Linux Thread

inalone

I'm curious as to whether a vinyl community would have a lot of Linux users in it, so here we are!

I'm running Arch Linux with KDE at the moment - I've done a lot of distro hopping as well as WM/DE hopping and this is where I've landed for now but I expect to change in the near future. Once a distro hopper, always a distro hopper.

You’ll never guess what I run...
I've recently dabbled a fair bit with Debian 10 after it came out, and if I weren't so into Arch I would very happily main Debian - hell I did for a couple of weeks and it was mostly fine. I also ran it on my laptop for a bit until i wanted to try out Pop OS and I havent had a reason to take that off my laptop yet.

I'm starting down the Linux route by giving my old desktop Ubuntu. Next I'm planning to build a new ryzen desktop and run Linux. Also thinking about picking up a pinebook pro.

im in that weird point where i use linux a lot but also dont..

the thing is i am very indecisive.. and often want to move to move to it because i think "i dont need it"

then i realize i might wanna make music and there is no good music software on there (that or i keep thinking i'll play a game i never play)

i mostly used solus because ubuntu doesn't work on my laptop (nvidia optimus) and it is a genuinely great distro.. rolling release, but still pretty stable, and its nice to use and easy for newbies. i'm thinking of using manjaro but the thing is it can easily end up in my computer broken

I'm starting down the Linux route by giving my old desktop Ubuntu. Next I'm planning to build a new ryzen desktop and run Linux. Also thinking about picking up a pinebook pro.

Solid plan. Depending on how old the laptop is, I'd look into more lightweight Ubuntu derivatives such as Xubuntu. When you get the new Ryzen desktop, be careful with which distro you go for because support for the new Ryzen processors I think only started on kernel version 5.2 (someone may fact check me on that), which Ubuntu currently does not run on.

im in that weird point where i use linux a lot but also dont..

the thing is i am very indecisive.. and often want to move to move to it because i think "i dont need it"

then i realize i might wanna make music and there is no good music software on there (that or i keep thinking i'll play a game i never play)

i mostly used solus because ubuntu doesn't work on my laptop (nvidia optimus) and it is a genuinely great distro.. rolling release, but still pretty stable, and its nice to use and easy for newbies. i'm thinking of using manjaro but the thing is it can easily end up in my computer broken
Fair enough with the music, I have a Windows partition where the only installed software is Ableton. As for games, there's only one game I miss that doesn't run through Proton or natively yet - Black Ops 2. Apart from that I'm mostly fine with gaming

Solus is a fairly solid distro. I actually don't really recommend Manjaro personally, I recommend Endeavour OS as it uses the normal Arch repos rather than Manjaro's. I wouldn't worry too much about using an Arch based distro as long as you look at the Arch news before upgrading in case of any package issues (which I havent experienced as of yet and I've used Arch a fair bit)

I have a Windows partition where the only installed software is Ableton
i can't do that because its almost impossible to dual boot on windows 10, specifically because of even with ubuntu needing some kind of terminal command and with solus it being impossible... i dont even know if i wanna make music... i just... i am super duper picky and overthink everything

Solid plan. Depending on how old the laptop is, I'd look into more lightweight Ubuntu derivatives such as Xubuntu. When you get the new Ryzen desktop, be careful with which distro you go for because support for the new Ryzen processors I think only started on kernel version 5.2 (someone may fact check me on that), which Ubuntu currently does not run on.
I actually added that bit about Ryzen specifically because I know it can be a minefield lol. We built a computer at work and somehow ended up with an extra Ryzen processor which is why I'm going with that. It's over a year old at this point though so we'll see how it works. I'd be down with another distro as well, especially because this will be a family computer.

My Problem with most distros is that the graphics drivers always break on me

I install Ubuntu and am unable to reach a GUI because I guess there is confusion on whether to use the Intel GPU or the Nvidia 940M on my laptop so it has a panic and leads me stuck in a blank terminal

Or in KDE neons case showing an error for 2ms and then rebooting, then doing the same thing

one of the only apps i might need on windows is EAC because i might buy some CDs for music thats not on vinyl in the future

one of the only apps i might need on windows is EAC because i might buy some CDs for music thats not on vinyl in the future
I have that installed, it works perfectly through WINE as long as you install dotnet20 in the prefix.
My Problem with most distros is that the graphics drivers always break on me

I install Ubuntu and am unable to reach a GUI because I guess there is confusion on whether to use the Intel GPU or the Nvidia 940M on my laptop so it has a panic and leads me stuck in a blank terminal

Or in KDE neons case showing an error for 2ms and then rebooting, then doing the same thing
That dual GPU laptop thing can be a pain in some distros but i think you can get it working with the right package, though I admit I can't remember the name.

Any recommendations for a Linux music player? Heard good things about Audacious and Clementine.

I'm curious about KDE, but I'm not sure I understand it. It's not a distro like Ubuntu right? I want to try it out, what is the best way to do that?

KDE is the K Desktop Environment. It is one of the more popular desktops for Linux. It can be installed irrespective of the distribution (within reason). I prefer lighter window managers but it’s hard to go wrong with KDE. For a very long time it was either KDE or Gnome.

if you are using Ubuntu then issuing sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop will put you in business.

KDE is the K Desktop Environment. It is one of the more popular desktops for Linux. It can be installed irrespective of the distribution (within reason). I prefer lighter window managers but it’s hard to go wrong with KDE. For a very long time it was either KDE or Gnome.

if you are using Ubuntu then issuing sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop will put you in business.
Nice! Thanks. If I run that command, will it wipe my hard drive? I just have one HDD in my old computer, no separate SSD

I haven't used Ubuntu in a few years, but it shouldn't wipe anything. It would add KDE to your existing install and may or may not switch your desktop. I think I remember a menu to the login screen so you can choose when you log in. All you apps, KDE, Gnome, and Unity, should work fine in all dekstop environments, but they might look out of place.

Nice! Thanks. If I run that command, will it wipe my hard drive? I just have one HDD in my old computer, no separate SSD
apholden is correct. Installing KDE will simply add to your existing system. Depending on your current window manager you may be offered a choice between installed managers at each boot or required to decide which to use moving forward from next boot. Please understand a window manager is not the core system or not even necessarily a suite of apps (although KDE is associated with a large number of apps starting with the letter k). Window managers are simply different means of interacting with your system. Think of them like launchers for your phone. You can have more than one installed but can only use one at any given time. Ultimately, regardless of window management layer, the same underlying stem is exposed via traditional command line.

Back