Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

Ok, this is the "Official Update" post :)

The Polk's have been moved to the PLX/NAD system, the ELACs have found a new home and the ZU's, I believe, have been dialed in pretty well as far as positioning goes. They sound better with each passing day :)

I think we're in a good place with the system/s, couldn't be happier, a cart upgrade/change for the UD is probably on the horizon :)

20200221_210527.jpg

Ok, this is the "Official Update" post :)

The Polk's have been moved to the PLX/NAD system, the ELACs have found a new home and the ZU's, I believe, have been dialed in pretty well as far as positioning goes. They sound better with each passing day :)

I think we're in a good place with the system/s, couldn't be happier, a cart upgrade/change for the UD is probably on the horizon :)

View attachment 33753

Is the NAD a 316? Great stuff, Anthony!

Just added a nice pair of Harbeth M30s to my rig. The TV studio I work at has moved buildings and these were going to the skip unless someone wanted them. I wanted them and I’ve had my name on the back of them since we knew we were moving two years ago so finally, here they are. They’re the pro version which come in a pretty dull gunmetal grey finish which isn’t the prettiest for home use but still, I’m happy to have them. I need to get some decent stands for them now.

F6EBF61E-54E8-48C7-B8C7-621C7C59A19E.jpeg

Just added a nice pair of Harbeth M30s to my rig. The TV studio I work at has moved buildings and these were going to the skip unless someone wanted them. I wanted them and I’ve had my name on the back of them since we knew we were moving two years ago so finally, here they are. They’re the pro version which come in a pretty dull gunmetal grey finish which isn’t the prettiest for home use but still, I’m happy to have them. I need to get some decent stands for them now.

View attachment 36379

Nice! That’s an impressive pair of speakers! I actually really like the look of them in the grey!

View attachment 36379

That’s amazing. I’ve never seen a pair in that finish. Those are keepers for sure. Here’s some trivia- Harbeth cabinets are made by Spendor. On this side of the pond those were $3200. Congrats!!!

Is that a neutrik plug on the back? Have you got cables for that or do you want me to ask Harbeth how much a domestic terminal panel would cost?

Is that a neutrik plug on the back? Have you got cables for that or do you want me to ask Harbeth how much a domestic terminal panel would cost?

I have got cables, I took them from work too! Thanks though and good to know you have contacts there. These have seen a good 8 hours of use each day for 7 years so it wouldn’t surprise me if they need a little tlc at some point.

So, just in time for the world ending this turned up. I have the smaller model of this, which I liberated from my dad’s loft 3 years ago. In that time it hasn’t spun, and every attempt to get it working has been delayed in some way or another.

When I was in London I randomly met a guy that makes fancy mods for these things, so it got me thinking about getting a new one. Found this one cheap, already in a new plinth, so it was a no-brainer. It spins, and I just need to get the tone arm set up.

For those not in the know, this is a (Goldring) Lenco GL75. It’s an idler drive turntable, which has a great reputation. I’ll live with it for a bit, then consider some mods. The tonearm is the weak spot, but my contact makes fancy carbon fibre jobs, and you can get decent bolt in replacements. Aiming to try a record on it today, with the main caveat being that I won’t have aligned it properly. I’m planning to throw a cheap MM on it and set it up later.

1DF043E3-3D93-415B-88F1-3406FF7FB1E7.jpeg

So, just in time for the world ending this turned up. I have the smaller model of this, which I liberated from my dad’s loft 3 years ago. In that time it hasn’t spun, and every attempt to get it working has been delayed in some way or another.

When I was in London I randomly met a guy that makes fancy mods for these things, so it got me thinking about getting a new one. Found this one cheap, already in a new plinth, so it was a no-brainer. It spins, and I just need to get the tone arm set up.

For those not in the know, this is a (Goldring) Lenco GL75. It’s an idler drive turntable, which has a great reputation. I’ll live with it for a bit, then consider some mods. The tonearm is the weak spot, but my contact makes fancy carbon fibre jobs, and you can get decent bolt in replacements. Aiming to try a record on it today, with the main caveat being that I won’t have aligned it properly. I’m planning to throw a cheap MM on it and set it up later.

View attachment 37148
So, I’ve got it up and running. There’s sound, but I’ve definitely not got the arm set up correctly. Might need to do some tinkering - I’ll move that over onto the general equipment thread. It’s also bloody heavy - 22kg. My record stand is one of those free standing floating cabinets, and I’m definitely worried about it...

IMG_0455.jpg

Been a lurker for awhile here, thought I'd post a pic...

Audio Technica VM540ML
Music Hall MMF 2.3 SE
U Turn Pluto
Cambridge CXA60
Q Acoustics 3030i (with their matching stands)

Pretty happy, although I'm in the market to upgrade the Pluto (I'll make another post on the equipment thread). The Q Acoustics speakers are their new 3030i's. Pretty happy with them. I ditched the subwoofer and am very pleased with the result. Sound much like the 3020's, but bigger...pretty big bookshelves.

Glad to see you started up again when the old place ditched the forum :)

Greg

Last edited:
View attachment 38663

Audio Technica VM540ML
Music Hall MMF 2.3 SE
U Turn Pluto
Cambridge CXA60

Pretty happy, although I'm in the market to upgrade the Pluto (I'll make another post on the equipment thread). The Q Acoustics speakers are their new 3030i's. Pretty happy with them. I ditched the subwoofer and am very pleased with the result. Sound much like the 3020's, but bigger...pretty big bookshelves.

Greg
Thanks for coming out of the bushes ;) I do like the retro look of the Q Acoustics.

The Q Acoustics speakers are their new 3030i's. Pretty happy with them. I ditched the subwoofer and am very pleased with the result. Sound much like the 3020's, but bigger...pretty big bookshelves.
Very nice! I have the 3010i speakers on my desk at work. But I haven't seen them in weeks. Hope they're ok, I miss them...

View attachment 38663

Audio Technica VM540ML
Music Hall MMF 2.3 SE
U Turn Pluto
Cambridge CXA60

Greg
Looks great! Welcome :)

Did a swap around of my tele and my system today because isolation has sent me that nuts...

Im happy with it, the centre of the tele is nearer my seating position, the speakers are in the exact same position and I have better access to the back of the system (don’t need to move the Kallax).

DC2B8402-B411-4A99-896E-84B3B88C0AE7.jpeg

Last edited:
Did a swap around of my tele and my system today because isolation has sent me that nuts...

Im happy with it, the centre of the tele is nearer my seating position, the speakers are in the exact same position and I have better access to the back on the system (don’t need to move the Kallax).

View attachment 40167
This may be a dumb question and I've seen your system enough times, but is that the actual front of your tube amps, or the side?

This may be a dumb question and I've seen your system enough times, but is that the actual front of your tube amps, or the side?

Thats the front. They’re much wider, 400mm, than they are deep, 200m. The connectors are all on the reverse of what you see.

Back