John Prine

I wore my favorite shirt yesterday. He beat cancer twice so I was actually starting to feel optimistic about a recovery. The loss I feel now is about as immense as I imagine it can be for someone I never met. I hope his family find peace.

9F9B65B0-A407-4E6B-ADBA-F900D142FD24.jpeg

BA513D7D-1040-4576-B1CA-B8CF8677108D.jpeg

Although I have a fair John Prine album collection these two live cuts are off of the Steve Goodman Tribute album. A fitting memory from my favorite John Prine live concert experience. John paid respects to his friend Steve G by playing one of his songs and telling a personal story on stage.

Later he invited Bonnie Raitt back up on stage for the encore. They sang Angel From Montgomery together. Even in good times this song can touch your soul and stir up a tear or two. RIP.

Last edited:
The world is a darker place today. Prine felt almost like an epicentre of everything I love about songwriting and music in general. And the cover art for "Sweet Revenge" is still one of the coolest ever. Spun it today and once again found myself just listening, really close.
IMG_20200408_123355_715.jpg

I'm too sad to post a proper tribute or memorial, but I wanted to make a thread to honor this brilliant man and songwriter. He's had such an impact on me, and I know he has on many others as well.

Rest easy, good sir.

Will check him out - I only vaguely know the name but perhaps it’s one of those where u know a number of the tunes without linking to an actual artist.

⬆ Image

92018453_115010676825146_3446285853425241600_n.jpg

Listening through John's albums today, hitting hard. Like so many of his songs, Crooked Piece of Time felt really applicable to right now.

"Yesterday morning an ill wind came
blew your picture
right out of the picture frame
even blew the candle out
from underneath the flame
Yesterday morning an ill wind came."

A couple of years back, a good friend was going through a really tough spell. Like a lot of my good college friends, we had scattered to separate parts of the country and had to work to see each other. He asked a group of us if we would be interested in meeting in Louisville for a weekend to see John Prine (and Colter Wall). It was a no brainer.

About a week before the show, both of our daughters had surgeries unexpectedly rescheduled for the day of the show (Friday). Although ostensibly for my friend, I needed that trip badly too, and we were both really bummed. We ended up biting the bullet, and spending a silly amount of money to cancel & change flights/hotels/stubhub tickets, and flew to Cincinnati to see him the following night (with Tyler Childers).

Our big weekend away turned into a single night and it was just the two of us, but it was amazing. We both went home exhausted, hungover, and entirely at ease.

That's what John Prine and his music will always mean to me. Like an old friend, it is a reliable help through the tough times and it has a great power to bring people together.

R.I.P. Thanks for Everything.

Back