo look, but I figure most have got massive amounts of clearcoat that I’d need to sand off.

Has anyone ever tried painting one of these bamboo cutting boards? Been wanting to get something like this for my office but hate the bamboo look, but I figure most have got massive amounts of clearcoat that I’d need to sand off.
What color did you have in mind?

You just need to scuff the surface, so the basecoat primer you apply has adhesion. I like to use Medium Scotchbrite pads. Then you can apply top coat paint color.

What color did you have in mind?

You just need to scuff the surface, so the basecoat primer you apply has adhesion. I like to use Medium Scotchbrite pads. Then you can apply top coat paint color.

Probably satin black! Good tip with the scotchbrite I had no clue how these would hold up to sanding. I have a 1200mk1 that’s in the shop rn (hopefully it can be resurrected), very poor isolation in that early design and replacing the feet won’t really work since they’re an odd shape and design so this seems like a good solution.

Understood, and Isolation platform is good alternative solution for your unique situation.

Fluance RT85, RT84, RT83, RT82 Mnpctech Turntable Upgrade Isolation Feet Setup by Mnpctech.

Last edited:
I am in the midst of building a large entertainment center and I went to one of those overrun outlets (ours is called South Eastern Salvage) and they have tons of butcher block options. I don't live near an IKEA and they are not good at shipping.

Richie Wood shared this photo of his beautiful Makassar wood plinth for his Thorens TD-615 turntable with isolation feet from my workshop, thorens-turntable-isolation-feet-buy-best.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Richie Wood shared this photo of his beautiful Makassar wood plinth for his Thorens TD-615 turntable with isolation feet from my workshop, View attachment 135082
That is some beautiful wood.

Stephan Kissling shared his custom made base / plinth for his vintage Lenco L75. It has some layers of marine plywood, Blackwood veneer, red wood stain and a few coats of polyurethane clear made for a nice plinth. A custom made acrylic cover for a lid and to finish off the plinth, and height adjustable turntable isolation feet from mnpctech. He also outfitted the Lenco turntable with Rega RB250 tonearm with Cardas wire.turntable-isolation-feet-for-lenco2.jpgturntable-isolation-feet-for-lenco1.jpg

Terry Nielsen of Zee Audio in Austin, Texas finished his custom plinth and isolation platform with Mnpctech butcher block isolation platform feet. It's chambered maple butcher block 1.5" thick body, filled with lightly-compacted fine sand, and capped with a spalted maple top. I've attached photos of the turntable fully assembled (and playing). Rega 24V motor and NEO controller, Tangospinner sub-pulley, 12mm glass platter, Rega 303 tonerarm with Originlive structural upgrade, Incognito re-wire, custom music brass counterweight, and a Rega Exact cartridge.

Attachments

• best-feet-mnpctech-butcher-block-isolation-platform-three.jpg
    best-feet-mnpctech-butcher-block-isolation-platform-three.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 9
  • best-feet-mnpctech-butcher-block-isolation-platform-four.jpg
    best-feet-mnpctech-butcher-block-isolation-platform-four.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 9
  • best-feet-mnpctech-butcher-block-isolation-platform-one.jpg
    best-feet-mnpctech-butcher-block-isolation-platform-one.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 10
  • best-feet-mnpctech-butcher-block-isolation-platform-two.jpg
    best-feet-mnpctech-butcher-block-isolation-platform-two.jpg