The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

I'm loving this. Perfect album to have on while I sip my morning coffee and catch up on some internet reading. It sounds oddly familiar yet at the same time completely new. I can't quite place who this album reminds me of.. Anyway great pick!

It’s like if Bjork were French.

I was dwelling on this when I listened to it again today.

Then as an experiment I also listened to Medúlla for reference (For anyone who doesn't know it's Björk's almost completely acapella album, so it kind of suits the Bodily Functions concept to me).
I also listened to RJD2 - Deadringer, because the early 2000's Trip Hop sound of the first few Bodily Functions tracks strongly reminded me of his track Ghostwriter, which for some reason has always felt very European. Like it would soundtrack an Italian tourism ad over people walking through vineyards and sipping coffee.

I guess my thoughts are that I agree, but I still have no idea what that 'European' sound to it all is. Interestingly I discovered that Matthew Herbert has actually worked with Björk before, I want to look more into that when I have time but that was a very astute comparison haha.

Happy Labor Day everybody! Even though it's a
holiday weekend, the Listening Club never rests... Our next selection will be announced soon, chosen by @ThePakoBuelna

I hope it's Avalancha De Éxitos by Café Tacvba, because "Alármala de tos" is a motherfuckingamazing song and I have a lot of things to say about it.

Well, when I first was selected to choose a new album to listen to, my mind was"What can I choose that will be good and almost nobody will have heard before?" Well, as you know we as a collective have heard pretty much everything there is, so it is kind of a hard task.

My love for Cafe Tacvba Is fairly known around here but I didn't choose any of their albums(this time). This time around I wanted to showcase another Mexican group called The Twin Tones. Known for their great Surf-Spaghetti-Western style their albums are filled with great tunes and are inspired by the old Western, cowboy movies. The dialogues you hear are from actual movies.

Nación Apache was released in 2005 at just 38 minutes in length, I think it's the perfect time for you to enjoy it, even if you don't like this kind of rock music.

Twin Tones-Nacion Apache

Sorry for not writing with more detail, I personally don't know much about this group although I do have and enjoy several of their albums. Let me know what you think and hope you'll enjoy it!

P.S: Thanks to @Bohnjaggs that is carrying on with the listening club and to all of you that have helped it carry on. Hopefully this will be a nice pick.

P.P.S: If you want some Cafe Tacvba, you know I'm your man, don't feel shy about asking for some tunes!

I hope it's Avalancha De Éxitos by Café Tacvba, because "Alármala de tos" is a motherfuckingamazing song and I have a lot of things to say about it.

Such a great song! Very dark too, but powerful. I also love Metamorfosis, Perfidia and Ojala Que Llueva Cafe from there.

I enjoyed Twin Tones way more than I anticipated. It sounded like Tarantino soundtrack fodder for sure. These guys are not taking themselves too seriously but their talent and wit is unmistakable. While the sounds are intentionally cliche they are very well executed and correctly mixed. I am looking forward to another listen.

So this has completely change the feeling of my commute through the canyons on my way to work. Really digging the Spaghetti Western sound track section of the album. Even though I don't understand the dialogue it really adds to the music just hearing it.

Just when I'm getting to work is when there is the abrupt change in tone starts. More of the Mexican/Rockabilly vibe.

I'll admit that I have a little confusion over Mexican musical genres. Is a song like Dorotero Arango considered Norteno music? That accordion! And whats the difference between those big brass bands with the flashy suits on Sabadao Gigante (RIP) and Los Tigres-Juala De Oro and all the music on the Los Lobos Album-La Pistola y el Corozon. Are any of these genres related to corridos/narco-corridos?

@ThePakoBuelna

So this has completely change the feeling of my commute through the canyons on my way to work. Really digging the Spaghetti Western sound track section of the album. Even though I don't understand the dialogue it really adds to the music just hearing it.

Just when I'm getting to work is when there is the abrupt change in tone starts. More of the Mexican/Rockabilly vibe.

