The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

tenor.gif

On the real though, checking this out now and digging it.

I love how this album isn’t afraid to show its influences and that it’s influences are so diverse. Sure, it’s 60s psych rock but they touch on all of it... from The Zombies to Os Mutantes. This is great stuff. What is it about England that allows them to take influences and turn them into something fun and exciting? I’m thinking the British Invasion’s take on Blues and Rock N Roll and then bands like The Shamen just taking as much in as possible and spitting it out as just incredible fun and familiar yet unique.

Last edited:
I think I am in the right place now for posting feedback for the listening club (instead of what's spinning posts). The Bees or A Band of Bees (on Apple Music) is a really enjoyable listen. It had my complete attention once Love in the Harbour came on. My favorite tracks are Love in the Harbour, Left Foot Stepdown, Got to Let Go, Listening Man, Stand and (This is for the) Better Days. I will be playing this more for sure. Thanks for sharing.

"I'm not going to hurt you."

This week's Listening Club selection is what you get when you mess with love (and/or pick me at random).

Most of my main picks were quickly ruled out due to physical inaccessibility, but I'm pleased with where things netted out:

Savages – Adore Life (2016)

494ad891.jpeg

Although I haven't been as active in this thread as I'd intended since the forum launch, I have lurked on several of the albums. Savages' quiet reservedness in the years following this cycle around this post-punk proclamation is somewhat reflective of that.

What I love about this album is that it feels made by sheer necessity. Its compositions and verses meander in ways that command constant attention, yet they always drive their point home — permeated with desperate optimism.

The rhythms are unrelenting. The battle of distortion and clarity: satisfying to the ears. The mood: darkly uplifting. The band even delivered the album with a guiding manifesto (which ties perfectly to the art's raised fist).

It’s about change and the power to change. It’s about metamorphosis and evolution. It’s about sticking to your guns and toughing it out. It’s about now, not tomorrow. It’s about recognizing your potential. It’s about self-doubt and inaction. It’s about you. It’s about me. It’s about you and me and the others. It’s about the choices we make. It’s about finding the poetry and avoiding the cliché. It’s about being the solution, not the problem. It’s about showing weakness to be strong. It’s about digging through your dirt to look for diamonds. It’s about claiming your right to think unacceptable thoughts. It’s about boredom and the things we do to drive it away. It’s about being on your own so you can be with people. It’s about knowing what it means to be human and what it might mean one day. It’s about the parts and the sum of the parts. It’s about the music and the message: together, one and the same. It’s about bass, guitars, drums, and vocals. It’s about opening-out and never, ever dying. But most of all it’s about love, every kind of love. Love is the answer.

Things have been quiet on the Savages front as of late. Singer Jehnny Beth has been producing her interview podcast Start Making Sense, contributing to the XY Chelsea soundtrack, featuring on Gorillaz's Humanz and performing on their tour. Rhythm section Ayse and Fay have been experimenting with electronics as 180db. Ayse is also 1/2 of bass duo Kite Base and releasing solo music as Esya. Guitarist Gemma has been scoring documentaries and exploring solo material as Bashan.

Adore Life continues beautifully where their breakthrough debut Silence Yourself left off, though I feel it hasn't received the attention it truly deserves. Thus, I'm inviting you all to (re)discover this under-appreciated release, in hopes that even more new Savages material is on the near horizon.

"I may die maybe tomorrow, so I need to say, 'I adore life!' Do you adore life?"

BONUS GIVEAWAY!

I accidentally preordered an extra copy back in 2016, so I'm going to gift it to one random thread participant who doesn't have this on vinyl. To be considered, fill out this quick Google Form with username and country of residence. I'll announce the winner in this thread next Monday (chosen at random), and will coordinate delivery via PM. (Shipped free domestically, 50/50 split cost internationally.)

Enter the Adore Life giveaway here!

Last edited:

This week's Listening Club selection is what you get when you mess with love (and/or pick me at random).

Most of my main picks were quickly ruled out due to physical inaccessibility, but I'm pleased with where things netted out:

View attachment 14690

Although I haven't been as active in this thread as I'd intended since the forum launch, I have lurked on several of the albums. Savages' quiet reservedness in the years following this cycle around this post-punk proclamation is somewhat reflective of that.

What I love about this album is that it feels made by sheer necessity. Its compositions and verses meander in ways that command constant attention, yet they always drive their point home — permeated with desperate optimism.

The rhythms are unrelenting. The battle of distortion and clarity: satisfying to the ears. The mood: darkly uplifting. The band even delivered the album with a guiding manifesto (which ties perfectly to the art's raised fist).

Things have been quiet on the Savages front as of late. Singer Jehnny Beth has been producing her interview podcast Start Making Sense, contributing to the XY Chelsea soundtrack, featuring on Gorillaz's Humanz and performing on their tour. Rhythm section Ayse and Fay have been experimenting with electronics as 180db. Ayse is also 1/2 of bass duo Kite Base and releasing solo music as Esya. Guitarist Gemma has been scoring documentaries and exploring solo material as Bashan.

Adore Life continues beautifully where their breakthrough debut Silence Yourself left off, though I feel it hasn't received the attention it truly deserves. Thus, I'm inviting you all to (re)discover this under-appreciated release, in hopes that even more new Savages material is on the near horizon.

"I may die maybe tomorrow, so I need to say, 'I adore life!' Do you adore life?"

@girlnevergoesout making sure you saw this!!

View attachment 14690

If you don't love me
You don't love anybody
If you don't love me
You don't love anybody
Ain't you glad it's you?
Ain't you glad it's you?
Ain't you glad it's you?
Ain't you glad it's YOOOOOOOOOOOU?

Great pick! I love this album!

Back