The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

So listening to this again now and my thoughts are:

Jenny Beth is obviously great
I love the rhythm section, they drive the songs brilliantly and create a kind of hypnotic, almost dancey at points, feel
This means the guitar is free from the rhythm to create some sounds and lines that I adore

I love post punk...

First listen on Spotify. Question: the CD and vinyl also sound this sparse and muddy?
Hmm, spinning Side A on vinyl + Spotify right now for comparison. I streamed via Google Play on Sunday while refreshing my memory on it, but to be fair I only had one earbud in during our ride back from Detroit.

I've always known "The Answer" to be a super distorted song (maybe it is just muddiness?), but "Evil" and "Sad Person" sound great on wax. The guitar is noticeably distant in "Sad Person" and "Slowing Down the World," but I've always dug the lofty dimensionality that gives these songs. Feels like it occupies a space instead of some flat plane.

Just now realizing the record was mixed by Trentemoller. Makes sense given Jehnny Beth's appearances on his most recent album put out the same year. (Love that one, too!)

I'm a terrible judge of sound though, so it's hard for me to discern compression/muddiness. I'll just leave it at "Evil" and "Sad Person" having sounded especially good on vinyl.

Excellent pick, saw them live once (on tour for their first album) and they were incredible.
Post punk 4 life!
Savages was the second to last show I semi-professionally shot. Never found the right outlet to continue my show photography after moving to Chicago. Just stuck to quick 'grams from my phone ever since.

2013-09-16 Savages @ Metro by Evan Benner-7.jpg

Just got the green light on this:

I'm giving away my extra copy of Adore Life (sealed!) to one random thread contributor. Details added to this week's announcement post, but here's the gyst...

To be considered, fill out this quick Google Form. I'll randomly select one winner and announce them here Monday. Shipped free domestically, or split 50/50 shipping internationally (coordinated via PM). Must comment in this thread during this week to qualify!

Cheers!

Savages was the second to last show I semi-professionally shot. Never found the right outlet to continue my show photography after moving to Chicago. Just stuck to quick 'grams from my phone ever since.

View attachment 14828
I'll try to give this a listen tomorrow but I just wanted to say that my wife and I saw them at Coachella back when their first album was out but I haven't really kept up with their later stuff.
View attachment 14851

Without knowing much about them, I saw them live a few years ago, and I was hooked ever since. Great album, and I hope they make more!

Savages is THE modern act that I regret not seeing. They came through DC and I didn't/couldn't go. I thought I would see them next time around. Sigh. I deeply regret that.

Savages is THE modern act that I regret not seeing. They came through DC and I didn't/couldn't go. I thought I would see them next time around. Sigh. I deeply regret that.

Sorry you missed them!

I've been to many shows and this is one I distinctly remember. They presented themselves stoic and serious, and just rocked out and killed it. They only broke once when Jehnny Beth thanked the audience and after a silent moment someone from the crowd yelled out an exuberant "Thank YOU for coming here!" She smiled and chuckled a bit from that. I also remember she came out rocking those stilettos...

IMG_20160720_215820302.jpg

It was also one of those times where my usual concert buddies bailed on me, so I was there on my own. And they were the ones who told me about Savages and how great they are! I still had a great time and give them shit from time to time about it.

Sorry you missed them!

I've been to many shows and this is one I distinctly remember. They presented themselves stoic and serious, and just rocked out and killed it. They only broke once when Jehnny Beth thanked the audience and after a silent moment someone from the crowd yelled out an exuberant "Thank YOU for coming here!" She smiled and chuckled a bit from that. I also remember she came out rocking those stilettos...

View attachment 14857

It was also one of those times where my usual concert buddies bailed on me, so I was there on my own. And they were the ones who told me about Savages and how great they are! I still had a great time and give them shit from time to time about it.
Holy crap what a badass. Those heels!!!

She does a good job of talking about love and not seeming like some pie in the sky hippy or naive innocent girl. She actually sounds quite the opposite.

As for the muddiness. Her voice is right up front in the mix along with the bass with every song. The drums and guitar are where I'm hearing the muddiness. But both of them play in a style that is more about emotion/texture than hearing every note. The drummer is furious and is making a racket banging on the cymbals. The guitarist plays these washed out chords and feedback. There are times when they play conventional rhythm section riffs. Even when they do this it eventually dissolves into mayhem in the intense climaxes or choruses.

@EvanBenner you said that you have trouble hearing compression. When the drummer is banging on the cymbals, you are hearing a lot of compression. It makes them sound huge because gives them more sustain, like the guitar pedal of the same name.

This is definitely an album i'm gonna have to get into with repeated listens.

Thanx for all the answers about the muddiness. It is an interesting choice to sound like that, completely unusual for me and what I'm used to listen to.
Not a fan of post punk tbh, but I think I like the second half better than the first one. "I need something new" is the one that I liked the most, but I don't think it's an album I'm going to play again in a future.

Back