I'll admit that I have a little confusion over Mexican musical genres. Is a song like Dorotero Arango considered Norteno music? That accordion! And whats the difference between those big brass bands with the flashy suits on Sabadao Gigante (RIP) and Los Tigres-Juala De Oro and all the music on the Los Lobos Album-La Pistola y el Corozon. Are any of these genres related to corridos/narco-corridos?

@ThePakoBuelna

Doroteo Arango I would put it in the Norteño genre. In my opinion the big brass band from Sabado Gigante and the like are more in the Banda style(which originates around Mazatlan, Sinaloa mostly and is mostly corridos). Los Tigres del Norte are also more in the Norteño style but in the early career they used to make the "narcocorridos". Don't know much about Los Lobos but they are mostly Rock/Southern Rock no?

Personally I don't enjoy much the banda and narcocorridos styles but there were many great songs in the 90's and back(between 70's and 00's). A personal favorite(and quinceañeras and weddings staple) is Bronco.

Fun Fact: Doroteo Arango is Pancho Villa's real name.

Really glad you liked it, it's a nice album IMO.

@debianlinux I'm playing catch up but thanks for recommending the Matthew Herbert album. I love it. I love this genre of music and as I discover more about Matthew Herbert...this is really a remarkable release and how it was recorded. I love the jazz elements and the neo-soul. The closest thing I could compare it to that I am familiar with is Zero 7 or DJ Logic...I apologize for the delay in reviewing I was on vacation last week and I don't think I will ever catch up...but I am glad I got to check this out. Very cool.

The selection this week is Gotye - Like Drawing Blood.

like drawing blood4-1328763581

My last turn, I chose Wax Tailor - Tales of the Forgotten Melodies, which pretty much everyone seemed to love; this album is about as known, about the same age, and actually reminds me a bit of Wax Tailor, it has some similar Plunderphonics vibes.

Wally (Wouter) De Backer is a Belgian born, Australian raised independent multi-instrumentalist recording artist. Better known as his solo music project Gotye, which he made releases as from 2001-2011. Those who begrudge that he has seemingly vanished since then may not know that he is a member of the band The Basics, who have steadily been releasing music from the mid 2000s to now.

Like Drawing Blood was released in 2006, to good success in Australia, however the vast majority of people know the name Gotye for 'Somebody That I Used To Know' which blew up about 5 years later. With a little digging online I've seen a few people (but in general this album seriously never made it out of the country) who looked back to this after the success of that one song, but judged it as the guy that hit number one in over 20 countries with a hipster breakup song. I think that is quite unfair, if you approach this album as just coming from a future Billboard topper you will be surprised and disappointed.

I have some fuzzy childhood memories of hearing this album and for that it comes with some heavy nostalgia; but since I was around 10 when it came out I suspect some of the memory of these songs is a bit exaggerated. But still in some way I grew up hearing them.
It has always felt to me like cool adult music that I didn't know or understand anything about except that I liked how it sounded. I have similar feelings towards the first Gorillaz album which is actually the right age for it, and is definitely the first music I can remember enjoying with my own volition; both are similarly genre defying and a bit weird. I usually shudder at the label 'indie rock', but this is kind of that mixed with 2000s plunderphonics/trip hop. You'll probably notice hints of that Gorillaz album, and my previous pick, blended with a sound somewhat like the recent Ball Park Music selection.

We only have 10% of the worlds population down here in the Southern Hemisphere and despite the popularity of its successor, my pick this week still feels a little like letting you guys in on one of our secrets, so I hope you enjoy Like Drawing Blood.

gotye had massive success after this, and - from memory - this was his side-project from being the drummer in the basics

wally de backer is a super talented dude who knows how to pull interesting sound together

this, his debut, always reminded me a lot of decoder ring

It's not that simple actually, he started out as Gotye in about 2001 with a series of sample based mini compilations which all ended up as his debut album Boardface in 2003. I've never liked it as much as the next two but it's well worth checking out if you're on a Wally De Backer deep dive. I think the confusion comes from the fact that Boardface was reissued alongside the release of Like Drawing Blood. Things didn't take off as Gotye until The Basics were established, but I think they started around the same time.

Back