I've designed a new turntable cabinet for myself. Would love your input on it!

Turntable cabinet 2.jpgTurntable Cabinet.jpg
The interior will be Walnut plywood with a black or charcoal dark stain. The outside shell is Walnut with a clear coat. The top will be a bleached or white washed Ash. The top is actually thicker than it looks (don't we all wish it was always thicker than it looks...) It is rabbeted and set into the case. This gives a thick top to absorb vibrations, but without looking like it is that thick. The raised part that the TT sits on will actually be set on isolation feet into a cavity that will be cut in to the larger slab top. Two shallow drawers are right below the top. Then a component area. Then vinyl storage.

My only concern would be those stylish mid century style feet. They look great, but I might be worried about stability as you load that thing up. Based on the design they'd have maybe a 1/2" screw into the frame?
I'm not sure I'd fully trust those to hold up a potential 300lbs+ load.

150lbs of records, probably 30-50lbs for the amp shelf, 20lbs for the TT. That's before the weight of a solid wood cabinet and wood isolation. It's going to be heft on it's own, but extremely heavy when fully loaded.

Looks great! My only comment would be the space either side of the amp. I'd have that shelf the same height as the bottom shelf so you could store more vinyl if you had nothing else to slot in there.
I originally designed it with 2 rows of record storage and just the drawers above them, but didn't like the proportions. It just looked like a galaxy with a top slapped on it.
I wish I was into 7" singles. Would be a great spot for them. I will probably just put decorative turned pieces there if it looks too empty.

That looks great, what are the dimensions going to be? I was about to ask if you're going to build it yourself when I noticed your name haha. It'd be cool to see pictures of the fab process if you're cool with posting.
Sure! Whenever I someday get to build it. Ha! The problem with being a professional woodworker is that most of the woodworking I get to do has to pay the bills.
I hope I can get to it in the next few months. I need the vinyl storage...

My only concern would be those stylish mid century style feet. They look great, but I might be worried about stability as you load that thing up. Based on the design they'd have maybe a 1/2" screw into the frame?

150lbs of records, probably 30-50lbs for the amp shelf, 20lbs for the TT. That's before the weight of a solid wood cabinet and wood isolation. It's going to be heft on it's own, but extremely heavy when fully loaded.
The bottom will actually be 1.5" thick, but with a rabbet in the bottom plywood layer to give it the 1/4" reveal. That and a full 3/4" back SHOULD be enough strength, but I need to run some numbers in the sagulator to be sure. It may require a bit more engineering. But if I can keep that look, I really want to, since it fits the idea so well

Also, I will be turning the feet myself, so I can turn a tenon on the end that sets into the bottom of the box and it would be much stronger than just screwing it

Also, I will be turning the feet myself, so I can turn a tenon on the end that sets into the bottom of the box and it would be much stronger than just screwing it
You could also do some thicker wood or even metal feet towards the center. So a total of 5 or 6 feet. They stay out of sight, but add a big amount of support. I've seen people do that with the kallax when that add some feet to the unit to prevent sag and offer some more stability.

I originally designed it with 2 rows of record storage and just the drawers above them, but didn't like the proportions. It just looked like a galaxy with a top slapped on it.
I wish I was into 7" singles. Would be a great spot for them. I will probably just put decorative turned pieces there if it looks too empty.
Heh, didn't notice my phone had autocorrected "kalax" to "galaxy"

I dunno, I use a vintage mid-century piece, quite wide with 4 spindle legs. prob has 200 or so records in it, flipbins, a lamp, and TT on top.

buuuut the antique piece is prob less heavy wood than the one @SMeekWoodworks is constructing, so I guess the load is an important consideration.

I wouldn’t stress the sturdiness of construction in the least. Actual solid pieces of wood tend to make for really sturdy furniture. Even laminate/plywood results are pretty stout. The amount of weight that more solid wood construction can support compared to the MDF crap from places Ikea are totally different worlds. Of course I would imagine that OP is well aware of all of these arguments. I mean he is the professional after all.

Last edited:
Looks amazing! Surprised no one has mentioned this yet but I would build in at least an inch of clearance above the vents of the Yamaha reciever. The current design is going to choke it out, especially if you run it for a long time, or if you’re putting a heavy load on it. I agree with not adding a second row of vinyl storage as that would make the proportions whacky, but I think the amp needs a little more clearance for peace if mind and any potential upgrade room. Otherwise I think everything else is up to you aesthetically and functionally.

Looks amazing! Surprised no one has mentioned this yet but I would build in at least an inch of clearance above the vents of the Yamaha reciever. The current design is going to choke it out, especially if you run it for a long time, or if you’re putting a heavy load on it. I agree with not adding a second row of vinyl storage as that would make the proportions whacky, but I think the amp needs a little more clearance for peace if mind and any potential upgrade room. Otherwise I think everything else is up to you aesthetically and functionally.
Good to know. That was just an amp that was already drawn in the Sketchup 3d warehouse. For now, it will just be my Onkyo there, but more space for venting is smart

I just saw this thread and was about to mention the cooling situation looked tight. A little extra headroom and perhaps some rear vents might be a good idea.

looks great!

Back