Klipsch Speakers Thread

I’m currently using Klipsch r-51pms! For my first pair of speakers than haven’t been a BeatsPill or a JBL Pulse I am very pleased with their sound, especially within my LA apartment. Anything more powerful may get me in trouble with the landlord. With that being said, I find I can max out the volume on a lot of my records with still a bit to be desired. Does anyone know a good budget amp (vintage or new) that would work well with R-51PMs?

P.s. These speakers have a pre-amp inside of them, would I even be able to hook up an external amp and push the volume higher, is that a thing? Still new to the world of audio gear and turntables 😅

I’m currently using Klipsch r-51pms! For my first pair of speakers than haven’t been a BeatsPill or a JBL Pulse I am very pleased with their sound, especially within my LA apartment. Anything more powerful may get me in trouble with the landlord. With that being said, I find I can max out the volume on a lot of my records with still a bit to be desired. Does anyone know a good budget amp (vintage or new) that would work well with R-51PMs?

P.s. These speakers have a pre-amp inside of them, would I even be able to hook up an external amp and push the volume higher, is that a thing? Still new to the world of audio gear and turntables 😅

What’s your current equipment chain?

Right now it’s just the turntable (Audiotechnica LP60) running directly into the R-51pms!

Right now it’s just the turntable (Audiotechnica LP60) running directly into the R-51pms!

Okay, did a little Googling. The line level (internal phono) output on the LP60 is 150mV, which is actually quite low - I’d expect something more like 350-500mV. What this means is that the phono stage in the LP60 is underpowered and your R-51pms are consequently having to amplify a very soft signal. You could fix this with an external phono stage with an adjustable gain setting, say, an ART DJPREII for $35. Insert the new stage between your table and speakers, being sure to set the LP60 to ‘Phono’ so it sends an unamplified signal. The DJPREII has a max gain of 45dB, which would actually be just about right for the 2.5mV signal coming from the LP60.

You might be better off in the long run with a better deck, but this would certainly work to fix the immediate issue.

Okay, did a little Googling. The line level (internal phono) output on the LP60 is 150mV, which is actually quite low - I’d expect something more like 350-500mV. What this means is that the phono stage in the LP60 is underpowered and your R-51pms are consequently having to amplify a very soft signal. You could fix this with an external phono stage with an adjustable gain setting, say, an ART DJPREII for $35. Insert the new stage between your table and speakers, being sure to set the LP60 to ‘Phono’ so it sends an unamplified signal. The DJPREII has a max gain of 45dB, which would actually be just about right for the 2.5mV signal coming from the LP60.

You might be better off in the long run with a better deck, but this would certainly work to fix the immediate issue.

Wow! Thank you so much for looking into that for me. I’m going to look into that now, and yeah better deck is defintely in the pipeline. Saving up for a Rega Planar 3 atm! Thanks for your help dude!

Wow! Thank you so much for looking into that for me. I’m going to look into that now, and yeah better deck is defintely in the pipeline. Saving up for a Rega Planar 3 atm! Thanks for your help dude!

Whatever table you end up with will most likely require an outboard phono stage anyway, so I’d make some room in your budget for a quality one.

Whatever table you end up with will most likely require an outboard phono stage anyway, so I’d make some room in your budget for a quality one.

Any ones you’d recommend that are less of a budget option like the ART DJPRE?

Any ones you’d recommend that are less of a budget option like the ART DJPRE?

I think @HiFi Guy is your best resource there. Really depends on your budget.

View attachment 856Checking in with my Forte I’s with Crites x-overs and upgraded TI tweeters. Really happy with them but can’t stop thinking about the Forte III’s. Anyone heard both to compare?

I haven’t, but I’d like to. I know other than a slightly different cabinet shape it’s got titanium tweeter and midrange drivers. I’ve generally heard raves, though. A couple folks seem to feel the F3s aren’t quite as smooth as the F2, but I don’t think that’s a consensus opinion.

Added a subwoofer to my setup this morning. I had forgotten that I had a Klipsch Sub (R-10SW) that I had put away when I got my old SVS SB-2000, which I sold because I got a PrimaLuna amp which had no sub hookup.

Remembered this morning that I can hook a sub up to the Luxman. After fiddling with the settings for a few hours, it’s dialed in nicely. Adds a nice little extra depth to the Heresy’s.

I wish that I hadn’t sold the SVS. I’ll probably get another one shortly.

Added a subwoofer to my setup this morning. I had forgotten that I had a Klipsch Sub (R-10SW) that I had put away when I got my old SVS SB-2000, which I sold because I got a PrimaLuna amp which had no sub hookup.

Remembered this morning that I can hook a sub up to the Luxman. After fiddling with the settings for a few hours, it’s dialed in nicely. Adds a nice little extra depth to the Heresy’s.

I wish that I hadn’t sold the SVS. I’ll probably get another one shortly.

Honestly I don’t know how much the Fortes get you over the Heresies paired with a nice musical sub. The only real Achilles heel of those speakers is the low-end, and if you can provide that by other means...

So the Heresy are out on the bay and will sell. So I’m in the market for Fortes. I am considering either the Distressed Oak or the Ebony Special Editions from Crutchfield.

There is still this little itch about the JBL L100 Classics and I wish that I could swing getting both of them in my space for a shootout, but I love the Klipsch sound and will go with the Forte III’s.

This is it for the upgrades for me for a long time. Time to exponentially grow the vinyl collection and enjoy!

Will be without music for a week or two now while I get my finances in order, I’m sure I’ll be looking at a ton of speakers in the meantime. Maybe someone will convince me of a different route for the same money?

Back